106 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XLS picture request

Ford F834
Administrator
XLS picture request... I am working on making a XLS information webpage. According to the master parts catalogue, there should be TEN different color combinations of XLS based on the part numbers for the stripe kits. I have the usual google search results, I am looking for any unusual pictures or XLS related information you may wish to share.

My collection of XLS related images is currently at 290. So if it’s an internet pic I may have already found it but I’d rather see it again than miss something. And there is a turnover rate. So if you picture scavenged, show me what you have. I want to take the best ones and have them here for all to see.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: XLS picture request

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Of the brochures I have the only XLS pic is on Page 9 in the 1982 brochure.  If you want I can make a high resolution scan of the whole page so you can edit it to pull the individual pics out.  But, we are limited by the quality of a brochure, so that may not be of much help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I think the brochure scans are good enough, it’s the original print quality that is lacking. I may purchase some other brochures and send them your way that have XLS info in them.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That'll work.  Could I also put them up in the Literature section?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
That'll work.  Could I also put them up in the Literature section?
But of course!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good looking truck!  

And welcome to the forum.  Tell us more about your truck - assuming that is yours?

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
This post was updated on .

Actually I must Check if it is an XLS or XLT.
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Beautiful truck Howling Wolf, but that would be an XLT trim truck 🙂

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
oops. Sorry
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Yes, I was a firefighter
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I bought this truck from Hiller Ford in Hales Corners Wisconsin
Actually Special Ordered it
1982 F150
XLS package
351 W
Granny 4 speed
Traction Lok rear end
Clearance Lights
Knitted Vinyl seat... Cloth seat was standard

Theses XLS trucks were preatty rare sight even in the 80's
I never actually saw one before I ordered it
I just looked at a brochure and liked what I saw
The 80's were not a good time economy speaking
The interest rate on my loan was 16.9%

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice truck, but that interest rate was AWFUL!  I'd forgotten how bad it was then.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Okay, I need some help with exterior paint colors for ‘82/‘83. I told myself I would keep the initial web page simple just to get it out there, but I can’t stand to just parrot what is already all over the internet.

Normally I would not think too much about the available colors, but when there had to be a specific stripe package for each body color, the color “versions” of the XLS start to matter a little more to the restoration enthusiast.

According to the parts catalogue there were 10 stripe kits. A and B are the stripe colors, and D looks to be the body color since the XLS lettering in the rear quarter panel has to match the body color. I have certification label pics for the black and the caramel, and the invoice for Jim’s red truck.

1C Raven Black
2K Candyapple Red
5G Dark caramel metallic

The rest are going to be guesses for now...

The 1983 tan I am going to say pretty much has to be 9Q Light desert tan just because of the year.

The 1982 silver is fairly self explanatory and should be 1G silver metallic. I only have a handful of silver XLS photos, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it’s not unreasonable to think that in 1983 this may have changed to 9V Light charcoal metallic:

For the blue, the stripe chart says 1982 was “Bright blue”, and according to that name on the color chart below, it is 3P Medium blue metallic in the parts catalogue:

For 1983 the stripe chart says light blue, which is code 32 in the parts catalogue. On the ‘83 color chart above it shows as bright blue (confusing!!!) but looking at 32 on the color chart, it is reasonable when compared to an actual ‘83 truck:

Now for the white, I am fairly baffled. The stripe kits indicate different whites for ‘82 and ‘83. The only white listed for those years in the parts catalogue is 9A which seems to indicate Wimbledon white. However, the ‘82 white Bronco that I have a picture of does not look like Wimbledon, and the one pickup truck that I have a picture of (year unknown) is hard to tell:

Any comments on my color code extrapolations? Dyn Blin, what color is your XLS? What is the color code on the certification label? Any ideas on the 82/83 whites? The parts catalogue paint list that I have been referencing is here:

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-paint-codes.html

1234 ... 6