Wrong Flex Plate

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wrong Flex Plate

Socnarftrucks
Just installed a rebuilt transmission on my ‘ 80 f100 with a 4.9L. The shop where I had it rebuilt gave me the wrong flex plate (got one for a 351with weight welded) now I have a significant vibration.  

1. Since I did the installation myself and didn’t notice (didn’t know) the wrong flex plate. What do you all think is a fair agreement with the shop owner to remedy this screw up??
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wrong Flex Plate

Rembrant
Socnarftrucks wrote
Just installed a rebuilt transmission on my ‘ 80 f100 with a 4.9L. The shop where I had it rebuilt gave me the wrong flex plate (got one for a 351with weight welded) now I have a significant vibration.  

1. Since I did the installation myself and didn’t notice (didn’t know) the wrong flex plate. What do you all think is a fair agreement with the shop owner to remedy this screw up??
How long did you run the engine with the vibration? They should at the very least exchange the incorrect flexplate for the correct flexplate, at no cost to you. Do you know if the issue was that they ordered the wrong flexplate or simply received the wrong flexplate (correct part number on box, but wrong flexplate in it).

Are you wanting them to do the install?

Might not hurt to ask them...if they are worried that the vibration might have caused any issues with the transmission. Maybe they'll want to take it apart and check it out.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In reply to this post by Socnarftrucks
I would say the shop should exchange the one they gave you for the correct flex plate once you have the incorrect one removed to give back to them.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
In reply to this post by Rembrant
The truck has 50 miles on that engine/transmission combo. The guy said that he got the wrong flex plate from his supplier. Guess we both didn’t notice. I’m gonna ask if he wants to drop the tranny at his shop and replace it. I paid him top dollar for his services and it’s only fair for him to make it right
Reply | Threaded
|

Socnarftrucks
In reply to this post by Frank Wyatt
I’d like him to drop the trany and replace the flex plate at the same time check it out for collateral damage.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
No harm in politely making your case and asking him. Since he didn't do the install originally I wouldn't plan on it happening though.
Ultimately I'd say all you are guaranteed is the correct flex plate.

Sorry - never fun to have to dive back in right after it's buttoned up.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I agree with what Scott said. That's all you should expect. Anything more than a simple exchange would come with an additional charge for the extra labor involved with removing your trans to replace the flex plate.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
This post was updated on .
Worst case scenario, since the flexplates are identical except for the weight, you can cut the weights off of a V8 flexplate and run it on a 4.9. Been there - Done that!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gotta love perfect primary balance in an I-6!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.