classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

egr check valve

Troy
This post was updated on .
I've been detecting a bit of exhaust gas inside the cab and after a wee bit of investigation, I noticed the check valve has fallen off the tube that siphons the exhaust up to the space between the engine and firewall.

I was just barely able to get it back on but it is still billowing out exhaust as I could not tighten the u-bolt but only was able to hay-wire it to stay on. I suspect either the egr solenoid is not activating or the check valve is not opening but due to the poor location I find it virtually unserviceable, looking for best options
1985 (1/2) F150 XLT Lariat Explorer, rally wheels, no pw or pdl
5.0L efi a.t w/o.d. 175KM. clean interior is a great place to spend time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: egr check vavle

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Since you have EFI I think you have to ensure the system works properly or the computer will get its knickers in a twist.  And, since I am not familiar/au fait with that system, I can't comment further.  But, if it will help, here's an illustration thereof:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I believe the piece you are talking about is the Thermactor pipe that delivers air to the cylinder head ports. It is clamped to the back of each head and has a check valve where the air from the Thermactor pump is delivered. They are very prone to rusting out and leaking exhaust gas underhood.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
That is a great name for it, what isn't great is access. From what I was able to see with my ageing eyes was that everything was intact (components displayed no structural integrity issues) except for the likely corrosion that allowed the intended compression from the u-bolt to actually loosen it off rather than seize it on. This is not to imply that the part is functional. Even to haywire it on, I had to resort to using two 2ft pry bars as you cannot actually put your hands on it or reach it. It's an unfortunate engineering choice, it appears service requires pulling the engine. Much sadness.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So sorry!  At least you know what it is, although that is small compensation.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It is possible on a 302 to get it off without pulling the engine, upper part of the intake has to come off if it is the one on the back of the engine. If it is the one going down to the catalytic converter an exhaust shop can probably fix it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
Probably doable if you were to pull the head(s). It certainly becomes a value consideration at that point
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
It is clamped to the back of each head and has a check valve where the air from the Thermactor pump is delivered.
Here is a picture that shows where it attaches if anybody cares. The bolts are only very short, and mine popped right out without issue. This is on my '84 of course...not sure how different it is on an EFI 302.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995