(Normal)
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1980/81 sliding door lock project

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll bet it is!  And if it has the ability to take a screw to hold the back plate then the biggest problem with the locks would be solved.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
Well, here it is.  I think she looks a little better in person, the lighting in this picture does no favors.  I think one change needs to be made, which is the lock and unlock lettering, it didn't come out.  That should not be too hard to fix up though, I may put it in the slanted part of the bezel like the word NAMPros is right now.  That's how it is on the stock part anyway.

I have long been considering starting my own 3D printing and reverse engineering business for parts like this.  I may finally do it.  I any case, I can pop some of these out for you guys.  This particular plastic isn't the best for longevity, but it is really cheap and the part is pretty strong.

I didn't make a slider in this batch because I figured if it's plastic anyway the stock slider could be reused, but if it's broken or lost then making one is no problem.  
John

Red 1980 F150 Custom - Standard cab, long bed, 4WD
302 v8, Auto transmission
Almost completely stock, quite clean but not perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good, but you are right that the picture doesn't do it any justice.  Anyway, you should consider making them.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
Hey guys,

I've had some business developments over the past several months and now I own my own company for metal 3D printing. This means I don't have to rent time on a machine.  So, I can pretty safely quote these parts in 316 Stainless Steel for $200 per complete set (both doors).  Still expensive, but not too bad really, and we can customize the locks to have your name, the name of the truck, etc. inset into the lock, or whatever you want (like I did with NAMPros, above).

I can also do plastic for a lot less $.  It'll be less durable, of course, but probably still better than the factory solution since my redesign bolts together.  I'll talk to my partner, he has more experience quoting plastic jobs, but I would envision it being quite a bit cheaper.  

I'm hoping I might be able to help as we find more parts on these trucks that are not sold anymore.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm creating a trailer queen and sparing few expenses, but $200/set for the lock sliders gives me pause.  So I think the ones in plastic would be more likely to sell if you can get the price down quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm glad someone is working on making things for these trucks!

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm creating a trailer queen and sparing few expenses, but $200/set for the lock sliders gives me pause.  So I think the ones in plastic would be more likely to sell if you can get the price down quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm glad someone is working on making things for these trucks!
I dont have a trailer queen so the $200 is kind of out of my range too.
I do under stand it takes time and the cost of the supplies and I know they should out live the truck LOL

If you can get a quote on the plastic ones would be great.

I do have a question:
I dont have anything for my truck and I dont know how the factory one break?
Is it they will not hold on to the door panels and pop out or the part the rod hooks to breaks off?
Is there a way to mix n match parts (plastic n metal) to make the weak part strong but the plastic parts to keep price down?

If so could there be 3 options
All plastic
Mix of plastic & metal
All metal

Thinking out side the box and not knowing how they all work & fit maybe it can only be plastic or metal?
Thanks for offering this up to us
Dave ----

edit: just went back over the post and I see you reused the rear part that looks to hold the front part to the door panel.
If it is just a sheet metal part I guess I could bend up something that would work to hold it to the panel.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
There's really three problems that I've seen.

The part the rod connects to gets brittle and breaks, or wallows out.
The plastic face detaches from the sheet metal backing plate (the face has nubs that are melted over the sheet metal, and those nubs break apart)
The sheet metal backing plate doesn't stay in the door panel (the door panel gets brittle and crumbles where the slide lock goes).

All of these can be caused by either plastic deterioration, or from the door latch getting tough to move and people forcing the lock assembly.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
salans7 wrote
There's really three problems that I've seen.

The part the rod connects to gets brittle and breaks, or wallows out.
The plastic face detaches from the sheet metal backing plate (the face has nubs that are melted over the sheet metal, and those nubs break apart)
The sheet metal backing plate doesn't stay in the door panel (the door panel gets brittle and crumbles where the slide lock goes).

All of these can be caused by either plastic deterioration, or from the door latch getting tough to move and people forcing the lock assembly.
I would hope the newer plastic will hold up better so the rod would not be an issue but time would tell.

Well if I under stand how he is making them the sheet metal plate is now screwed to the main body so no more melted nubs to break off. Just need to reuse the old plate that I dont have

I would also hope the newer panels would hold up better also.

In my case I would replace mine as I did a quick fix to make them look some what good but would need more work and re-finishing again for me to keep using them and to me just not worth it for the work needed & cost of new.

Also I dont know about others but other than if I take the truck to work or a show it is inside a garage where it is cooler than sitting outside baking in the sun !
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
Dave,

You are correct.  I redesigned the bezel (face) so it has bolt holes instead of the plastic nubs, so now that cannot break.  

I personally hadn't experienced the other two failures but I could see those happening.  

What funny/sad is after I made this thread, showing the replacement of my passenger side setup, I lost the backing plate for the driver side

So, I either need to hit up the local junkyards or come up with a backing plate solution anyhow.  If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears, otherwise I'll go out and look at it, make measurements, and think of something.  

I'll make some plastic parts for you guys.  So start letting me know what you want.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by red1980F150
Congrats on owning your own company! Looking forward to seeing what all you create.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Dr.BabyBlueF150CUSTOM
Red1980F150 or anyone,

Does anyone have the 3D print file for these slide lock assemblies? I'd love to work with a couple of my friends to get some of these printed to try out in my '80 F150 custom that is missing them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel
Daniel
1980 F150 Custom 2WD w/ 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Bdavolley
Are you still making these?

Thanks,
Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

Aztommy
I need a set for 1980 f150
Reply | Threaded
|

Aztommy
I need a set for 1980 f150
Please contact me
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's tag him for this.  Tagging will send him an email to ensure he knows someone is asking.

Reply | Threaded
|

Aztommy
Contact me please
Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
Gary,

The email worked!  

If you guys are okay with plastic then I can make a few for you, no charge, to print with a basic material like PLA, just get shipping for me.  

I have 5 metal printers now and could make these out of Titanium, Aluminum, Copper, or Inconel (nickel, mostly), but you have probably seen the cost previously in the thread.  

John
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Have you tried abs? I'd be concerned with the longevity of pla due to the heat.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
You're dead on, even if heat isn't a problem moisture and UV are.  I just don't have ABS.  PETG might work too?  

Honestly, I wouldn't be against just buying some ABS or PETG.  Let's see what color these guys want.

I have a friend who might be able to do Nylon for us, that would be great, but it would probably cost something... I'd have to ask.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Aztommy
Any update on slide door locks