ZF-5 durability question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ZF-5 durability question

reamer
I have a ZF-5 in my 351 4x4, Shifts great, even stays in reverse, new clutch. This was a boneyard-running truck find.

The only issue is loud "chatter" at a high-way speed only when there is no "load" on the drive train.
If I lay off the gas at highway speeds, and before the truck starts to slow You can hear lots of "gear slapping"

Very quiet accelerating, (it has a load) and very quiet decelerating (under a load). Just in that sweet spot does the gears slap around.
 Is this a warning sign of impending doom? or could this be this way for years?

Thanks
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ZF-5 durability question

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you have any noise when stopped in neutral?
Rollover clatter is common and not a sign of damage.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by reamer
Does it have that dual mass flywheel?

My 1988 I used to have with the ZF 5 and diesel engine would clatter on shut down in any gear but first.

Maybe they only used the DMF on diesels.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The 351W didn't get the dual-mass flywheel.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Pretty quiet at Idle, nothing unusual.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I've been thinking about this. Is this the same tranny I had in a 1988 F250 with the 7.3 IDI diesel?

A ZF S542 is what I believe it was.

It was a tough tranny but didn't shift like most manuals I was used to. Could be the miles on it, over 200k. I would start it in the "slot" for the gear and wait to feel it sync up, then ease it into gear. Like it wasn't syncro'ed.

I put Amsoil ATF in there and it helped a lot. Especially when it was cold.

I did have one breakage, I pulled up to a stop and was in second, Reached over to put it in first when traffic cleared and couldn't find the shifter. Looked over and it was laying on the floor. The shift tower broke. Made it home in second gear.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, basically the same tranny.  Different gear ratios and different case to accommodate the different bell housing bolt pattern, but still the "42".

Synchros appear to be a weak point on these.  They are a truck transmission and weren't designed to speed shift.  And they were designed for Type H ATF, which is explained on the Evolving Specifications tab on the Specifications/Lubricants page.

You didn't say which Amsoil ATF you used, but they recommend any of their three ATF's for the ZF5, as shown here on the transmission tab.  Apparently they all meet or exceed the Type H spec.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Thanks Gary!

I don't remember which type of Amsoil ATF it was, probably what Amsoil recommended on their website.

I've had good results with their tranny fluid, our Suburban would "hunt" while driving, shifting up and down and in and out of lock up. Found a GM Service Bulletin that said to use synthetic. It cleared it up.

Dane
Arizona