explosion in dash?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

explosion in dash?

delco1946
I was driving this morning (45 mph, regular cruising) when what sounded like a gun shot went off in the cab. Sounded like it came from right in front of me. In the dash?? I didnt loose any fluids that i could tell, engine didn't skip a beat. so i kept on driving. Heater and radio still work (newer radio so prolly not a capacitor exploding) what happened?? Could it have been a vacuum hose for the speed control???
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: explosion in dash?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Weird!  Did the speedo quit?  Like maybe the cable snapped?  All the gauges work?

I’m just guessing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by delco1946
Different era, but my 1992 Bronco's dash will pop (not as loud as you described, but loud, and will startle you) when the defrost is on and it warms up or when it's hot out and the A/C cools it down.

I don't know what it is. First time I heard it I thought the glass cracked.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by delco1946
Any chance a rock or some other road debris flew up off the front tire and smacked the floor of the cab?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by grumpin
delco1946 wrote
I didnt loose any fluids that i could tell...
You checked your shorts?
delco1946 wrote
...what happened?? Could it have been a vacuum hose for the speed control???
Not likely - a hose doesn't have enough volume to move the amount of air necessary to be mistaken for a gunshot at a difference of only ~14psi.  I'd be looking at things like the plastic HVAC case, the dash pad backing frame, the cast Aluminum pedal box, and the firewall around it.  It could have been the sheet metal, or the seam sealer.  If there are any soot stains on the engine side of the firewall (indicating an exhaust leak), I'd look inside near them.
grumpin wrote
...my 1992 Bronco's dash will pop (not as loud as you described, but loud, and will startle you) when the defrost is on and it warms up or when it's hot out and the A/C cools it down. I don't know what it is.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Steve83 wrote
delco1946 wrote
I didnt loose any fluids that i could tell...
You checked your shorts?
delco1946 wrote
...what happened?? Could it have been a vacuum hose for the speed control???
Not likely - a hose doesn't have enough volume to move the amount of air necessary to be mistaken for a gunshot at a difference of only ~14psi.  I'd be looking at things like the plastic HVAC case, the dash pad backing frame, the cast Aluminum pedal box, and the firewall around it.  It could have been the sheet metal, or the seam sealer.  If there are any soot stains on the engine side of the firewall (indicating an exhaust leak), I'd look inside near them.
grumpin wrote
...my 1992 Bronco's dash will pop (not as loud as you described, but loud, and will startle you) when the defrost is on and it warms up or when it's hot out and the A/C cools it down. I don't know what it is.
Well cool! Thanks!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Well it was sunny and sort of nice out, so maybe the dash was getting warmer? I’ve only had the vehicle for about a month. I’ll take another look over the  weekends, but so far I haven’t noticed anything. Although knowing my luck something bad happened.  It scared the daylights out of me though, and I’m sure the people driving behind me must’ve thought I was having a seizure .
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's hope it was just expansion.  But let us know what you find out, please.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
forgot to mention, all gauges are still working. The mystery continues...