Zombie, Frankenstein,golem 1983 F250 Work in progress

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Zombie, Frankenstein,golem 1983 F250 Work in progress

ebbsrig
The Zombie sporting new bed, first mod Got on the forum a month or so afo and Mr Gary Lewis suggested a build topic on the main index.  Full disclosure, I am a dang good mechanic, but useless at the computer stuff.  If I did this right, the angeles in hevean are singing and a picture of the Zombie is on this post

Eric B. Brewer (Ebbs for short)
Great Falls MT
1986 4x4 F150 300-6 AKA Superman -- Solid Honest and true
1983 4x4 F250 7.3 idi AKA The Zombie -- Will take any part from any truck anyway anywhere anyhow
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Zombie, Frankenstein,golem 1983 F250 Work in progress

grumpin
I see a Zombie! Good job!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ebbsrig
I, too, see a picture of Zombie.  Well done!  

So what makes it qualify for the name?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
I picked this 1983 f250 a year or so ago for $1500, the old girl was in pretty rough shape.  6.9 idi 4 speed combo was in pretty rough shape, the bed was total crap but the body and bones was pretty solid.  So I took a few pieces off to get a better look.See what I mean by good bones? 
Now, I been told that to make an omelet you got to break some eggs.  Well I don't like breaking eggs so I went  out to fine some a pre-broken eggs.Pre broken egg 1990 f-350 
Craigslist had this mangled chunk of iron listed for $2500 'cause it had a running engine.  When I responded to the add and arrived at the seller's place I said.... gentlemen...start your engine.  Alas they could not so I priced up cores for all the parts I could use and gave them $1400 for the wreck. When I got the wreck home I waved my magic wrenches over the engine and she fired up.  The engine and transmission became the heart of the Zombie.
Then the junkyard scrounging began in earnest.  Picked up a few nice pieces, full factory turbo set up, couple doors, instrument cluster with tachometer and the list goes on.
Suddenly and without warning Montana decided it was winter time. Brrrrr
During the course of the winter I managed to break the Dana 44 TTB which necessitated a slight modification to the drive train...Dana 60 monobeam axle swap.
It looks like more fun than it should be. 
Next up swapping the Dana 70 rear for a Sterling 10.25 limited slip rear. I will continue to pop in pics and one day soon the completed rig.  

Great Falls MT
1983 4x4 F250 7.3 idi AKA The Zombie -- Will take any part from any truck anyway anywhere anyhow
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  I now see the reason for the name.

And, that bricknose egg was more than cracked.  I was smushed.  But I'm jealous as I'm looking for the same axle to replace my D44HD TTB's.

Anyway, well done!  Can't wait for the completed pics.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
And I thought my rolled parts truck was in bad shape, not even close.
Cant wait to see the rest.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Yea, the donor truck had seen better days.  The driver crested a hill at a very high rate of speed, lost control and actually bounced it up under a bridge crossing the road in front of him.  He had to be cut out of the wreck and sustained some pretty serious injuries but, thank the Lord, made a full recovery.
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Hanging Sterling 10.25 All righty then.  The Zombie got it's new front legs, Dana 60 monobeam 4.10 gears new positive arched leaf springs, brakes, rotors, bearing job, drag link, and tie rods.  Popped in the track bar after 2 hours of the most awkward and irritating alignment and hole drilling you ever wanted to experience. Next item up for bids Sterling 10.25 4.10 gears.  In the earlier posts I showed a pic of my parts truck.  Today I discovered the cause of the crash.  The driver crested a hill as I said before.  I suspect that the pucker factor caused by his speed prompted a tap on the brakes.  When I pulled the hub off the Sterling I saw this-- Oil and grease is great for moving parts, but brakes are a funny thing.  Folks joke about greasing up yer brakes to make them work better ha ha ha.  Thing is on drum brakes it's a fact.  Oil or grease embedded in your brake linings will lock them up faster than me to the table when mama yell vittles are done.  I thought to myself "dang this fella had a run of bad luck" Then I saw this--  Either that Joker, or some other fella that should never be allowed to touch tools had pulled them hubs and instead of replacing the oil seals slapped in a bunch of high temp RTV.  Trust me I get that folks want to save a dime when they can, and them seals will eat up a Grant and his buddy Jackson.  But some decided to save the $70 ish and ended up totaling that 1990 F350.  Advice to those that will take it.  Save when you can, but not on the important stuff.  I reckon that everyone on this forum wrenches on their bullnoses, mainly because we love the trucks and IF you can find a shop that knows what they are doing you get to pony up your first born to get them worked on.  Unless you got more dollars than sense you get to get greasy owning the lucky 7th gen.  The Zombie will be on the road by the end of June.  Ugly as a mud fence, but on the road.
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good job!

"The driving dead"
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How much lift do you think you got from the monobeam and new springs?  I'm not far behind you.

And, what's this about hole drilling and the track rod?  Please enlighten me.

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Bear in mind that my TTB was smack wore out.  That said, with the positive arched springs, from any monobeam Ford 1980 to (I think) 1994 f250/350, and the straight axle, I gained about 2 inches or so in the front. I have not put it on concrete and measured it yet, but a couple inches is a close guess.  Then there's the track bar.  My oh my.  Looked all over the web and zippo on the track bar.  The thing is that any TTB is drilled for pivot bushing drop brackets.  I had it in my mind to use one of the existing holes on the far driver's side front flange (in front of the oil sump) as a starting point.  This works, but it requires a little finesse and cussing.  With the rig on the ground and the axle installed I used a plumb bob to check where the front wheels lined up with the back.  Jacked it up supported on the axle and checked again.  I needed to bring the axle drivers side about 3/4" to dead square it with the rear.  Being a little out is not uncommon according to the alignment guys I chatted with.  I ended up chaining the frame to Superman (the blue 1986 F150), and attaching a come-a-long to my 1954 860 Ford tractor.  Racked the axle over to position and installed the track bar with 1 bolt and a heavy duty c-clamp.  The drilling was less than pleasant.  You will need a 90*drill, a cut down 1/2" drill bit(I also cut down 1/4" & 7/16"), and you will have zero leverage to push the drill through.  I cut my bits to about 2" over all length and resharpened them.  Using the holes in the track bar bracket as a guide I started drilling with the 1/2" bit.  Once I had a good divot started I swapped to the smaller short bits to make pilot holes.  I can pop in a pic or two if you want.  It was kind of arduous but you want the track bar on the Dana 60 to stave off front end oscillation (death wobble) and improve handling.  You can always pony up a C-note for an adjustable track bar and let the alignment guys sort it out, but where's the fun in that?
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, 2" is what I expected w/a monobeam vs the TTB.  Thanks.  But I'm going SuperDuty springs and a reverse shackle kit, so will get another 1 1/2" supposedly.  And that will level the truck - before I start taking leaves out of the rear springs, so I may have to put the larger spacer blocks in back there.

On the track bar, I am spending the bucks and getting an adjustable one.  But the big reason is the extra 1 1/2" the SD springs and RSK give.  Erik at Sky's Offroad Design said that I will need the adjustable bit with that.

But, I believe my cross member is drilled for the track bar bracket already.  And if not I can do that while the engine and suspension are out so I should have plenty of room.  I have the '95 front clip and its cross member is drilled, so I know where the holes are supposed to be.

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Fellas at the shop were asking how my weekend went at lunch.  I was eating a sandwich and a thought came to my head the kept me chuckling all day.  PB and Jelly.....Bullnose style
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's funny!    And gross!  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
 And if not I can do that while the engine and suspension are out so I should have plenty of room.  
That's THE best way to do it. Otherwise the front of the crossmember and the oil pan are in the way and what you learned from watching MacGyver comes into play.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Amen, brother!  I read and watched Youtubes about D60 SAS's until I was blue in the face.  But everything I found said DO IT WITH THE ENGINE OUT!!!!

One guy explained how to slip narrow end wrenches between the pan and the cross member, and down into the little valleys where the bolts are for the TTB brackets.  But, while he did get the nuts and the brackets off, he couldn't get the bolts out.

And that is what convinced me to do the D60 conversion while the engine was out, and not later.

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
This post was updated on .
The swap would absolutely be easier with the engine out, no doubt about it.  Still, it can be done with the engine in while parked on a gravel drive way if it has to be.  Really wasn't all that bad except for the track bar.  Got both axles done in about 3 days, had a buddy help for half day dropping the front did the rest by myself.  Bending up brake lines giving her a good bleed then it's off to the alignment shop to set everything straight and cut in a new driveshaft. The Sterling uses a bigger u-joint than the Dana 70 did so I got to get the drive shaft adapted or replaced.  
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it is just the u-bolt, and surely the u-joint cap, they make crossover u-joints with larger caps on one side.  But maybe the pinion is also longer and you need a shorter driveshaft?

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Did not know about the cross over u-joint.  I will definitely look into that. I put in the zf5 out of the 1990, but kept my original BW1345 transfer case because the BW1356 did not survive the crash. The length of the drive shaft is fine, it's only the differential end u-joint requirements I need to sort out.  Thanks for the tip.
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The 1356 has a bit different shift lever arrangement.  Like the lever is up instead of down, or vice versa.  And the linkage for them comes out of the side of the transmission bulge instead of through the transmission cover.

Anyway, I'm told that you can adapt the link for an NP208 or BW1345 to the 1356, and I'll have to learn how as I have a 1356 in Dad's truck.  But it isn't bolt-in.  So you dodged a bullet.  Or a pellet.

On the u-joint, I've not used the crossover ones, but I've read about them.