1983 light duty F250

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1983 light duty F250

viven44
I visited “Steve” today. Steve is a veteran retired mechanic who I met once while selling a vehicle.. he is the one that taught me these trucks (mostly via phone) and nifty hacks on them so I always felt I needed to help him out. Well he is in financial troubles now (reverse mortgage related) and I helped him out some last month some for all the time he spent with me in the past.

I think he needs more help and I figured if I buy one of his trucks that would help him some more. I saw this F250 in his ‘yard’.

It’s more or less turn-key and is a driver. He says it has original 110k miles. Has an inline 6, 4x4, T18. He said that rear bumper is stock and part of some “package”.

The floor pans are a bit crusty, but still ok and there is some rust on the driver side cab corner. AC needs a recharge possibly. The inline 6 has a very small exhaust leak, but otherwise appears to be a good driver. Based on inspection records, he has put over 20K miles in the past 2 years!!

What’s a fair offer on this truck ?

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1983 light duty F250

mat in tn
I see trucks like this listed for sale anywhere from 1500 to 7500 depending on so many variables. it's more important for him to price it than for you to make an offer lest you be offending or over charitable.  this could be a sticky situation. but either way, if you both walk away happy, who is to say right or wrong. I paid under 1k for a 2wd one a couple years ago. 4wd has a bit more value for sure. certainly, for all the snow in texas.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This post was updated on .
I think you summarized it well. He wanted to hear the number from me.

The only clue he gave me is that his significant other had it for sale for $6500 a couple months ago and said there was a lot of interest…. But evidently not sold.

Btw the trucks name is “Charlie”. Named it after his dad. He seemed pretty attached to the truck, but definitely could use the money.... I want it to be completely fair, if it errs on the side of a charitable purchase so be it... I'm looking for fair value + $1000 over to help him out. Just don't know what that is.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I sell trucks and one thing is for certain. "You can't sell sentiment"! if there happens to be a shared attachment that's another matter. once you buy an heirloom you become the caretaker of it. custodian if you will. I still have the truck that I bought before I ever had children. the oldest will be thirty in a few months. I feel that she may want it one day yet who would actually care for it? would it become a burden for her? these are the sentiment "issues".
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
He has many others. At least 3 other 90s F250/F350s with 5 speeds, non-turbo diesels... those are crew cabs and probably "too much truck" for me because they have been worked the s**t out still chugging along. A 89' Bronco... He also had a nice 1/2 ton 77 or 78 Chevy but in non-running condition.... but when I saw that bullnose I was shocked as he never told me about it... and it seems to be such a good running vehicle... he probably still really needs it to get around consider the shape of all the other ones....
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

thelastkeg
A non-turbo crew cab 5 speed certainly does sound interesting, even if it is beat to death.  That just means it's even cheaper.  

On the bullnose, honestly I think I'd be at $3500 tops and that's including the extra $1000 you're wanting to give him.  But I know the market varies greatly depending on what area of the country we're all in.  

My wife is thankful that I didn't just stumble across that guy's yard.  I'd want one or more of the crew cabs and the 89 Bronco.  Last time I ran across something like this I bought 2 Ford trucks, a garden tractor, and some parts all at the same time.
Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435
95 F150 302/M5OD-R2 being turned into bullnose flareside
85 F150 4x4 302/NP435 parts truck
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
If I'm not mistaken, that truck has the seldom seen 8.8 8-lug rear axle....
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by thelastkeg
This was Steve's yard last year  I understand he sold most of the lot this year..... I had been trying to go there for a long time. I am sure I missed a few great deals.

Vivek