classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

hi/lo beam floor switch - rebuild?

delco1946
It's always something.....

My hi/lo floor switch seems to be having problems. Last week it wouldn't depress like normal so I pushed harder and felt/heard a "crunch" of sorts. Fast forward to last night when I was driving at night with my dash lights and sidemarkers on...and my lows (or so I thought). I got flashed by a cop of all ppl and spent the next 10 minutes thinking "RUDEEEEE" and why would someone do that?

Eventually I realized that my headlights weren't on, and I could only get them to stay on by leaving my foot gently resting on the switch. Hi beam seems to work fine. (Side note - does anyone even use hi beams anymore? There's so much light pollution these days or oncoming traffic that I never get a chance/need to use them!)

My question: Has anyone taken apart their switch? Are these rebuildable? I'm sure I can get a new replacement but then its prolly overseas low quality junk but that may be easier than trying to figure out what the problem is with my switch. Plus i've heard they can corrode due to all the floor moisture.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: hi/lo beam floor switch - rebuild?

Rusty_S85
I dont think they are able to be disassembled and be able to be reassembled but I may be wrong on that.  But you can look on ebay there are a bunch of NOS parts for our trucks on there and I buy most of my parts like that NOS off ebay.

If you need it sooner I strongly recommend BWD which is Borgwarner, I use their electrical components as they are more on par with OE than standard for example.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I thought Standard owns BWD.

I’ve had good luck with Standards better stuff, i.e. NAPA Echlin, I forget what Autozone calls that line.

Never heard of rebuilding one.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Thanks Rusty, i'm not really familiar with BWD so i'll look into that! I do troll ebay for parts constantly so lets hope I don't have to wait too long :)

Also, totally off subject but I noticed you have a 1956 Fairlane Town Sedan! I have a 1955 Crown Vic so the 1955-56s rank high on my list of favorite cars. Are you a member of the CVA? I am not, but have been toying with the idea mostly in hopes that the newsletter might be helpful when rebuilding things. Even youtube has its limits! These cars don't seem to fit too well into car club categories (at least in my neck of the woods) as too young to be a flathead, to old to be a muscle/sports car like the mustangs and even thunderbirds.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote

I’ve had good luck with Standards better stuff, i.e. NAPA Echlin, I forget what Autozone calls that line.

They could, but Standard products ive had fail before they ever leave the shop.  Ive also had standard products fail on installation.

Did a headlight switch on my truck was a standard thing broke on installation where you couldnt feel the detent for park lights and then headlights it would just pop straight smooth out to headlights.  Swapped it out for a BWD and it had real solid positive stops for park and headlight positions.

If Standard owns BWD, then its just simply BWD is the higher tier product of theirs while Standard is their entry level.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
 I had a problem with a BWD sensor I think it was, the SMP was better in that situation. A lot of times it’s hit or miss. I think sometimes people return stuff and they don’t look at it and put it back on the shelf. 

Through the years Standard has been good. Seems like a lot of companies cheap out.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:02 AM Rusty_S85 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
grumpin wrote

They could, but Standard products ive had fail before they ever leave the shop.  Ive also had standard products fail on installation.

Did a headlight switch on my truck was a standard thing broke on installation where you couldnt feel the detent for park lights and then headlights it would just pop straight smooth out to headlights.  Swapped it out for a BWD and it had real solid positive stops for park and headlight positions.

If Standard owns BWD, then its just simply BWD is the higher tier product of theirs while Standard is their entry level.

You have been tagged to come see this post.
View message @ http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/hi-lo-beam-floor-switch-rebuild-tp85478p85484.html
NAML
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
This post was updated on .
I don't think they're owned by the same company, or else they are playing the market. BWD takes me to Advance Auto Parts whereas SMP takes me to Napa.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-headlight-dimmer-switch-ds109/20975689-P?searchTerm=Dimmer%20Switch

There also seems to be a Napa Echlin version available:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHDS114?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Purchased the Napa OEM part. Much easier than trying to rebuild a dinky switch i suspect. Sometimes I get frozen in the planning process so thanks for the reality check.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yes I use the high beams a lot as it is dark (12pm to 3am) when I go to work and we do not have a lot of street lights around here, roads or high way.
I also have the relay kit installed so they are a lot brighter.

I was going to say hit the local parts store for that switch as they are cheap enough and I have never seen one that could be rebuilt.

BTW when I rebuilt my truck I replaced both the floor switch and head light switch to be safe.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by delco1946
Go to the 2000’s.

https://www.smpcorp.com/en/about/history
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by delco1946
delco1946 wrote
Also, totally off subject but I noticed you have a 1956 Fairlane Town Sedan! I have a 1955 Crown Vic so the 1955-56s rank high on my list of favorite cars. Are you a member of the CVA? I am not, but have been toying with the idea mostly in hopes that the newsletter might be helpful when rebuilding things. Even youtube has its limits! These cars don't seem to fit too well into car club categories (at least in my neck of the woods) as too young to be a flathead, to old to be a muscle/sports car like the mustangs and even thunderbirds.
Yep I joined CVA almost 5 years ago.  The newsletters give some information, for me I just joined them as they are the only ones around club wise that applies to my vehicle.  They also have a forum that can be helpful but honestly my questions are so specific I got better answers from the yblock forums to be honest.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
This post was updated on .
Had some nice weather today and my part arrived early so I tackled this mini project today! Hi/lo floor switch is replaced - it was very easy. Prolly faster than the original time it took to post about it . I don’t usually get that lucky! Thanks all for help!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But, did it fix the problem??????  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Yea, i just swapped out the broken switch for the new.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI