my 84 f150 aka "Jolene"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

my 84 f150 aka "Jolene"

jdavidsmi
Ever since my wife and I left Alaska and sold our 76 F250 Alaska Custom hi-rise 300cid 4 speed 4 wheel drive, we have talked about getting another one, but It has never worked out. We have had a couple of trucks since then was just not the same

1976 F250 "Sheba" Custom hi-rise 300cid, 4 speed manual, 4 wheel Drive; my wife had to stand on the clutch to shift. All over Alaska in her, from the Yukon river down to Haines and many places between.

Then the 1970 C10 we got when Dad passed "ole Green" 6cid, 3 on the tree, Dad purchased it new in the fall of 1969 from Holler Chevrolet in Orlando FL. We got her in 1986 drove from Florida to Seattle in Jan. had to put a heater core in so I would have heat on the trip. We retired from the Air Force and moved to Vermont in 88. By the spring of 90 the frame was so rusted it would not pass state inspection. we sold it to the kid down the road and he drove it for years and never bothered with inspection's or license plates. We got the 90 ford.

A 1990 F150 "little Blue" 5.0 automatic 4x4 extended cab. short box. Can't find a Picture. This one rusted away around me. Ford replaced all the sheet metal. hood, fenders, doors, bed, and tailgate. both gas tanks, steering gear, oil pan, rear brake lines, radiator, both bumpers. By the summer of 2000 I sold the truck for 50 dollars for junk. It just stopped running and Ford gave up on it too.

We moved to Florida right after 911 and we got a little 1986 Dodge 50. Our son drove it to school from the time he could drive until after his first year of college. He sold it for 500.00, 50 more than we paid for it.

My wife and I got a 08 Nissan Titan, 5.6 automatic, never did name this truck. the only problem in the 7 years we had it was a relay for the ac went out.

And that brings us to Jolene,
Jolene
She is a 1984 F150 5.0, 4 speed, 4 wheel drive, was red but now primer gray. Very much in need of TLC.
The original owner sold her to a kid for mudding and tractor pulls, but she is not heavy enough. and he soon gave up and just let her sit. I found her on Craigslist and got it for less than asking.
So far i have, rebuilt the carburetor, tracked down and fixed 4 electrical shorts, installed the headlight modification, replaced headlight switch, replaced doors window tracks, replaced seal in rear end, installed a rebuild kit is power steering pump(did not fix squeal) so I'm going to replace. new battery, new alternator, new voltage regulator, new pickup in the distributor, new fuel pump, cleaned gas tank and installed new float and pickup. replaced all the vacuum lines for the heater/AC, and the restate for the blower fan.
This is what i found inside the AC housing

And so it will contuine.
Still trying to find the cause of the key off short.

David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: my 84 f150 aka "Jolene"

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good review of your journey to Jolene.  

And, welcome to the fraternity of the onion-peelers.  We just keep peeling those onions, one problem at a time, and crying a bit along the way.  But, ultimately we get to a point where we have enough layers off to have onion rings, and get to sit down and enjoy them.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI