headliner / no headliner.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

headliner / no headliner.

PetesPonies
What was used to secure the edges of the headliner when one was installed on these trucks? mine is a base model '82, no headliner present.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: headliner / no headliner.

ctubutis
For the sides, trim made of metal and held on with clips, there are rectangular holes cut into the inner sheet metal into which the spring clips are placed.

The back window has a similar piece of trim along the top held on in the same fashion, with plastic liners running the length of the B pillar and encompassing the upper seat belt assemblies.

Same thing for along the windshield, trim held in place with clips.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!

Chris is right. But maybe later today I can get some pics to show how it was done.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I have several older trucks and know how they were done. wasn't sure about the Bullnose since many things starting being plastic.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The A-pillar trim is plastic and ties the windshield and door trim together, but the windshield, door, and back glass trim is metal.

No need for pictures then?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Always willing to see it. The older trucks had trim specifically for the purpose of holding the headliner. It did nothing else. So you are saying the the trim that is at the glass, also holds the headliner. That is like the 80s Rangers as well, makes sense.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here are some shots from Big Blue, which originally had a headliner but it was so gross I took it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
If you pull that strip off (above the door) you see this:

The round hole in the middle has a plastic T clip that essentially holds the cardboard in place while you install the rest of the interior molding. The rectangular holes receive the spring clips for the metal strip above the door.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Since mine is a base, it doesn't have the full corner trim going up vertically. Just the small part that covers the belt assembly.

Which makes sense . . the lower end didn't have the headliner, therefore didn't have the trim to hold it up. So if I'm adding a headliner I'll have to procure some trim :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you'd have to replace that with the fill corner trim in order to have a completely trimmed headliner.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Yes, you have the small seat belt retractor covers. To convert to headliner you need the different A pillar covers, B pillar covers, metal trims above the doors and rear windows and the headliner itself. I believe there is a metal strip below the rear window as well that ties into the B pillar covers and secures a piece of carpet to the rear cab wall.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I may just go the older route and get the specific metal trim. I always lean more vintage anyway.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary - or anyone else --

That roof shape/contour in Big Blue being a 1985 has me curious.
It is the same shape of my roof and the headliner I had in my 1980 F150.

I removed that original headliner and glued vinyl to it but then it broke before installation (see below, before it broke)

The only headliner I could find to replace it were in the shape posted below (flat - they don't follow the shape of the roof).

I've been searching high and low for a headliner that follows the shape of the roof, but with no luck...

Does anyone have a lead on one or know what years had that shape of headliner (the shape of the black one above)??

Any help greatly appreciated!!
1980 F150 Ranger shortbox 4x4 (351M <-- Rebuild happening now)
Eaton true trac limited slip 3.50; wilwood disc brakes
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you sure that is the original headliner?  I've never seen one like that, and the catalog only shows the normal carpeted ones that are "flat".  For instance, in 1983 it was part # E3TZ 1051944, followed by a suffix like B2U, which is tan.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by gtanns
That’s aftermarket... I remember there was a discussion on FTE about various headliners people had.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by gtanns
gtanns wrote
Does anyone have a lead on one or know what years had that shape of headliner (the shape of the black one above)?
AFAIK, Bronco headliners mimic the sheet metal contour (molded fiberglass-backed foam), and F-series headliners are flat (folded edges).

Gary Lewis wrote
...Big Blue, which originally had a headliner but it was so gross I took it out.
It's relatively easy to re-upholster a headliner board.  The hard part is finding the material, but shop around.