Zombie, Frankenstein,golem 1983 F250 Work in progress

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Zombie, Frankenstein,golem 1983 F250 Work in progress

ebbsrig
The linkage from the T18/BW1345 combo literally fell into place on the ZF5/BW1345.  I even used the 1983's tranny tunnel access cover.  The 4x4 shifter and ZF5 shifter sit in basically original T18/BW1345 spots.  All I have to do is weld in a 2"x6" cover plate and I will be able to use the ZF5 shift boot and plate assembly.  That job is currently being done by gorilla tape lol.

The crossover u-joint I need is a Precision #459 Orielly's has them for $18.  That beats the snot out of the $150 is I was looking at for the driveshaft.  
Eric B. Brewer (Ebbs for short)
Great Falls MT
1986 4x4 F150 300-6 AKA Superman -- Solid Honest and true
1983 4x4 F250 7.3 idi AKA The Zombie -- Will take any part from any truck anyway anywhere anyhow
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad the linkage fit so well.  It didn't on my ZF5 swap, and I had to make the linkage longer to put the lever in the proper position.  How I did that is explained here: Driveline/Transfer Cases and on the Linkage tab and then the Adjustable Linkage tab.

And I'm glad that the original transmission cover worked.  Again, it didn't in my swap, but I'm happy for you.  

As for the u-joint, I'm thrilled for you on that one.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
The zombie is back on the road.  Got a wellness check Friday with the alignment man and having the rear end inspected.  Got to make sure drive shaft is correct length and check out the posi clutches.  I will post side by side pics to show the ride height change.  On a concrete pad before and after measurements show a gain of 2 1/4".  The over all stance might be a touch high in the front, I think I may pop in an extra leaf in the rear.  Jury is still out on that one.  I've got the factory 4" ish rear spacers, but If I ain't carefull I'll see saw the truck into a 6" lift and I'm not really about all that.
Great Falls MT
1983 4x4 F250 7.3 idi AKA The Zombie -- Will take any part from any truck anyway anywhere anyhow
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!

So 2 1/4" with a D60 swap and stock F350 springs.  Right?  And I'm supposed to get another 1 1/2" with the SuperDuty springs and RSK.   The front on Big Blue was already ~3 1/2" lower than the rear, so that should just about level it.

But, I'm wanting to remove some leaves in the rear.  So, maybe the U-Code springs in front won't be quite as high as the usual V-codes.

Anyway, did you put a special eccentric in the ...... oh, wait.  Does your D60 have king pins or ball joints?  Mine has ball joints and I'm considering one of the fancy caster/camber eccentrics.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Yep 2 1/4" with D60 and stock 350,  2 leaf, front springs.  My Dana has king pins so no eccentrics.  The main thing I am looking for from the alignment guy is tracking and square front to back.  I already set the Toe in to 1/4" The zombie was a bit low in the front and, as I said, is now pretty level.  I am a little concerned about the driveshaft being a touch too long but the guys down at Electric City Brake are good and will get me sorted.  Another quick note, I have the donor truck's 4" factory rear spacers, but I used the 1983 zombie originals in the rear which are only about 2".
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The track bar should have you properly located side-to-side.  And with the spring shackles/brackets riveted to the frame and a center bolt on the springs I'd expect it to be positioned correctly.  So, I'm curious to see what the guys say.

But the D60's snout is longer, so I can see the driveshaft being too long.

Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Back from the alignment folks.  They gave me an A+ on the install.  Front to back and side to side axle alignment as well as Toe in were all good and did not need adjustment.  Caster and camber were the same. The diff inspection was a mixed bag.  Gears were great, preload within spec, but no Posi Traction despite what the tag claimed.  I will be changing that in the near future.  Have to decide L/S or Locker.  I really prefer the road manners of an L/S, but I drive a lot of clay, gravel, and mud.  Will mull that over.  

Got an interesting offer today.  Buddy has a 1986 6.9 with Banks turbo.  Engine was swapped with a professional built long block a few years ago.  Solid cab, crap bed, bad transmission/clutch.  He wants rid of it and knows what I've done to the zombie.  Told me to make an offer.  Tough one because he's a friend and I don't want to rook him on the deal but I don't want to send his kids to college on my dime either.  To make matters worse I have the 100% T-18, flywheel out of the zombie sitting on my garage floor.  I'm basically a cleanup on the flywheel and a clutch away from another daily driver with less than 60K on the motor.

The wife will shoot me lol!
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If you knew the alignment was good you could have saved money LOL.
Good job none the less.

If you do get that 6.9 truck I don't think the flywheels are the same as the 1 you have.
Easy to find out is to look both of the trucks flywheels up and if the part numbers are the same you are good then.
Cant help on the $$ to offer.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ebbsrig
Excellent job on the Zombie.  But, you can't pass the turbo'd IDI up!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ask your friend what is the least he can take and feel alright? He might surprise you!
Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
Quick update on the Zombie and his potential kennel mate.  Spoke to Al about it told him I can get his rig on the road if he wants to put some money in it.  I'd sell him my spare tranny at buddy rate, help him put it in and as long as he was working beside me, I'd do the work for cheap bourbon.  Told him if he wants to unload it I got to pick it up cheap or leave it because I got so many  "projects" on the go right now and cash will be tight until winter is kicking us in the jiggly bits.  Al is mulling the repair but shook hands on me getting first bite when he decides along with a promise to wait till I had the splurge money in hand.  Win-Win.  I'm thinking less than $2K.  Zombie is running like a champ.  4.10's and still getting 85 mph under 3K @ 7lbs of boost.  Settled in suspension is leaving me about an inch and change low in the rear.  Might have to throw in the stock + 2" spacers out of the wreck to give her a touch of low front.  Promise I will get a pic of the current ride height vs original.  Got a buddy willing to do the photoshop to make line everything up for a good comparison in a single pic.  Waiting on him now.
Great Falls MT
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good update.  And, that is a win/win.  Either way it goes you both should be happy.

85 MPH at under 3K with 4.10's.  That's awesome!

Can't wait for the pics.