joining the club

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

joining the club

Jochen1964
Hi there, whilst surfing Gary´s GARAGEMAHAL he invited me to join the Bullnose Enthusiast. I am Jochen, live in Germany and a To Be F150 owner (hopefully over the next couple of weeks). Once I have completed the deal I will happily share all the details with you. Speak soon, Jochen
Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: joining the club

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Jochen!  

I almost commented in the email about your English, but I now see that it is the Queen's English and not our lowly American English.  That means I'll have try to remember some of what I learned while we lived in England.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
no worries Gary though I am not sure where you picked up my Oxford style :-) Interestingly I hear from the Brits that I have an US influence. Anyway I am European and pretty sure that we will find a way to share our thoughts and views. Looking forward to that. Otherwise we can always go back to German :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jein!  I don't know German.  Well, just enough to rent a zimmer and order schnitzel.  

"Whilst" gave your Oxford linguistic style away, but prior to that I thought "American".  So, there's a mix, for sure.  I spent a couple of years on Ole Blightly and have been back many times, so I see the Brit in what people say and understand it.  But I have to think about it to use some of it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
"Whilst" gave your Oxford linguistic style away, but prior to that I thought "American".  So, there's a mix, for sure.  I spent a couple of years on Ole Blightly and have been back many times, so I see the Brit in what people say and understand it.  But I have to think about it to use some of it.
Isn't that funny...there are certain English words that didn't make the trip across the Atlantic;). Even up here in Canada, we've managed to hang on to some British words that are not used in the US, both in spelling and pronunciation. I thing Zee and Zed is a good example;).

Welcome aboard Jochen! Like some of the others on here, I too have spent quite a lot of time in Germany with my work. Last trip, in 2012, after a week in Radolfzel, I managed to snag an extra day and rented a KTM990 in Zurich so I could rip around the Alps a little bit, and the Black Forest. It was a high speed tourist trip, but it did the trick;).

Congrats on the new truck;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Sounds like you had fun in one of the most beautiful spots around here. I personally love the three corners area combining the best of all three countries: French food and wine, Swiss landscape and German roads. And all of this on an Austrian motorbike 👍
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is a beautiful part of the world.  Our first trip to the Continent was when we lived in England.  Flew into Basel and drove a big circle: Piz Gloria; Grindelwald; Salzburg; Berchtesgaden & Obersalzburg; Fussen & a couple of next-door castles; Lichtenstein; The Black Forest (bought a clock); and back to Basel.  Absolutely stunning.

So, what's the news about the truck?

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
The truck has undergone the German main certification check last week but the inspector from the certification body (TÜV) went on hols straight after that. Therefore he will only finish the paperwork next week and forward to the current owner. The current owner will then register and unregister the car in his city as a German car and then we will finalize the deal. This will mean me driving down the 1.5 hours, doing the financials and getting the paperwork from the truck, driving back home without the truck. Registering the truck in my home city with the paperwork the next day to get the license plates and then my wife driving me down again, putting the license plates on the truck and then taking the truck home. Welcome to Germany and its bureaucracy. It might well be that I need to show the truck with the installed license plates to the registration office the next day.
All in all it should be the week after next or the one after that. With regard to the towing load: the inspector didn´t reject it in first instance and I need to see whether and how much he will reflect in the German papers of the truck. That is a small success already. Will keep you posted.
For all who now say, ok there needs to be a small sacrifice to get on the unlimited German Autobahn: I recon that 75 % of all German Motorways are now limited to 120 km/h or less and I doubt that the truck will make the limit at all :-)
Almost forgot to mention that the truck needs to have a technical inspection from that certification body every two years. Sorry Gary, tried to keep it short but these are the key elements.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Just WOW!  That's OTT as the Brit's would say.  (Explain that one please.)

Here in Okiehoma we sign the title and hand it over.  Then, within 30 days, we go to the tag office and put it in our name.

Anyway, glad things appear to be going along smoothly - if slowly.

As for the Autobahn, I didn't know the speed had been reduced that much.  (For the others, 120 KPH is ~75 MPH.)  And I'll bet that they are policing it pretty closely.

On the length of the post, what's the worry?  We don't pay by the word.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
agree that it appears to be over the top Gary but this reflects the rare case of importing a car that was not built for European / German standards or was never registered over here. A standard registration requires an insurance evidence, the cars document and about 2 hours time and then you are ok to hit the road.
I see the truck as a hobby horse, a project and an investment. Rationally there is no point to have a F150 over here since the parking lots are far too small for these sorts of beasts, the fuel efficiency is crap hence will cost you a fortune at ca. 6 USD per gallon and spare parts are hard to get or expensive.
However they are a character and set out from the look alike pick up trucks over here, they have a decently sized engine :-) and they are still very rare. My suspicion is that there is one European (subcontracted) Pick up plant which assembles pick ups over here and only swaps the brand flags.
Also the way I live utilizes the advantages of this truck since I always have something to carry or to tow. Therefore the challenge for me will be to utilize the working truck potential whilst protecting its historical car status and value over here. So long
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Here in Okiehoma we sign the title and hand it over.  Then, within 30 days, we go to the tag office and put it in our name.

As for the Autobahn, I didn't know the speed had been reduced that much.  (For the others, 120 KPH is ~75 MPH.)  And I'll bet that they are policing it pretty closely.
Gary,

Do you have to give the vehicle title to the bank if you finance a vehicle in Okiehoma? That's something I always found frustrating when trying to buy a vehicle in the US, and I wasn't sure if it was a state by state thing, or countrywide. I had to walk away from some deals in the US because of this, and in the end the only private sales I did were when the seller had the title in their hands. Up here in Canada, at least out on the east coast, we the owner always keep the title, financed or not.

Interesting on the Autobahn speeds as well. Oh well, there's always Nurburgring, right? Don't they have special track days when anybody is allowed on it, trucks included?

And six bucks a gallon for gas eh? It's up to $1.25/L here in Canada, so $5/gallon CDN...which is more like $4/gal USD. Perhaps I won't be driving my old F150 as much as I'd like this summer...or maybe I'll just go on a diet to cover the extra fuel costs...lol.

Good luck with the truck Jochen
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jochen - Hadn't realized the pickup hadn't been registered in Germany.  I guess I assumed that it was owned by a US serviceman and had been registered there.  So, not having been registered makes it a bit more complex, even here.  In that case they have to "inspect" the vehicle to ensure that the VIN matches the title.  And, they charge you a larger fee.

Anyway, why not start a thread in the main body about your truck?  I'm sure the guys would want to read about the fun of getting it registered, etc.  And then there's the care and feeding of it.

Pebcak - Yes, the bank does keep the title until you pay the loan off.  In fact, when you "import" a vehicle from another state, if they can't do the inspection the state keeps the title.  That's the situation with the Super Bee as it isn't driveable.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
will post the project in the main body once cleared. Will also add the story on the insurance then since this is a story itself. It is a thrilling project indeed

Yes to the Nürburgring Pebcak but that is far too dangerous for me with all the wannabees there
Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
Hi Jochen,
great seeing you here. But as I also bought my truck at Dieter and went though that I actually didn‘t find it a too bad having the car ready for TÜV and registered over here.
However, welcome here and lets meet some time. Summer is almost there.
Haveaniceday

Heinz
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Heinz - Don't miss his new thread here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Finally-brought-the-bullnose-home-td9865.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
Oh I see. Thanks Gary.

Am 15.04.2018 um 00:59 schrieb Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]>:

Heinz - Don't miss his new thread here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Finally-brought-the-bullnose-home-td9865.html
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/joining-the-club-tp8823p9874.html
To unsubscribe from joining the club, click here.
NAML
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉