Zinc oil

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Zinc oil

Fordboy300
Could anyone tell me if she'll rotella oil is safe to run in Big Red (86 f150 300 i6) I usually run Brad Penn 10w40 since I've rebuilt the engine for the zzdp but since my engine builder passed away and his sons closed down the doors on the place two years ago.  

I was wondering if rotella was safe to run I've done a little bit of reading up on it.   I know it has the zinc but I dont want to use it if its gonna ruin my engine.  I just wanted to try something different this year.

I only change the oil once a year because it only comes out in the spring, summer and a little bit in fall.
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Zinc oil

Dyn Blin
The T4 formulas have 1100 to 1300 PPM of Zinc & 1100 Phosphorus and are recommended by Shell for flat tappet applications.

I last checked with them in autumn of 2018.

I use it in my bull in the signature and my Blackstone reports come back "clean" twice a year.  I put on around 10k in that period.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by Fordboy300
I don't see any reason why it would hurt the engine. I run it in my motor with no problems. Rotella has three types T4 is conventional, T5 is a synthetic blend and T6 is full synthetic. I run the T4 as I prefer the conventional oil over the synthetic.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Great!  I'm gonna give a go this year see how big red likes it.
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, I've been running diesel oil in my truck for decades.
The newer CI oil specs call for less ZDDP since newer diesels have Cats now...
But if you've been running Brad Penn you probably don't have a catalytic converter to clog up.

Any of these diesel oils will have a better detergent package that a Spark Ignition oil, and spark oils are getting harder to find in 10-40 or 30 anyhow.
All the new stuff calls for 20-5 or even 20-0 to minimize pumping losses.
... well that, and newer engines are machined to tighter tolerances so they need a lighter oil.

Don't worry, be happy!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
The T4 formulas have 1100 to 1300 PPM of Zinc & 1100 Phosphorus and are recommended by Shell for flat tappet applications.
I ran VW diesels for years and was lucky enough to have had the one year wonder 2006 camshaft eating Jetta TDI lol. Anyway, a bunch of guys on the TDI pages did a lot of oil testing as this particular flat tappet application was very hard on cams and lifters, and the two top oils that performed the best in all of the tests were the Shell Rotella T4 and Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) 5-40. I haven't used Rotella myself, but it is a good oil for sure. I'm running the TDT 5-40 in my flat tappet 302.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Been running Delo 400 or Shell Rotella in mine sence I have had it
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Forgive my ignorance, but from what I've read, ZDDP is only really needed for breaking in flat tappets... once everything is broken in (and work hardened as a result), it's not needed.

As a result, in my 300, since I rebuilt it (and broke it in, albeit with a reused valvetrain), I've been running 5W-30 Pennsoil Platinum (changed seasonally). But I'm not running it hard/heavy (stock rebuild and usage).

My other understanding is Rotella no longer has ZDDP... some regulation changed, IIRC. Both "understandings" came from research I did when I bought my bullnose a year and a half ago (specifically what oil I needed to run in it).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Oils still have ZDDP, just at reduced levels.
It is not regulation, it is API and JASO specifications.
I think the latest are SP & CK4

I said above that now that diesels also have Cats, diesel oils have to reduce ZDDP to keep from poisoning them.
Standard CJ4 (in 2006) called for reduced phosphorus compounds among other things.
So, there's a regulation for an emissions device, but not against the compound.

During break-in the case hardened cam shaft and lifters burnish each other and "get married".
But there is still tremendous pressure at that linear cam/lifter interface, and it is not like a bearing shell where the surfaces are essentially floating on a cushion.

No, the lobe drags across the lifter face, which is covered on an atomic level with ZDDP hanging onto microscopic features and providing a sacrificial layer.
This layer needs to be constantly renewed, and it can't do that without something in the oil.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
I'm planning to use Rotella T4 10w30 in my rebuilt 351W (rebuild still in progress) which is the same as I run in my tractor. Will be nice to not have to keep so many different kinds of oil around.
I was thinking for the break-in of adding some Lucas brand heavy-duty oil stabilizer and their break-in additive. The stabilizer because the short block will be sitting for some months before it gets swapped in, and the additive because I'm thinking there's not enough ZDDP without it to break-in the cam. Does this sound reasonable?

I'm no expert on oils, but I've come to really like the oil stabilizer I mentioned. It's really helped extend the useful life of my existing high-mileage HO motor, and it's so sticky I'm using it as assembly lube in its replacement.
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I used to use STP as assembly lube.
Then they had to take the ZDDP out....
So now I use the strawberry jelly everyone sells for cam and lifters.
I think the bottle I have now is Permatex.

Why would your engine sit months between break in and installation?
Just pull the distributor and prime the oiling system before startup.

Were it me, I would run Brad Penn  for the first 600 miles and then go straight to Rotella.

But do whatever you're comfortable with.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Personally I recommend VR1, it has higher zinc content and can get around the regulations by labeling it as a racing oil.  It also has lower detergent so it wont overly clean your engine and cause oil leaks.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I used to use STP as assembly lube.
Then they had to take the ZDDP out....
So now I use the strawberry jelly everyone sells for cam and lifters.
I think the bottle I have now is Permatex.

Why would your engine sit months between break in and installation?
Just pull the distributor and prime the oiling system before startup.

Were it me, I would run Brad Penn  for the first 600 miles and then go straight to Rotella.

But do whatever you're comfortable with.  
what im going to do with my engine build, im going to use assembly lube then prime the system before final assembly make sure everything is oiling properly then it should be good to go even if the engine sits a month before installation the assembly lube shouldnt fully wash off from a simple prime and check of the oil system.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
I respectfully disagree with "overly clean an engine"
This is a new build.
There is no sludge in there now, and a good detergent package will keep it from getting that way.

I've used nothing but diesel oil since I installed this engine and it is clean as a whistle inside.
The oil pan gasket is leaking because it has cracked. I should have used a better one than the rebuilder supplied.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty, he said "break in"...

I'm assuming that means 20 minutes at 2k for the cam and then a few dyno pulls until the rings seat and the bearings loosen up?

That's certainly enough to wash the assembly lube.

I get priming, just to see oil flowing out the pushrods.
But I don't think that is the situation here.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Jim - do you use T4 15w40 or T4 10W30? Year around?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Just did an oil change on the original 1973 Bronco 302 Used high mileage Valvoline and a bottle of ZDDP
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Not high mileage* but I like Valvoline Conventional (with Lucas ZDDP). The last year I've had a hard time finding Valvoline Conventional 10w-30 locally. Either no longer carried or rarely in stock. Would also like to settle on something I don't have to add anything to.

*Meaning I just haven't used it, not that I don't like it
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I use all kind of diesel oil Scott.
Delo, Delvac, Rotella, Supertech, whatever...

I got on the diesel kick when they actually had high levels of ZDDP and used  T-6 exclusively in my Exes Isuzu 3.2 V6 which were notorious for coking up their compression rings.

Reminds me it's time for a spring change.
I use 15-40 in summer.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Jim
Once I use up the remaining 10w-30/Lucas bottles I like the simplicity of T4 10w30 for the fall change and T4 15w40 for the spring.
Scott