headlight relay harness

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

headlight relay harness

Techguy
hi all,  maybe this is a fluke but on amazon\ebay and google when i search for a relay kit for the headlights for my 1980 ford f150. i keep getting results for a toyota\jeep one, like below. would this work?

Relay Kit
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: headlight relay harness

81-F150-Explorer
The 1980 F-series is unique as the headlamp wiring is different than 1981-1986.

Halogen Headlamps became standard in 1981, and the wiring and switch was changed to accommodate this.

The 1980 wiring is very inadequate for anything but the old standard incandescent (non-halogen) sealed beam headlights.

You can argue that the 1980-1986 headlamp wiring is inadequate, but the 1980 is even more inadequate so...

I checked the E-Bay add for the relay kit.  First few things that are notable:

Battery is misspelled: "Battry"
The wiring diagram is not very detailed or accurate:

So if it was me, I'd find a different seller or relay kit just on those two things alone.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Techguy
Description says the harness is for ground (negative) switched vehicles.

That is going to be a real challenge to correct because all three sockets and both relays need to be re-configured.

Is there a reason you can't find one made for our trucks?  (no, I haven't looked yet)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
ah yeah mines a bit of a frankenstein, the chassis is a 1980 and the cab oa a 1985, and yes the wiring is a total nitemare as it is currently.  really just need to rip it all out and replace. i have a 1982 wiring harness, would it be worth to use it or just get a new harness and such
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
good thing i asked. really want to pull it all out and replace all of the wiring with a upgraded system, best one i can find is also 1600 dollars. american autowire.  for the relay, would this one work maybe? broncograveyard
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The JBG harness seems specific to our trucks.
Id imagine that it should fit and function, though I can't say I have installed one.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
ya think would that be one harness per headlight? thats how it appears to be
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Techguy wrote
ya think would that be one harness per headlight? thats how it appears to be
No.
There are two headlamp sockets, so it installs pretty much as shown in the photo with one yellow harness leg going across the radiator support to the left headlamp and most of the rest installed right near your battery.

LMC offers one for $25.  https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/fd-1980-96-hd-headlight-harness

Amazon has the Putco one for $54.  https://a.co/d/9125u2i

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by Techguy
If you have a good 1982 harness, then that would be a good starting point.

You will have to change some things, like a 1981-1986 headlamp switch. Re-pin the cluster connector to fit the 1980 cluster, or replace the instrument cluster to a 1981-1986. There are other small changes, but those are the biggest.

The Bronco graveyard relay harness will fit our trucks.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
thanks guys!
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
thanks everyone, i went ahead got one from bronco graveyard, along with a few other items that i needed anyways, appreciate all the help