intake manifold dismantle

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

intake manifold dismantle

Jochen1964
Finally I need to fix my coolant leakage and it looks like the leakage is next to the thermostat where the intake manifold meets the cylinder head. I had some exchange with Gary about a year ago and I guess he was right with his suspicion. Any hints or suggestions from those who did this job before. It´s  a Windsor 302 EFI from 86. Can I go directly to dismantling the EFI and then the manifold or do I need to dismantle anything else to have enough space? Any suggestions / experiences or links to videos or manuals are more than welcomed. Greetings from overseas. Jochen
Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: intake manifold dismantle

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jochen - Sorry to see that you have to do that.  While I've not done it on a truck with EFI, it really shouldn't be all that different than with a carb.  You should be able to pull off the injection equipment and then pull the manifold.

As for repairing the manifold, I've seen it done using JB Weld, which is a metal-filled epoxy.  We cleaned the gasket surface thoroughly, filled the pits with JB Weld and let it harden, then filed it back to close to flat, and then used sand paper on a file to sand it back to flat.

Then when we installed it we used 4 long bolts with the heads cut off to serve as guide pins.  But even then it is possible to get the thing cocked a bit, so take care that it is level as you install it.  And put some RTV around the coolant passages in the front and rear, just to make sure they seal.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
On the EFI manifold I believe there is one bolt that requires a Torx bit and a long skinny extension to reach.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
T-40, 1/4" drive, 150-175 mm extension.

Or the Wiha 77117 is available on Amazon for around $10 delivered here in the U.S.
That 3/8" drive is skinny enough to fit.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Jochen1964
INstalling the lower intake is no different than installing any SB Ford intake manifold. There are definite do's and don'ts. Do not use th end, front and rear, cork gaskets or rubber for that matter. Do it all in RTV. Also, RTV is very important at the water jackets, front and rear. I smear a light coat on the head, drop the gasket on and smear a light coat on the intake and drop it on. A small amount is key, but you need to work quickly as small will skin up fast. Break the surface tension by rubbing the RTV around first on the metal. Done correctly, your intake will not leak water . .or oil as in the front and rear seals ( break the surface tension on  these locations as well, but end up with about a 3/8" bead to smash down when intake is set in place..
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Guys, thank you very much for your hints and tips. Much appreciated and I will return once done. Take Care
Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
So finally last week I had the intake gasket(s) replaced and for the last week the truck was dry. Cool. 
Though when dismantling we realized that we also need to replace distributor elements and the ignition cables. Everything is ordered and will be replaced once available. 
Gary and others: Thanks again for your useful hints

Viele Grüße
Jochen

Am 29.05.2019 um 11:04 schrieb Jochen1964 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]>:

Guys, thank you very much for your hints and tips. Much appreciated and I will return once done. Take Care
Meine Kurvige: BMW R Nine T

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/intake-manifold-dismantle-tp28372p28707.html
To unsubscribe from intake manifold dismantle, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yippee!  Glad you got it fixed.  Well done!  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI