starter solenoid question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

starter solenoid question

scbill
Has anyone used this type on their F100.

In place of this one?

I put the one off a 95 ford parts vehicle while a new one was on order, seems to be working ok.
Is it ok to use, or will it harm something?

Switched truck on to start, tach was bouncing from 0 to 1,500, wouldn't start, starter (ignition) post on solenoid was loose, tightened, still wouldn't start, tach went to 2,000 and stayed when key was in on position.

Bill
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: starter solenoid question

LARIAT 85
The first *relay* you posted is the later style and is what came stock on trucks with EEC-IV.  That includes vehicles with feedback carburetors and EFI.  This is what originally came on my own truck.

The second one you posted is the earlier style that Ford used for about thirty years.  These came stock on vehicles with conventional carburetors.  I switched to this one when I did my DSII conversion only because that is what I saw on all the earlier trucks.

Having said that, I would *think* that the later style (first picture) has something different for vehicles with engine computers.  But I don't know for sure.  

Steve83 says the later style is superior to the older style, but I haven't had any issues with mine. I think the main thing is to try to get an older MOTORCRAFT one. I will say that holding each of these - both of them being MOTORCRAFT units - the earlier style relay feels quite a bit heavier than the later style.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
Forgot to mention, it's a 1983 300, 6 cyl, don't think being a 6, or 8 cyl would make a difference. The top relay is off a 1995 V6 EFI Ford Aerostar
Thanks for the input.

Bill
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The only difference is teh first can't be used with a points ignition system.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco