417 messages Options
123456 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1984 Bronco build thread

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's on the hunt!  Hope all goes as well today with the installation.  Shoot a video so we can hear it run!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Thanks guys! I lm really looking forward to braised shanks!

Well, its all put together

I must have left the key in the on position and the transmission in reverse, my battery was totally dead. After recharging it for an hour or so I had enough juice to roll the starter for about 30 seconds. It never fired up. I do have the smell of gasoline in to tail pipe. All vacuum ports are plugged/hooked up except for two small ones. One of those is the vacuum advance to the distriutor, and the other is getting plugged. I just dont know which is which, my plan was to get is started and then see which one pulls vacuum at idle, plug it and then hook the vacuum advance to the other.

I assume that the ignition system is good, it ran with the ignition exactly as it is now before I tore into everything.

Im at a bit of a loss. I guess Ill double check the idle screws to see if they are about 1.5 turns out. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

1984 Bronco, mild built 300-6, Np435, 3.55 gears, 8.8 rear with Eaton TrueTrac, D44 TTB front, 31" tires, Duraspark II, Offy C, EFI manifolds, Holley 390, No AC, 3G alternator, front receiver
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks good!

I would check for spark to be sure on the ignition system.  
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Thanks Grumpin! I took it off the wall charger and hooked it up to my truck with jumper cables, as well as making sure the idle mix screws were at 1.5 turns. Between all of that, it fired right up! I spent about 30 minutes diddling with the idle mix and the curb idle speed trying to get max vacuum at 650rpm or so. I got up to about 16.5-17 in hg. It idled fairly smooth like that. I believe I may have some slight intake leaks on the rear intake runners. Im going to let the engine cool and retorque all of the manifold nuts. Im sure that my timing could use some tuning but Ill have to wait for Monday to borrow a freinds timing light.

I did take it for a quick run around the neighborhood. Im sure its not tuned for best drivability as Im a novice with a carberator, but there is a pretty good difference in how it drives. The best way to describe it is to say that its like having dropped a lightly loaded trailer after pulling it for a long time. It accelerates MUCH more readily from 1000rpm to 2000rpm. Didnt get it going much faster than that since Im not positive about A/F or tuning/timing.

Im pleased, and Im sure that it will get even better as I get it sealed up and tuned. Anyone have any suggestions on how to upload a video? Ive never done it before.

As always, thanks for all of your help! You guys have really moved this project ahead time wise and have also helped me with the confidence to do something like this in the first place.
1984 Bronco, mild built 300-6, Np435, 3.55 gears, 8.8 rear with Eaton TrueTrac, D44 TTB front, 31" tires, Duraspark II, Offy C, EFI manifolds, Holley 390, No AC, 3G alternator, front receiver
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!!!  That is SUCH a good feeling!  

And, glad to see that there is a noticeable difference.  Those are the really fun projects.  

On the video, the easiest way I've found is to upload it to Youtube, get the "embed" code, come here and tick the "Message is in HTML Format" box, and paste the code in.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
In reply to this post by StraightSix
Well, here is the end of day update-

I got it to idle beautifly at about 700rpm and 18inHg bu adjusting the idle mix screws and the idle adjustment screw. I did all of this with the vacuum gage plugged in to the line that normally goes to my PCV. And ofcourse, after getting to idle so well at 700 I plugged that hose back into the PCV and it idles at 1000 now. I guess I should have known better. Now Im using the break booster line for the vac gage. Ive got it idling sorta rough at 900rpm+ and about 20inHg, but that is fluctuating by about 1 inHg because of the sorta rough idle. The idle adjustment screw seems to be out of useful travel. Turning the idle mix screws in slows the engine down but it gets even rougher. I guess Ill sleep and try this again tomorrow.

In other news, my new exhaust is definitely hot enough to melt/burn up my E-choke wire if anyone was curious. Doh.

In spite of some trouble, its running for the first time in weeks and I felt good enough about it to drive the 7 mile trip to town and back! I suppose there will always be more to do but it feels great to have it up and running again. My "custom" throttle bracket has some give to it and the pedal feel on the accelerator is a bit mushy, you have to put your foot in it a little deeper that before to get the "slack" out of all of the various throttle mechanisms. Its hard to say if its stumbling off idle or when I shift up a gear, or if its just not driving great off idle and at gear shifts because my foot is "mis-calibrated". Tomorrow may tell. Thanks guys!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So excited for you!

And, as you said, it's only going to get better as the truck gets dialed in.  😉

Progress is good! 👍
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As you've probably worked out, the PCV valve is a calibrated leak and you have to adjust the idle air/fuel mix to accommodate it.  But now with it hooked up you have too much air and when you give it enough fuel to run correctly it idles too fast.  That says you have a vacuum leak somewhere else.  Maybe when you tighten up the intake bolts tomorrow it'll seal off?

Anyway, congrat's!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Gary,
Im sure youre correct. I believe there may be a slight leak on the rear intake runners still. I know there is some air getting in through the barb to the intake from the break booster. Maybe some on the back face of the carb. In short, youre very likely right.

If I had though a little harder I would have realized that I couldnt use the PCV hose.

Thanks!  
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Job well done

I had my stock intake & EFI manifolds installed and running great and then had to pull them to fix leaking freeze plugs.
When I got it back together I also had a intake vacuum leak. The manifold slid down a little before I got the bolts tight. Had to loosen the bolts and lift it a little and tighten them back up. I think its ok now as its been running that way for many many miles now.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Hey everyone!
Dave- I may have to do the same as I think I may still have a slight leak.

Other than a possible small leak, its running well and Ive been working on tuning. Driveability is good other than an issue bogging down from when starting from a stop in 2nd (np435). This can be avoided by feathering in the accelerator a lottle ahead of the clutch. Its a good bit peppier than before. Im not sure if I made a timing/tuning change that had a big positive effect or if It just feels like a more pronounced difference, but whatever it is I think the upgrade did a lot.

Ive driven it back and forth to work and around town a good bit, everything seems fine for now.

Its been a busy few days as Ive been building my winch mount for the front receiver (I can do a breif write up on the front receiver if there is interest) the winch is now installed and wired forbthe first time in about 6 months

My tachometer is now malfunctioning. Its reading about 2500rpm at idle, which should be between about 500 and 800. It just started doing this today. I didnt have too long to investigate today, but I did pull the tachometer plug in the ds2 harness apart. Everything there looked fine. I guess I get to do more research!

Thanks for reading!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You might check the tach terminal is not grounded.
No ground for six cylinder, ground terminal for eight.

That winch setup looks great!
Very low profile for something that mounts in a receiver.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Thanks Jim! That was one of the main things I wanted. Not only does it look better for them to be tight like that, I suspect minimizing the amount of square tubing is a good thing. No reason to give that thing more leverage!

Hopefully I can play with the tach some today. It was fine until I cranked it up yesterday. Is your suspicion that the "v8" terminal on the tsch itself became grounded somehow?

Thanks! And by the way, I hope everyone had a great, safe Thanksgiving
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the winch looks great.  Close to the bumper.  And a writeup on how you did the receiver would be helpful, for sure.

On the tach, mine recently went wonky and it turned out the DS-II box had failed.  It was firing and the engine was running, but very poorly.  Is yours running correctly?

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Gary,
Wow.. its a brand new ds2 motorcraft branded box. Hopefully thats not it. Im not sure as I only had it running at an idle in the driveway and didnt even let it get hot. Ill let ut get hot and take a spin around the neighborhood today. I wonder if I can get my money back from summit if it turns out to be a bad ds2 box.. Thanks!

Ill sit down and look through the pictures I do have of the front receiver, then make a basic write up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mine was a brand new box.  Used it to break in the cam on Big Blue.  But the engine ran horribly and the tach was erratic.  I had a spare mounted below it and after 25 minutes of running to break in the cam I turned it off and swapped boxes.  The engine ran very well after that and the tach settled right down.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Depending on your idle speed, your 'issue'(if I understand it correctly) in 2nd is not unusual. Mine is set at 640Rpm and if I dump the clutch in 2nd it will stall. I can slowly release the clutch on anything other than an incline without throttle, but since that requires to much attention I usually give it a little throttle as well.

How is the tuning coming along otherwise, did you get a light on the timing yet? You can set the timing with the vacuum gauge.

Good luck with the tach issue.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Is the tach jumping around?
Or is it steady, and just reading high?

Are you sure your pickup to reluctor distance is correct and the distributor shaft has no slop?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Well, I went out and started it up, it runs smooth, drives well, and now the tach seems to be reading right. Im not sure what happened, looks like I have an intermittent problem to solve.

Gary- thats crazy. I would have hoped for better. The spare box mounted in place is a neat idea though. I might need to go pick up a second box to keep in the back.

I attempted to set my timing with the vacuum guage, but I drew maximum idle vacuum at something like 45 degrees btdc. That seemed like it couldnt be a good idea so I locked it in at 10 btdc. More to come on timing. I was under the impression that you retard the timing until you reach maximum manifold vacuum then back off 2 degrees.

As for what it was doing yesterday, it was running smooth but the tach was reading 2500 at idle. The needle may have had some movement and bounce to it. As for relictor distance, I have no idea. I dont recall any slop in the distributor shaft.
123456 ... 21