classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

need to repace fuel injector wiring harness

Bo Frodo
1986 F150 2WD Base Model 302 efi
Replaced fuel injectors  and the clips on the wire connectors were so brittle almost all of them broke. I have looked online but a simple search does not reveal the results I am looking for or there si no match. Does any one have any suggestions,
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: need to repace fuel injector wiring harness

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't see the clips in the MPC's illustration, below.  But I did a Google search and found a few pigtails.  However I'm not sure any of these fit your truck as I don't remember what the connectors look like.  Sorry.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bo Frodo
I called the clip as what slides over the injector and holds it in place.I didn't know what to call it . Thanks for google search info. What type of connector am I looking for (EV1) ?
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So the "clip" is the plastic of the connector?  I doubt you can buy that by itself, but haven't tried so don't know.  Instead, I think you get a pigtail that you'd use to replace yours.

I don't know what type of connectors those are.  But, here's a link to the Rock Auto site where I drilled down to the fuel injection connectors on a 1986 F150 w/a 5.0L.  I think this may be what you need, and you may find other sources of those part numbers to be less expensive.  Or not.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bo Frodo
Thank you for your help. My nomenclature is way off, a pigtail is exactly what I need. Now to carefully selecct the right one for my 86 302 efi.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You have it nailed.  Let us know how it goes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
I will be rebuilding my harness completely here in a week or two.  Ron Francis wiring has a complete harness for sale for $125.  I chose to purchase the components and build mine.  I will have $70+/- in all new connectors and wire, but with this being a simple harness, I felt it was a good way to practice building one from scratch.  I can post all the info on connectors later.

Quick Edit....  If you connectors are brittle, I would highly recommend pulling some of the tape off the harness and confirming the condition of the wire insulation.  My looked ok until I tore the tape off and cleaned everything,  the insulation was cracked all over the place with exposed wire.   Just a thought.  Might be smarter to replace the whole thing instead of doing all that work for the pigtails to have something fail later.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.