classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new memeber from california

jdmfool209
Hey everyone!

My name is Jaime. I'm from Atwater, CA. I recently picked up a bull nose a couple months back. I have been doing things here and there to get it back on the road since the last time it was on the road was back in 2008! It is an 81 ford f250 xlt ranger. It originally came with a 351 but the original owners swapped a Isuzu 6bd1 in it around the mid 80s from my understanding not sure why they went that route but I didn't ask any questions since it was only $100.00! Still have the C6 transmission that it came with. I've been following this fourm for a couple of weeks now to look up information and figured it was time to join!!
1981 Ford F250 XLT Ranger
Isuzu 6BD1(orginally 351) C6
2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: new memeber from california

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!!!  Glad you joined!  Good to meet you.  

Wow, that's an interesting engine swap.  Cool!  I hope you'll start a thread (in the main section) to document your truck and what you do to it.  I'd like to follow along.

By the way, we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I can easily add you if you'd like.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by jdmfool209
Welcome- I'm down your way regularly getting my son back and forth to the UCM campus.  

That engine swap is an interesting one.  I have a neighbor that has that engine in his boat (although it has a turbo) and he says it has over 10k hours on it without a major overhaul (maybe a fish story)!
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome! That ~is an unusual and very cool engine swap! Since you were not the one who did it you probably can’t talk too much about it, but I would be interested in any details you know regarding what was required to make it work. And wow. What a deal you got on it!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome! Interesting, should keep you busy.

I have relatives in the Merced area. That is one nice air museum in Atwater!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
That engine swap is as cool as the other side of the pillow!!

So that's an inline 6 huh? Is it as hard against the firewall as it looks?

Is it out of a boat or a bus?>..

And, being in California...how do you get this thing to pass smog?

So many questions...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

jdmfool209
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It really is! I found a guy out of state that still deals with this engines, so I can still get replacement parts just nothing aftermarket for them. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely be doing that. It is almost road worthy just dealing with a tail light problem at the moment.

That would be awesome, you can definitely add me to the map!
2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

jdmfool209
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Ah okay! that is awesome! so not to far from me then. From what  I have read online and from talking with people that this swaps. They say they are a tough engine and get really good gas mileage. I have a turbo that I'll putting on it. but it is suppose to be like a 12 valve it even has a ppump. who knows how many hours/miles this has but it runs great now that i changed the oil cooler on it.
2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

jdmfool209
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I got some info from the original owner but not as much i would have liked unfortunately. but from what i have seen from poking around it didn't take much. Especially since it is still using the C6 transmission. Ill get some more pictures of it and I will post them up. For the price I couldn't pass it up. I do want to put a straight axle and make it 4wd ill probably use the dana 60 out of my truck when I put the 05 axle in that one.
2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

jdmfool209
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thank you! It has been keeping busy but its diffidently worth it! Yes it is! they haven't been keeping up with it lately from what I have seen.
2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

jdmfool209
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Yes it is an inline 6. It is almost an exact copy of the 12 valve except for the intake and exhaust being on the opposite side and the ppump being driven on the passengers side being attached with a driveline.
It was out of a truck, Ill have to pull the paper work I have for it.

That is the funny part about it. Somehow they did some kind of paper work to switch it over to a diesel title instead of a gas title truck being an 81. Everything matches, so it is diffidently a head scratchier for me also on how they did that but I'm not complaining since it does require smog anymore.
2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jaime - You are now, quite literally, on the map.

But, do you build cabinets?  I had the strangest thing happen when I when to Atwater and typed in your name.  Google told me about a business there.  Never had that happen before.

Anyway, glad you are here!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Welcome Jaime! Man, that is an odd combination but I love the pics and look forward to learning a lot from your thread! Glad you found us.
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.