new upholstery - anyone used the LMC upholstery set?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new upholstery - anyone used the LMC upholstery set?

rcarlisle
I've got carpet coming and thinking that would be the best time to reupholster the seat while it is out and done all at once.   Quoted locally runs from $400 - $600.   LMC set is $235 +shipping and I install.  I don't mind installing.   Video looks like I could do that.  

But has anyone here tried it?   How is it?   Many sites have what looks to be the same set, so I'm figuring they are all from the same supplier.  

This set.  https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/seats/fd-1980-86-bench-seat-kits.  Wife says velour/vinyl.   LMC says IN STOCK too.  

If it's not good, say why - tell me more than "just junk" because it is LMC.   I figure after the new wears off, I'll put the saddle cover back on to protect it more.    But would like to have it fixed instead of the pieces and parts that are under the saddle cover.  

Thanks
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: new upholstery - anyone used the LMC upholstery set?

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I saw that one after I posted this.  I've been looking at all I can find, plus the saddle blanket covers.  I think I may try the LMC and see how it does.  I figure after a little while, I'll probably put a saddle blanket cover back over it to protect it.  But I also see that a lot of those fall apart fairly quick.   I have a saddle blanket cover now that was on it when I got it.  Holding up fairly well, but I have no idea how old it is.  

I'm wondering how they do over a few years.   I really have no intention of letting go of the truck.  It's a lot of fun for a project and pretty durn practical to have.  

Thanks for sending that
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I think it comes down to using those horrible bull rings and associated pliers.

I have tried something similar when I tried to add new cushioning to a captains chair in my Bronco. I gave up because the process was so frustrating.

There is a technique to it that I just could not work out.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
rcarlisle wrote
I saw that one after I posted this.  I've been looking at all I can find, plus the saddle blanket covers.  I think I may try the LMC and see how it does.  I figure after a little while, I'll probably put a saddle blanket cover back over it to protect it.  But I also see that a lot of those fall apart fairly quick.   I have a saddle blanket cover now that was on it when I got it.  Holding up fairly well, but I have no idea how old it is.  

I'm wondering how they do over a few years.   I really have no intention of letting go of the truck.  It's a lot of fun for a project and pretty durn practical to have.  

Thanks for sending that
If you plan on keeping truck long term I probably would find a local upholstry shop to make the covers for you.  They can source better material than what LMC offers.

I actually found a place that sells bulk leather hide that I may buy if the local upholstry shop cant source quality shadow blue leather to cover a bench seat.  I dont mind about final cost as I want the upholstry to handle wear and tear of daily driving for decades.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
My new carpet is outside my office door.   Thanks GSMBlue!  

I have never messed with bullrings but see how it is supposed to work.  And it could come down to the tool used?  The free tool may not work as well as a more expensive version?

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty_S85 wrote
If you plan on keeping truck long term I probably would find a local upholstry shop to make the covers for you.  They can source better material than what LMC offers.

I actually found a place that sells bulk leather hide that I may buy if the local upholstry shop cant source quality shadow blue leather to cover a bench seat.  I dont mind about final cost as I want the upholstry to handle wear and tear of daily driving for decades.
Hmm that is a sound idea.   The two shops I spoke to said they could do a basic blue easy.  It might get pricy if I wanted to get one of the fancy materials (plaid).   I could also pick through what they have leftover for inserts and such, but probably would not be an original material.   THat's not too big a deal to me obviously, if I'm going to LMC for a generic Ford upholstery.  

I'll have to think on it and discuss with wife to see if we can fund that little extra from price of LMC to local shop anytime soon.  We had it worked out for the LMC.

And then borrow a truck to take seat to upholsterer.   Irony?
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
rcarlisle wrote
My new carpet is outside my office door.   Thanks GSMBlue!  
EXCELLENT!!!! :) We go there in the end :)

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In an interesting coincidence, I just got estimated $250-400 to have both the captains chairs in the Bronco redone. So yeah, that’s happening!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'm gonna run the truck to an upholsterer next week and get a firm quote.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I just realizes, with you carpet, you have an existing template to work too! I do not, so you should have a much easier time!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Good point!   Also if the back edge of new carpet is a finshed edge and matches the profile of the cab wall, I may cut it in half under the seat and overlap it there.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I think it is!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

farmboy60
my
upholstery guy in syracuse used the template from my bench seat and made the same all for 450.00
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
That is sweet!!!
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
rcarlisle wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote

Hmm that is a sound idea.   The two shops I spoke to said they could do a basic blue easy.  It might get pricy if I wanted to get one of the fancy materials (plaid).   I could also pick through what they have leftover for inserts and such, but probably would not be an original material.   THat's not too big a deal to me obviously, if I'm going to LMC for a generic Ford upholstery.  

I'll have to think on it and discuss with wife to see if we can fund that little extra from price of LMC to local shop anytime soon.  We had it worked out for the LMC.

And then borrow a truck to take seat to upholsterer.   Irony?
Thats my thing I dont know about pattern.  I recall the original seats having a pleated vinyl seat but dont remember the exact textures or patterns.  It was just a solid blue vinyl seat.

I planned on talking with which ever upholstry shop that does the job to see what they think would be a factory looking early 80s Ford design.  I want the leather to mimic the factory look but I want changes here and there.  Such as on the front of the seat on the driver side I want a pocket sewn into the leather for tossing things such as my wallet or extra keys.  I saw a GM truck that had that treatment done on the upholstry and really liked the idea at giving you a storage option with the OE style bench seat without having to add map pockets on the doors.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
The row of pockets is one thing I love about the saddle blanket cover.  I don't mind if it's not a stock pattern or material.  Just want it nice.  I'll let them do what they want.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Been to local guy.  See photos.  Vinyl outside and center. Cloth inserts on each side.  $450 and he's going to fix the bottom pad, broken rod in seat back, etc.  And cover the seat.  I'm taking just the seat to him so I can put the carpet in while he does the seat.

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks good! Gonna be fancy schmancy!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
A little.  But I think that cloth pattern will keep the 80s look.  I don't want it looking like super modern.  Trying to stay period rightish.  
Randy