classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

assistance please! -carter carb questions -

doni10
hello folks,

picked up my new old truck a few weeks ago, and she had the acceleration of a fingernail.- a 14mpg fingernail.
so to that end am rebuilding the carter carb. think someone had had a good at it before because they're seemed a load of things that weren't connected up.
after watching some online videos i think ive managed to identify most parts, but i can't seem to work out what this is....

also the cable from the 'fuel pump'?? (not 100% sure thats what it is), wasn't connected to anything either, imagine this didnt help the performance any.

could anyone please tell me where/what this should be connected to?

thanks!
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: assistance please! -carter carb questions -

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Doni - If you are getting 14 MPG ..... oh wait.  Imperial gallons.  Oops.  I was going to say that's pretty good for that truck/camper/caravan.  Maybe not.

As for instructions, the youtubes can be very helpful, but you may not have found our documentation on that carb: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Carter YFA 1Bbl.  And on that page there are two set of instructions available via the Instructions tab: The section from Ford's 1981 factory service manual and one from Walker.

The first thing you asked about is a dash pot, which is used to slow the throttle's closing speed to prevent stalls.  The second thing is a feed back solenoid connection.  You can see both of those things in the Walker instructions, and the dash pot in the Ford instructions.

Which brings up the question of why the Ford instructions don't have the feedback solenoid.  And I believe that is because that is not the right carburetor for your truck.  I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 99% sure that Ford didn't use feedback carbs on the 1981 trucks.

Does that carb have a tag on it?  If so I can probably track down what it is from.  But if it is like I suspect, there's no place to connect that wire as you shouldn't have a computer, which is what controlled the feedback carbs.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
thanks gary.

yeah i previously checked it out and it seems the carb was originally from an 'international - something-or-rather'. interesting that its found its way to my truck.
i must just grab a reconditioned one, correct for the truck, on the chance that this mixture solenoid thing, might be messing with stuff. after postage it only works out a bit more expensive compared to oredering a rebuild kit. thanks again. one less thing to deal with!

incidentally with regards to the 14mpg, im not sure if that is really what the trucks doing, (fuel gauge doesnt work yet either!), i just made it up as to say incredibly bad fuel mileage. forget that that sounds reasonable to you guys! : )
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Doni - I think I was wrong.  As said on the other thread, it looks to me like you may have a truck built for California's emission standards and in 1981 that did include a computer and a feedback carb.  So your carb may be original to the truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Sounds like it is time to see if there is a calibration number on the engine to find out the facts on this engine. After Gary showed me the Calibration list, it took a lot of guess work out of the equation and gave facts.

There used to be, and still may be, a sticker on the valve cover that will have a number on it something like this 654S-R00. And another number under it some thing like E6TE-CA. Finding these numbers would be a big help to you and take out a lot of the guess work.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In your case I believe a non feedback replacement carb would be the way to go as I believe from your other posts the MCU is no longer plugged up. Good luck.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN