carb rebuild prep/tips

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

carb rebuild prep/tips

delco1946
So I replaced my spark plugs on Sunday, and while at it I tried to fix a slow drip leak of fuel from the threads of my fuel filter where it screws into the carb body. I succeeded in making it worse and I’m very irritated. It also looked like there was grains of grit past the filter into the opening of the carb which I’m sure is plugging the carb and only helping to build pressure leading to leaking fuel. Also, my engine could be running smoother suggesting that it isn’t getting all enough flow.

At this point I’m ready to just pay someone to rebuild the carb (get the crap out of it), replace the filter (still new), and I guess to be sure this isn't wasted effort have my mechanic drop the gas tanks and clean them out and clear the fuel lines. If I go to this expense/trouble is there anything else I should be doing that I’ve missed?

This filter type seems prone to leaking since its all threads, what about an inline type that isn't mounted to the carb?? Have people had better success with this?

Thanks - Christopher
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: carb rebuild prep/tips

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it was mine I'd rebuild the carb myself with the instructions on here.

And I'd put the filter on with Teflon tape on the threads, which is a no-no but works if you ensure there's no tape protruding into the cavity where it can get loose.  Outside is fine and you can trim it off.  But inside is verboten.

Then I'd cut into the fuel line and put a real filter, like one of the plastic see-through ones, ahead of the fuel pump and one behind the fuel pump.  Those filters catch far, FAR more than the screw-in filters, which have a screen that might catch sand but not sediment.

Then, if that didn't do it I'd replace the tank(s).  New tanks are about $100/ea and you'll pay almost that much for just the labor to remove and reinstall one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Gary Lewis wrote
Then I'd cut into the fuel line and put a real filter, like one of the plastic see-through ones, ahead of the fuel pump and one behind the fuel pump.  Those filters catch far, FAR more than the screw-in filters, which have a screen that might catch sand but not sediment.
I like that idea!

What kind of fuel filter can you recommend for this, and where can I purchase a few?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I got mine @ NAPA and installed in the middle of the rubber fuel line feeding the fuel pump.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
I got mine @ NAPA and installed in the middle of the rubber fuel line feeding the fuel pump.
Amen, brother!  This one from Amazon is a 3/8" so may be too big.  Check the line size to see, but a 5/16" may be the right size, and I think this one is 5/16".

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
This is very helpful, thank you!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
Before the pump, Ford's of this era used 3/8" feed and 5/16" return.
You can see that in the Dorman applications for their fuel line repair kits.

That said, an 8mm filter seems to feed enough fuel for my 460 and lead foot.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
When I aged out of emissions inspections I switched from the 4180 to a 600 CFM 0-80457s, to a 750  4160, to the current AVS.

I needed to feed the right side of the carb rather than the left front of the primary float bowl.

An early aughts Nissan Altima fuel filter is 8mm (5/16"), has a right angle outlet and comes with two bits of hose and four high pressure spring clamps.

Allows a tight turn to avoid the water neck, manifold vacuum tree and the rest as it points right at my dual feed fuel log.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary,
Before the pump, Ford's of this era used 3/8" feed and 5/16" return.
You can see that in the Dorman applications for their fuel line repair kits.
Not sure if I follow.

Do I need the 3/8" or 5/16" filter in the rubber line before the fuel pump?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
3/8" FEED.

You should be using a 3/8 filter in the line going TO the carb.

(not shouting, quick answer on phone)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
So I had my brake booster rebuilt, mechanic put on a new MC, but didn't tune the carb despite asking for it. Engine runs like crud - its scary to drive now. Only one person in my area seems to rebuild carbs and he sounds over 80 with physical limitations, has no place to work, and I'd have to remove the carb myself. My truck gets parked on the street so this is not great as i can't move it if i do this option. I'm honestly just wanting to throw money at the problem and make it go away, but i'm hitting road block after road block.  

At this point i may just try and do it myself, but in reading various forums it sounds like i should also replace the egr spacer gaskets and carb gaskets. (I have vacuum leak issues so this could be a contributor and i want to "do it right" the first time.)  Fel-pro was recommended but according to their website, they don't carry my engines gaskets. Per Gary's website, i need a calibration code found on my engine which I don't have. How in the world do i proceed?

Motorcraft 2150 off a 1981 5.8L 351m
Carb tag:

E1PE BA
A 9E 16

PS -preferred option is to pay someone who knows carbs to fix this, so if you're in the Portland area......lol
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Christopher - It isn't necessary to have the calibration code or even the #'s off the carb in order to get the right kit.  The 2150 kits are pretty universal and usually come with multiple gaskets, so if you are careful and match gaskets up you should be fine.

But, if this is your first rebuild you may be better off buying a rebuilt carb.  Even though the 2150 is one of the easier carbs to work on, if you mess it up you could be stuck.

I don't have a recommended vendor, but in doing some searching on here, others have recommended:

Hite Parts in Ohio

Rock Auto

And you are right about the EGR gaskets.  Those can be a problem areas, as can the spacer plate itself since they are a known problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I looked into these folks, don’t remember who recommended them, but I believe someone did.

https://guaranteedcarburetors.com/

I ended up buying a Holley Classic so the linkage would match and I’m happy with it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Sweet! thank you both! I was in a foul mood earlier so thanks for the tips. I keep getting passed from mechanic to mechanic which has been frustrating. If i attempt to do this myself, I am very concerned that, as Gary mentioned, i might screw this up lol. I had a very long but productive conversation with the elderly guy who is a carb expert but no longer has a shop - he was trying to decline doing the work (can't fault him for his honesty!) but mentioned another place that he had heard good things of in past years. I called them and although busy, it sounds like they have the know how to both rebuild carbs as well as get my engine running well.

Until then the truck will have to look pretty in the street - had a heating oil delivery and the guy even asked about it (noticed the 8-track player of all things). On the upside, i'm required to work from home due to COVID19, and now have the opportunity to work on something i'm much more knowledgeable in - antique radio repair.

Stay safe!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: carb rebuild prep/tips 2150

delco1946
Hi all, hope you’re all doing well and staying safe! Update; so it was quite a bear to find a shop that was rated well and is familiar with carbureted vehicles, but I found one and they generally work on vehicles even older than mine. However I can’t say they have very nice bedside manner as they clearly have been treating me like a “dumb blonde”. Long story short they rebuilt the carb, egr gaskets, cleaned out sludge from the valley pan and changed fluids, etc. I’ve picked my truck up twice now ( not a good sign) and I continue to have problems with it but I think I would rather try to adjust the carb myself rather than take it back in as they clearly don’t seem to be spending the time or just don’t really care to do the job correctly. I think they did good work but that they simply haven’t really bothered to adjust the carb and that’s what my question relates to. First of all the idle is very low and when cold I have to give it gas, ( but it still doesnt run that well) and after the engine is warmed up it feels and sounds like it is idling better. The engine will also no longer start unless I hold the pedal all the way to the floor which I believe is an indication that the carb is flooded or running to Rich. When the engine is cold it also runs terribly with some smoke coming out which I didn’t used to do, and the choke seems to come off too early now and it doesn’t really seem to go on too much of a high idle. I’m pretty sure all my vacuum leaks have been resolved thanks to all brand new gaskets new brake booster and brake assembly and that it’s simply a matter of adjusting the carb. In your opinion does this sound like the idle mixture of screws are simply set to Rich? I wanted to get peoples opinions before I start tinkering, but I’m inclined to increase the idle speed just a smidge and lean out the mixture a little.In your opinion does this sound like the idle mixture screws are simply set to rich? Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Christopher, I'm really sorry you don't have things sorted yet.
A 2150 is a pretty simple and straightforward carburetor too.

Not a criticism, but neither Gary or Bill are going to read 'wall of text' posts.
Try to have some whitespace, and organize your thoughts, like this:

Almost six weeks ago I brought my truck to a shop with a decent reputation for working on older vehicles.
They don't seem to have resolved my problems or addressed the reason I brought it to them.
They have pulled the intake and replaced a bunch of gaskets.

But now my truck won't start unless I hold the throttle wide open.
When cold the fast idle won't engage, and it's so rich it smokes.
Then the idle seems to come off too soon.

I've picked it up -twice- and it's still not driveable.
Tired of this runaround and would like your opinions.

--------------------------------------------------------
My opinion, given the symptoms you mentioned, is the fast idle cam is not setting.
You should only have to press the pedal to the floor *once* to set the choke, maybe stab it a few times if bitter cold.

True idle should be set with the engine fully warm and the truck in gear.
Instructions are on the vacuum routing diagram attached to the radiator support.

Unless you have a tach, or some way of knowing the rpms, don't guess.
The fast idle cam may have a few steps or a curve. IDK on your carb.

Obviously because you have a C6 the engine can't be idling high enough to pull the truck into an intersection with your foot lightly on the brake.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Too bad you are on the left coast. I could probably rebuild a 2150 blindfolded, however, final adjustments have to be done on the engine.

Past experience on the 351M/400 engines, the carb was jetted so damn lean from the factory they would barely run. If the carburetor has the small air bleed metering rods and they were disturbed it may take someone with a good combustion analyzer to get it straight again.

Choke, there is a vacuum diaphragm on the back right side of the carburetor, it is supposed to pull the choke open a specified distance (I do not have specs older than 1983) to allow the engine to run. On the same side there is a fast idle cam, there is an arrow point stamped on it, with the engine warm and the stop screw on that side against the arrow, the fast idle should be at the rpm specified on the emission label.

Other items, vacuum advance not connected, bad or incorrectly connected will cause piss poor running.

Idle mixture screws, if you can get a 351M too rich with the factory carb I would love to see it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sorry and thanks for helping Jim. I appreciate it. The fast idle cam is just used during warm up, correct?  How do I interpret having floor it to get it to start?  Does it sound like I have that problem, PLUS too rich of a mixture then?
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Just saw your post Bill. In theory these guys know their stuff, they practically only work on carb era cars. I shouldn’t have any issues with vacuum, etc as they should have addressed that I would think.