intake manifold heater hose junction part

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

intake manifold heater hose junction part

66gtk
Does anybody sell these?  Where can I find a suitable replacement?  1983 F150 302.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: intake manifold heater hose junction part

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 66gtk
Part numbers are here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/elbows.html

Perhaps you can find a new one?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What's the thread on the other end?

IDK what screws into an '83 302.

I'm assuming 5/8 hose barb would be ok?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The link to the part descriptions was very helpful!  Unfortunately none of them look like this elbow.  I have no way to know if my elbow is OEM original.  Anybody else have an original 83 F150 with 302?
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
66gtk wrote
The link to the part descriptions was very helpful!
Glad it helped.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Did you ever find a part that worked?  I am in the middle of replacing my cooling system and my elbow looks exactly like yours (I have an '84 California Emissions 302), I can't find any part in the catalog that looks similar.

Top view (note module screwed into the side of it? not sure what it is, need to research)

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Chris,

If you can't find a suitable replacement, you can probably do it with regular NPT pipe fittings. You'd need what is called a "Street Tee" in 1/2" NPT, plus an elbow 1/2" NPT male by 5/8" hose barb, and likely a bushing for whatever thread size that sensor is...I assume 1/4 or 3/8" NPT.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think the sensors are 3/8 NPT.
I know street ells but never heard of a street Tee.
Which is male and which is female?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks, all!

I think after further contemplation (and later noticing the sensor inlet on the back side of the fitting) that it is a Type #14 (D30Z-18599-A) - (see http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/elbows.html like Gary posted above) - the description in the PN tab makes sense now also. They seem to be extremely rare as replacements.

The question is - do I leave it alone, or try to build my own?  What would you guys do?  I'm afraid given the condition of it that I could end snapping something off the manifold and having a bigger problem on my hands...
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think the sensors are 3/8 NPT.
I know street ells but never heard of a street Tee.
Which is male and which is female?
Like this:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/421635

One of these in the top, although there are much cheaper versions I'm sure. This is what I have in my manifold (no sensors in non feedback carb trucks like mine).

https://www.cjponyparts.com/edelbrock-heater-hose-end-fitting-90-degree-with-1-2-npt-and-5-8-barb-black-anodized/p/EDL8178/?gclid=CjwKCAiA8Jf-BRB-EiwAWDtEGmASBMRUfPe9VPb6SQ9MlFIt3Ozx__3lvreb_Tb2pA0fx-Y9gsP_9xoCky8QAvD_BwE

And a 3/8" x 1/2" bushing in the side of the tee for the sensor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-MIP-x-3-8-in-FIP-Brass-Bushing-Fitting-802289/207176817

That's all I was just thinking if a fella had to build that fitting with hardware store parts.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Cory, this is probably the road I'm gonna go down.  I can't stand to leave that there with all the nice new parts I'm replacing the cooling components with (Radiator is backordered, but that's another story...)

Regarding sealing the threads... RTV?  Teflon tape?  Wanting to it the right way and have no surprises
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Teflon tape for threaded fittings.

Have a look at Dorman part number 47993...that might do the trick too, and they're available anywhere at any auto parts shop.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-47993

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
I'd probably solder or braze one up from brass fittings.

I'm not a fan of tef tape for anything.
I like Loctite PST (anerobic pipe sealant with Teflon) in all its various flavours.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
ckuske wrote
Thanks, all!

I think after further contemplation (and later noticing the sensor inlet on the back side of the fitting) that it is a Type #14 (D30Z-18599-A) - (see http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/elbows.html like Gary posted above) - the description in the PN tab makes sense now also. They seem to be extremely rare as replacements.

The question is - do I leave it alone, or try to build my own?  What would you guys do?  I'm afraid given the condition of it that I could end snapping something off the manifold and having a bigger problem on my hands...
https://www.rearcounter.com/D30Z-18599-B-parts983838.html

Ooops! I just noticed the - A vs. what I found: - B. Sorry!
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks all, the parts are rolling in for a replacement.  

Now how to get the old one off the manifold...  Any suggestions?  It's not budging with an open-end wrench, but there's isn't much room to get a lot of torque on it.

Maybe cut the top off and find a correct size socket to use with a 1/2" ratchet or something similar?

One of my buddies suggested penetrating oil?
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How much stuff have you cleared out of the way?

If I could I'd heat the manifold at the connection with a small tip oxy/acetylene torch and then hit it with PB Blaster or similar.
Light hits with an impact could help jar it loose because sometimes just adding force is going to twist it off.
 Jim,