o-ring vs perma-cool

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

o-ring vs perma-cool

baddog8it
In the process of replacing the oil filter adapter with an external oil thermostat and filter.  The oil filter adapter will be replaced by a perma-cool model 3791 dual port adapter.  The problem is that the o-ring that comes with it is too big.  It can be forced into the recess if held in place the whole circumference, but I'm afraid that I'm just as likely to pinch and not form a good seal.  I contacted perma-cool on the day I received it, but have yet to hear back.  I'm tempted to chuck up the part in my drill press and try to machine out the groove a bit.

I've looked online for other o-rings, but they seem to come in 1/8" increments.  I think the next available size would be too small.

Any suggestions?
THE BEAST - '85 F350 2WD (non dually) Crew Cab, 460 carbureted, C6 tranny
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: o-ring vs perma-cool

Rembrant
baddog8it wrote
I've looked online for other o-rings, but they seem to come in 1/8" increments.  I think the next available size would be too small.
Do you have a hydraulic repair shop close by?

Bring the part in with you. I use a local shop for all of our industrial stuff, and they have never let me down when finding odd size o-rings. If the 1/8" increments don't work, try the closest metric sizes (if they have them).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

baddog8it
In reply to this post by baddog8it
Loctite makes an o-ring making/splicing kit.  If I remove a very small portion of the o-ring and splice it back together, I could get the right size.

Anybody have any experience with these?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
baddog8it wrote
Loctite makes an o-ring making/splicing kit.  If I remove a very small portion of the o-ring and splice it back together, I could get the right size.

Anybody have any experience with these?
I've used the Loctite kits before, but it was years ago. I seem to recall there being a little jig to align the two cut ends perfectly. That is the hardest part to accomplish. I forget where I was when I used the kit...but it was either on an offshore oil rig or in a mine up north...both places where there were no other options. It worked, but I have no idea how long it lasted.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I would try to find an o-ring that fit rather than machine the fitting.  That's a critical place in the scheme of engine lubrication, and any leak could cause big problems as well as a big mess.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

baddog8it
Other than machining the fitting I have (which I don't want to do), all of the other options mean additional time (stores that are open, mail order, etc).  That being said, I think I'll spend the money and get a better fitting that is sure to have a proper fitting seal.

Thanks for all of the input.

I'll have a full blown write up with pics when the project is complete.