locked BOTH sets of keys in truck....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

locked BOTH sets of keys in truck....

rcarlisle
I managed to lock BOTH sets of keys in truck other night.  Yep.   Fortunately I left the driver's window cracked to let doors close easier. with new weather stripping.  I have the little metal visors over windows so it won't rain in and I leave window down an inch or two.  One set of keys was in igntion, other on passenger seat.  Found a wire coat hanger, thought maybe I could hook the door handle and pull it up.   Negative.  I could hook the handle, just not get enough tug to open door.  

So I studied and reshaped my hanger and went for the keys in ignition.   Hooked into the key, wiggled and wiggled til it started backing out.   Eased it out and to the window and through crack without losing them.  SCORE!!!!  

I have to get a LARGER keyring so I might see it in the igntion.   Other set was in truck from when I left the main keys in it the night before and had been working at my mom's and set them in passenger seat.  Might be time for a hide a key on the truck somewhere.   I saw a YT revival vid where they found a spare key hanging from the washer bottle lid in a car with outside hood release.  Something like that for the old bullnose.  

My regular car is one of them new fangled keyless things.  That has it's own issues too.  I went in for a dr appt once and left car running.   It was still running when I came out 30 minutes later.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: locked BOTH sets of keys in truck....

1986F150Six
Administrator
All's well that ends well!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Glad you'd left the window down, and that you got one set of keys out.  Maybe you need one of the magnetic key holders and put it up under the truck in a hidden spot?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Yep, something like that.  I have locked keys in several times at home already and been fortunate to have the extra set in the house.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've personally not been a fan of such... don't like giving car thieves a golden ticket to drive off with it (or at least break in and steal stuff). Likewise I'm absent minded to likely not remember to remove such if I'm leaving the vehicle sitting for a long time... or to remember that I had such in the first place.

But since the OP left a set in the ignition, it sounds like he needs a working buzzer... get that fixed!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
That’s hilarious! Glad you finally got them out.

When I bought my truck, it came with 5 sets of keys, so 10 keys total... guess the guy had the same problem as you 
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

1982 Ford F-250 XL - "Clifford, the Big Red Ford"
5.8L v8 351w T18 4spd Manual
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by ratdude747
I have thought about that buzzer!  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Jordanlogo
NECESSITY will make you learn a lot of things.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Leaving your keys in the ignition (or in the cupholder w/ new proximity keys) is an invitation.
But NO car thief is going to bother looking for a hidden key.

I can literally shear the pin and turn the column lock cylinder -starting and unlocking the steering- on one of these trucks in a minute.
Less than 30 seconds if I don't care how it looks when I'm done.
.... and I'm not a car thief.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I'll teach me,... I'll fix my a**.
BTW its amazing how far I can open a door window frame with a Blood Pressure cuff...
lots of practice being on the FD with "lock out" calls, troubling ones are infants in the car, and parent "locked out"
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
A great place to hide a flat key for your daily driver is in your wallet if you keep it in your pocket at all times. This has saved me.

To unlock a bullnose, I’ve had the best luck by wedging the door open at the top corner and hooking the door handle with a piece of Romex house wire bent into a J or lasso.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have a "wind bag"
It's a tool used to level windows, and just like a blood pressure cuff has a bulb pump and a bleeder valve.
But if I have to open a door I have some UHMW wedges that came with my lockout kit.
They don't damage paint and are easy enough to pound in with your hand.

X2 on the "make a loop"
Wire coat hangers are getting hard to find. But -ironically- the last time I locked myself out I was in front of a drycleaners.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Some wallets even have key holder "tags" in them. My last wallet had one...  but it was lost on a trip a year and a half ago, never to be seen again (with all my cards too)...

If my next wallet has one, maybe I ought to keep a door key to each of my two trucks in it...
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe you ought to key them alike???

I almost never lock my truck.  (Maybe if I left it at the train station for the day or weekend or was in a movie)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
You can slip a key into any card slot or back pocket behind the Bill fold. I never knew my key was in there... but man when I was locked out it sure made a difference!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
One's a 1995 ranger (with a replaced ignition cylinder, haven't gotten to getting a new "universal" key made that will also work the doors), the other is the 1984 F150 below. The door key on the 1984 are a different blank than the ranger keys; the ignition key is a match, though (and has caused me some embarrassing moments when I've tried to use one key to start the other).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Maybe you ought to key them alike???

I almost never lock my truck.  (Maybe if I left it at the train station for the day or weekend or was in a movie)
Even easier cut 1 side for 1 truck and cut the other side for truck #2.
Could do this for the IGN key so you only need 1 key for each truck.
If the key does not turn pull it out and flip it and try again.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I bought a set of 3 cylinders from Standard Automotive Products by way of Amazon for a later F-series truck.
The bitting is the same on these, so I could toss my oval key and only need one for the truck.

Wasn't expensive.
I think there was some discussion about this when I sent my pinning kit to Bill (85Lebaront2)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Won't work Dave.
The bitting on the older pickup is reversed from the door cylinders on his Ranger.
 Jim,