XLS Dream

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XLS Dream

MotorsportXLT
Hello guys, Gary suggested that I start a new Build Thread for my "future" XLS that I plan on building when I get done with college. Back When I was 15 I bought my first Bullnose. It was a 1985 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0 auto. She was rough around the edges, but man I loved that truck. The only problem I had with her was she was a 2x4. Up here in MT that just doesn't cut it in the winter. I ended up finding my 1985 Bronco XLT. I will eventually start another thread about my Bronco project. About 2 years ago I found a rough red 82 XLS Flareside. I was going to make the deal, but i found a real R code 1994 F150 Lightning, and i couldn't pass up on the opportunity. Since then I have made the decision that I have to have a Flareside XLS, there’s just something about them. In the past year I have went crazy collecting some of the hard to find pieces for a Flareside. I have NOS taillights and a rear bumper.  I also have tracked down NOS XLS western style black mirrors,  headlight buckets, and a dash plaque. I have a set of used XLS dash bezels too. I also have all the black interior pieces for a single cab. I just want to find a black A/C dash. I also found a perfect black dash pad. I have a couple sets of fog lights and switches, and the switch covers. When I go home for Christmas break I will post all the different pieces that I have collected over the years.  Ultimately the goal for the XLS is to have all the "sporty" options that were available during the Bullnose era. Funny thing is, is I have all these parts for a Flareside, but no actual Flareside yet . I am working on a deal for a little 82 Flareside that I could make into an XLS. I want to paint the truck in a 2011 Ford  color "Steel Blue Metallic". Here is an Escape Sport with the blackout treatment. I think an XLS done with the right color blue stripes would look awesome in this color. What do you guys think? I will post more about this project as it progresses. I am in "day dream" mode as being in college I cant afford to buy anything.  

2011 Escape XLT Sport
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: XLS Dream

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hi Chris  
Gary had mentioned he was talking with you.  
Sounds like you and Shaun should put your heads together.
I have no idea what would come out, but it would be AWESOME!

As you know, this forum is well on it's way to becoming FOG, the flaresides owners group.
I think duallies should count too.
Anything with fiberglass fenders that stick out.

Anyway, subscribed, and looking forward to the build....  👍
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by MotorsportXLT
Chris - This is cool!  I like flaresides, although I don't have one, and am anxious to see your build.  And, with a list of parts that you need vs those you have maybe some of our "finders" will help you out.

Also, I think that color looks good with the blackout treatment.  Will you have the stripe made out of vinyl or painted on?

How 'bout the engine and tranny?  What are the plans?  And 4wd?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do they make wrap vinyl in "2011 Ford Steel Blue Metallic"?

I've seen plenty of printed wraps, but never metallic printing.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I'm going to have to go buy a flareside now just to keep with the trend.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, especially if this is going to be FOG.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I honestly don't know if they have a wrap in that color. I most likely will be painting it in that color.
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I am thinking about doing the stripes in vinyl, but i'm gonna talk to my decal guy and see if he can do them in reflective stripe. As for the power-train I am torn, part of me wants to have a 4x4 but part of me wants to do a crown vic front suspension swap on the front.  I do know that I for sure want a 5.0 coyote with a 10 speed auto.
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The Coyote w/a 10 speed would be good, but a 6 speed might be easier to find, and I can tell you that they work well.

Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
 I have been thinking about doing a 6 speed just because of the length of the transmission and me doing a short box
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is the 6-speed shorter than the 10-speed?

By the way, Blue has the 6-speed if you need measurements.  (I assume it is the same as for on a Coyote.)

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I started to read his list of hard to find parts he was collecting to create a "clone" and I instantly thought of my F150. Haha.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
salans7 wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I started to read his list of hard to find parts he was collecting to create a "clone" and I instantly thought of my F150. Haha.
Yes, I instantly thought of Shaun.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
👍👍👍👍😅
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm trying really hard not to go down that road again but I REALLY like Ranger Lariats.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
As you know, this forum is well on it's way to becoming FOG, the flaresides owners group.
Flaresides (and...cough...Stepsides...lol) RULE!...

The XLS Flaresides are sweet.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by MotorsportXLT
This ~is a very cool project! I hope the ‘82 flareside works out as a viable “subject” to build on. I cannot comment on the engine or transmission, as I know zero about either. That also makes it hard to comment on 2wd vs. 4wd since I don’t know if this is going to be very fast or just at a more modern power level. And I can’t really say how it fits into your collection that already includes an aeronose lightning edition?

Cosmetically I think you have a great color picked out. That blue looks super sharp with the blackout treatment. I also think the blue XLS had the best overall look with the stripe kit also being shades of blue. Do you intend to recreate that? How about the window mask? As you and I talked about on messenger, the silver bezels look amazing with the black interior. I would not go too crazy trying to find a dash shell that was originally black. The plastic itself is a white color, and all came painted from the factory. I painted a blue one to put in my ‘81. I used the SEM sand free prep, and Duplicolor black. It has been extremely tough, and held up to a lot of abuse. I have hauled things in the cab that rubbed on it. My grandkids have put their muddy feet on it and kicked at it while in their car seats. I (jokingly) told them if they didn’t knock it off I would cut their feet off and held up a pruning bow saw. Then it just became a game and they did it even more... 😅. To my amazement when I wipe it down with a damp cloth it looks just as good as the day I painted it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
Basically I want this truck to look 100% stock on the outside. So I will be doing the blackout treatment around the windows, and I will recreate the XLS stripes the best I can with the pictures out there. I plan on keeping my areonose Lightning 100%. It has a lot of miles but its a "virgin" truck and its all original (even the radio). I kind of want to make the XLS the sport truck it should have been. I know the 80s were terrible for performance and such One of the downfalls with the XLS in my pinon, is they did all the aggressive sporty styling and they didn't have the performance to match it. That's kind of why I want to do a coyote swap. On the other hand ever since I started driving I have really wanted a 4x4 Flareside. It is definitely going to be a hard decision. Thanks for the info on the paint! If it's holding up to abuse, then I will just paint a dash.
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - Are you saying the Coyote never came in a 4x4 truck?  I thought it did so you can have both the 4x4 and a Coyote.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Chris - Are you saying the Coyote never came in a 4x4 truck?  I thought it did so you can have both the 4x4 and a Coyote.
Even if it did not who is to say you cant?
I say if the products are all Ford but just not put together by Ford then why not do what the factory should have done.

On my 81 F100 flare side I did just that.
I added a rear 19 gallon tank using all factory parts from a style side truck right down to the dash switch that is factory.

Then I used the style side metal ribbed floor in place of the wood floor, lack of funds is why.
Don't get me wrong I do like a wood floor flare side but the metal floor will last longer and no up keep and it looks factory also.

Last is factory bumpers I added a custom touch to.
No bolts showing from the outside.
The front I added driving / fog into the bumper, the factory could have done this.

It is your truck build it as you like!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100