final cali parts shopping list! efi conversion, hei distributor. assistance please!!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

final cali parts shopping list! efi conversion, hei distributor. assistance please!!

doni10
Hey,

So I've been over here in sunny california on a parts run for my 1981 f-250 RV which is based in england.
There was at one point a dream of changing over the transmission to something that help with the gas mileage. 12mpg hurts over there!!$$$ Bill and Dyn have been had been helping me out with e40d setup suggestions and with where to potentially find parts. Unfortunately after having looked into shipping costs it doesn't really seem feasible...
not helping any either on the mpg front is the fact that the truck is currently equipped with an yfa feedback carb and all the california emissions crap, its been half removed  and is not not currently running very well at all.
after much research i think the way forward to get gain some cost effective mileage is just to get the truck running as well as possible with a factory efi setup.

Which I think would make my parts list as follows:

-  efi conversion [as i understand it would involve an efi cylinder head, fuel rail?, high pressure fuel pump (are these found inside or outside the later model gas tanks? ),
throttle body (will they all work with the kickdown assembly for a c6?)
wiring harness, computer, fuel return line and 02 sensor and temp sensor)

-an HEI distributor
, -something like this: https://swperformanceparts.com/product/hei028bl/
although again any recommendations most welcomed!.

If anyone could let me know if I’m missing anything else here please I’d be eternally grateful!

Thanks as ever for your help.
Apologies if a lot of this info is already to be found elsewhere on the forum. I'm based here in the middle of nowhere, -with very little cell reception and my only moments of stolen internet are on laundry days in town.
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: final cali parts shopping list! efi conversion, hei distributor. assistance please!!

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The factory fuel injection setup isn't going to work with an HEI distributor.
The computer needs the profile ignition pickup pulse to determine the engine is running (turning on the fuel pumps)
Also because it controls ignition timing....

The EFI setup has low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the frame rail beneath the driver.

But a 1981 truck would have a tank with the smaller fuel bung, not allowing that pump/sender assembly to fit inside.
I'm sure you can wire a high pressure pump on the frame rail, but I don't know if your RV has two tanks or just one.

If just one there is no need for a switching valve. But if two I would recommend the six port valve manufactured by Pollack and sold by them, Wells, SMP, perhaps 10 or so vendors.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: final cali parts shopping list! efi conversion, hei distributor. assistance please!!

doni10
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.
I seem to have been getting my wires crossed! - with the hei.
At least it sounds as if I've finally got the efi part of the junkyard shopping list sorted.

Mercifully my truck only has one fuel tank :)
For once it seems it's working with me!

So that just leaves me the ignition..

Can I ask if you know of any reliable electronic distributors that would work with the efi setup?

Thanks again.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The TFI distributor is going to work with your engine management computer.
An HEI will work with DSII, but not with the factory ECM.

You might look to RockAuto for a distributor, as they aren't wanting a core charge.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
doni10, this link will take you to a thread detailing AbandonedBronco's installation of an aftermarket fuel injection system on a 300/4.9L engine in a Bronco. I think it will give you some ideas.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1557261-holley-sniper-efi-install.html
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
David, I think the issue is Doni wants the factory EFI, and it simply won't run right without the factory distributor.

I haven't read Abandoned Bronco's Holley Sniper writeup, yet.
I do believe Rusty has experience with those systems.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
Thanks Jim. Appreciate the advice!
Will let you know how i manage to get on with it all.
And also thank u David for the video link. Jim was right though that I'm trying to go down the factory route.
I had considered the sniper efi however what with (as I understand) , needing a new intake manifold along with the carb it seemed a bit expensive.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
doni10 wrote
Thanks Jim. Appreciate the advice!
Will let you know how i manage to get on with it all.
And also thank u David for the video link. Jim was right though that I'm trying to go down the factory route.
I had considered the sniper efi however what with (as I understand) , needing a new intake manifold along with the carb it seemed a bit expensive.

Have you seen the 1 barrel version, for stock intake of older inline sixes?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_efi_autolite_1100_one_barrel/

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_efi_autolite_1100_one_barrel/parts/550-552