886 messages Options
1234 ... 45
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue
This post was updated on .
Welcome to my project!  Late last week I went to see a 1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 4x4 351.It was in rough shape, but for $900 I took the chance as in the last 12 months this is the only Bronco I could afford in Oregon!  Heck, I had to fly to Portland when I bought my truck.

The 2 mile drive home was interesting. The engine kept wanting to die. I mostly kept her in 2nd gear, staying light on the throttle, we made it with only 1 backfire.

The good news is:

Clean title and carfax report.
175k miles on her.
She started, drove, changed gear and stopped on the one run we have done :)
The body is pretty straight with only 2 patches of rust that will be an issue, the rear driver side corner and the tailgate.
The rear tailgate window works
The tires are new in the last year, even if they are not my choice of quality tire.
Has power windows that work!
Has power mirrors (not working)
Has power locks (Not working and switches missing)
Has underhood tool box
Has locking hood release
New battery
New heater core
New tie rods and bushings
New front suspension bushings
Speedo works
Fuel gauge works
Rear seat is in excellent condition with all belts intact
Apparently the cruise control works.. so the previous owner told me

The bad news is:

The engine is not running well.  The story the previous owner gave me is, “It was running rough so I rebuilt the carb, now it won’t run!”
Missing AC compressor and related items
Missing Smog pump and related items
Electronic ignition has been disconnected and now has points!
Lots of oil at the back of the passenger rocker cover
None of the interior lights work.
The steering has lots of play in it and the wheel doesn't sit straight
The interior is in ok shape, a broken A pillar cover on the drivers side, missing switch bezels, missing rear b pillar trim. Dash pad is trash
Warning lights in dash need the filters/screens re-attached but they are all there
shifter knobs are missing
Driver seat has a broken (cracked) base
Need to check the tach and all the gauges/warning lights
The previous owner was a heavy smoker so this thing STINKS! It has not been vacuumed since it was new…
Exterior chrome is pretty shabby.
Shocks are shot! This thing bounced all over the place!
My local wreckers yard has a couple of Bullnoses at the moment :)

So the short term plan is as follows I have almost everything on order to do the long list below:

Engine bay:
1. Remove rocker covers and replace gaskets. While in there inspect the rockers and related areas and de gunk. New rocker covers are going on :)
2. Replace carb. I was going to service it but my friend talked me into a new one, so going with Edlebrock 1406.
3. Try and make sense of the wiring in the engine bay. There are a few “short cuts” and “customizations”
4. Inspect vacuum lines and the hoses, replace as needed
5. Inspect all fluids and filters, replace as needed
6. Check spark plugs and leads, replace as needed

Exterior:
1. Replace all weather seals.
2. Inspect brakes and brake lines
3. Replace door strikers
4. Remove crappy aftermarket lights/stickers etc.
5. Replace tail lights
6. Replace wiper arms and blades
7. Replace washer fluid tank/coolant overflow tank
8. Inspect fuel lines

Interior:
1. VACUUM EVERYTHING
2. BLEACH EVERYTHING
3. Pull all the seats out and shampoo carpet
4. Replace steering wheel, drivers seat
5. install power lock switches and bezels (will fix them another time)
6. Install power mirror switches and bezel
7. Remove crappy aftermarket wiring/lights/stickers/screws/brackets…
8. Go through all the fuses and bulbs and make sure they are all good. Most of the bulbs are missing

The plan is to tackle all of this in April. I know sorting out the above will just open a new, more fundamental list of issues that need to be tackled, I regard this list as getting me to a clean slate...

The end goal is to have this as a daily driver for the wife!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

1986F150Six
Administrator
Great find. All of us will be following your progress!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Congrat's!  Looks like it is a highly-optioned truck, and should be fun to drive when you get all the layers on the onion peeled.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Very nice find! I’d say you did well for the price. When I was looking around a couple years ago anything in my price range was beat to death and not worth rebuilding. I ended up stumbling into a deal on my F150, but I’d still like to own a Bronco. Yours will be some work, but will make a great truck in the end. Looking forward to the progress!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Only $100 more than I paid for my project, 81 flare side that needed everything replaced.......that reads body off frame rebuild!

I will be following your project to see how it progress.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
This post was updated on .
I finally had time to work on Espy today.

Degreased engine
Installed new carb, gaskets, filters.
Replaced broken seat frames
Replaced washer/coolant bottle
Replaced coolant (was empty as drain plug was loose)
Installed power mirror switches (still not working)
Replaced front indicator bulbs and lenses

She fired up and ran good. I took her on 2 short runs and no problems.

One observation - oil pressure seemed on the low side, it varied between the left of the N and middle of the O on the word “Normal”. Oil looks black and I am sure an oil change would help.

I also picked up the following from the wreckers
Clock module
Ash tray
Entire canopy with good windows, trim and bolts
A pillar cover
Front grill
Ac pump
Ash tray
Swing out spare tire holder
And the 2 seat frames mentioned at the start of this post.

Ordered on line
Electronic distributor
Spark plugs
Spark plug leads
Windshield Washer hose and nozzle
Wiper arms and blades
Silicone vacuum hoses

Next up is an oil change then I will pull the rocker covers and see how slushed up it is in there. Currently they are held on with a mismatched set of studs and bolts so need to pull them all out and work out what to use in there.. prob new studs..

Then the electronic ignition project will begin...

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
A couple of pics

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  I got confused.  I read your signature and looked at the pic and said "That's not EFI!"  Then I remembered that Espy is the new-to-you Bronco.  Duh!

But you got a LOT done today.    That's a lot of work.  The engine compartment looks a lot cleaner.

On the oil pressure, that does look low.  However, these gauges aren't the best, so I'd put an aftermarket set on before worrying.  And an oil change would be the first thing to do.  But, before you do, smell the oil.  Does it smell like gas?  I ask because I don't see a fuel pressure regulator, and Eddy's don't like more than about 5 1/2 psi.  Unfortunately many fuel pumps put out more than that, which can cause an Eddy to overflow and put gas down into the crankcase, diluting the oil.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I do need to update and shrink my signature!

I can’t smell gas in the oil. The oil is thick and black so needs to be changed out ASAP!

I should really get a decent after market gauge and measure fuel pressure, both added to the long list of things to do!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
A little more progress today. I decided to tackle some easy stuff.

Replaced rear light clusters and bulbs
Replaced all the seals for the sliding rear window.
Replaced ash tray.
Cleaned up the tailgate insert panel

So a nice 2 hours in the sun!

2 big take aways:

1. The replacement window seals are tight and the window is not able to go all the way up on its own. I am hoping it all frees up in time and it is not an old slow motor issue.

2. The internal electrics are a joke. none of the interior lights work (cabin or dash), the reverse lights don't work, the hazard lights don't work. There is extra aftermarket wiring near the fuse box and at the back bumper.  I will prob have to ask for help on some of this... I will get some pics first...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Silicone spray helps the windows slide.  Dries fairly clear, but don't get it on everything.  But I've had to take the motors apart and lube them to get more oomph.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks Gary, I was going to do that, but I have no idea where my silicon spray is!!! As I have the tailgate apart I should lube the motor too..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't done a Bronco tailgate, but the doors I've done have required drilling the rivets out and then using 1/4-20 bolts and nuts to secure them back.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Sounds like PITA !!!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jein.  The steel stud of the rivets they used stick out of the aluminum rivet, making it difficult to drill in the center.  So I've used a Dremel to slice off the stud even with the aluminum, which makes it less difficult.  But it isn't easy.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
Jein.  The steel stud of the rivets they used stick out of the aluminum rivet, making it difficult to drill in the center.  So I've used a Dremel to slice off the stud even with the aluminum, which makes it less difficult.  But it isn't easy.
The rivets might have changed by '97, but when I took my door apart I used a punch to drive the stud out (back into the door), then drilled out the aluminum rivet easily.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll have to try that next time.  Would be a lot easier and leave a cleaner hole.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Nothing Special wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
The rivets might have changed by '97, but when I took my door apart I used a punch to drive the stud out (back into the door), then drilled out the aluminum rivet easily.
 I used the same technique for my son's 1984 F150.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks for all the tips. I get back home at the weekend and the wife leaves for 10 days on Tuesday, so i am hoping to tackle:

Thermostat housing/gasket
Oil pressure sender
Brake hoses
Rocker covers
Weather strips
Internal electrics

It is a big list...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is a big list, but should be doable.  Keep us posted.

1234 ... 45