Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: oil pressure sender keeps failing

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
mat in tn wrote
I checked grounds to the cluster and noticed temp reading high but not overheating.
I had this same issue after rebuilding the 302 in my '84. I screwed around with a bunch of different things, but the temperature always checked out fine with a IR gun. However, the gauge always read high, but not overheating. In my case, it turned out to be the parts store sender I had installed. I went to the local Ford dealer and ordered an OEM replacement, and bam, my temperature gauge worked perfectly after that. At exactly 195F the gauge was reading straight up in the middle (I assume this is what Ford had intended).

Can't help with the oil pressure sender though. My parts store senders worked fine, on a couple engines.
Thanks for this post, Corey. I replaced my temp sender unit with an Orielly's part sometime back and my gauge reading has since been above the half way point. Prior to the replacement, it sat around the 1/4 area. Of course when I changed it, I also changed a host of other things such as the water pump, thermostat, timing chain, etc. It doesn't over heat and my IR gun reads 195. I'll be pulling that thing soon to confirm that the sending unit was the issue. Been meaning to do that anyway.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: oil pressure sender keeps failing

FuzzFace2
When I got my truck none of the gauges were working and as part of the rebuild / fix was to replace the oil & temp senders.
Oil only lasted 2 years as I just replaced it a few weeks back. With the new sender the gauge is reading higher that it did before it stopped working
Nothing like driving at high way speeds and seeing "0" oil psi

As for the temp gauge has always been reading low. So much so I thought I did not replace the stat and replaced it with a new one again for it doing the same thing
It sits on the first line but every once in a while it will read a little higher.
Then 2 days ago it was reading in the middle / normal to me.
Today it is back down to the first line

Now some may be thinking that the IVR is at fault in my truck. I dont think that is the case with  mine.
I say this because the fuel gauge has always been on the money reading right of the 3 gauges that use the IVR to work.
Dave ----

ps I want to say the senders were Standard's, I know this last oil sender is.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100