windshield replacement adhesive

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

windshield replacement adhesive

delco1946
So i'd like to replace my windshield. Took it to a body guy who said butyl isn't/cant be used on windshields despite lots of research and feedback from you all. I'm tired of arguing with him. Regardless of what was used originally, is there any reason that a new one can't be installed the "normal" way? (he either said urethane or polyurethane adhesive i cant remember).
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: windshield replacement adhesive

1986F150Six
Administrator
Mine was installed using the polyurethane [modern] adhesive and has done well for several years.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Polyurethane is really the best way to go.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Good to know. I asked the body shop guy if he'd humor me and have the glass shop pull the windshield for him to clean up the opening, any rust, and prime it before the glass shop comes back to install a new windshield. He said yes for a price. The same glass shop wants 150 to pull the rear window, plus 70 for the gasket (which is all i need) so I might do that myself as that seems a bit steep.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
$150 to pull out the rear window? Geez. It takes less than five minutes to push the window out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Mine was done with polyurethane. The glass shop I used says the only issues they see are from other glass installers who did not take the effort to thoroughly clean off the old butyl before proceeding with the new style glue. I watched the whole process, and they really did have to work on the window frame opening for quite a while to get it clean the way they wanted it. Nice people, and fantastic install. I would read reviews and go someplace good. They took the time to find the right frameless windshield and hand painted the primer edge so my VIN plate shows.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Sounds like quite the ordeal... keep us posted with how it goes.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, $150 seems steep.

I got my new windshield a couple of weeks ago, it was $225 -installed!
I watched the guy Roloc the body flange, prime it, dry it with a heat gun (it was cold and rainy) goop the opening with a high bead of poly and install it.

I gave the tech a $25 tip because my seat of the pants expected $250, so that's what I had budgeted.

A rear window is much easier than that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
delco1946 wrote
So i'd like to replace my windshield. Took it to a body guy who said butyl isn't/cant be used on windshields despite lots of research and feedback from you all. I'm tired of arguing with him. Regardless of what was used originally, is there any reason that a new one can't be installed the "normal" way? (he either said urethane or polyurethane adhesive i cant remember).
I went old school when I installed mine, I used the Butyl but I installed it myself. Well I had a hand lifting in place as it was to heavy for just me.

I also installed the rear glass myself.

Should back up some, I pulled both the front & rear glass myself.
I do it all
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100