classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Worthy donor parts for 460 swap?

Littlebeefy
Hey folks,
I'm prepping to put a 460 in my 84 Bronco. It's currently a carbed 351W with a manual (T170). I'm going to carbed 460 with a ZF5. I have the long block and tranny that I'm going to use already. I also already have the Saginaw/compressor/tensioner mount from a serpentine 460 E350. I found a 93 F350 2WD that has the 460 and I'm wondering what is worth taking off there, if anything? Is the radiator worth having (seems like upgraded aluminum ones don't cost much). What about A/C parts? I'm sure the alternator mount is the massive one that holds the smog pump; is that worth the trouble of taking out or should I just take the tensioner and buy an aftermarket support? What about the 450 other things that you guys know about that I wouldn't even think of?
Thanks
Chad
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Worthy donor parts for 460 swap?

salans7
Are you planning on running the custom mounts that allow you to bolt the 460 to the small black engine perches? The 460 perches are different, and you'll either need the custom adapter mounts, or to source the 460 perches. Just a heads up, the driver's side perch is riveted on, so you're gonna fight them unless you have a torch. You can sometimes find them on Ebay, and they are available aftermarket as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I’m going to use the newer 460 upgrade mounts that JBG sells. Simpler and cleaner and I got them on sale over the holidays.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Chad, are you running a remote filter or do you intend to divot your Windsor cross member?
The boss in the block of the 460 is worth having even if you're not using the angled filter adapter.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
I have a MAF/SEFI converted carbureted engine in my truck. Since it is a 1986 F350 it is a non-catalyst model. I left the smoke grinder (air pump) mount there, but simply went to a shorter belt on the alternator side. FYI it is a NAPA 060480 and works quite well. If you are upgrading the alternator (I have a 160 amp 3G), I found that a larger pulley (I think mine is for a 3.8L Taurus) or use a slow start regulator it will help with the tendency of the belt to slip after starting.

Oil filter, the factory angle adapter clears the frame on mine, but I believe when Gary was researching the frame information, we found, in addition to some interesting anomalies, that the 460 used a different front cross member. This may be the divot Jim referred to.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, the divot is there for the adapter, and the cross member has a hole in it so you can tighten the adapter from the wheel well.

There are comparison pictures in Big Blue's thread back when Gary was figuring how to repair  hatchet job.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I’m not going to the trouble of replacing the crossmember with the one with the “dent”. Too much trouble. I have the angle oil filter adapter that came on an 80s Ford van (I think) but I’m not hopeful that will work (will it?) so my fallback plan is the L&L relocator kit from JBG
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know where the JBG conversion mounts put the engine, but I assume the fan still fits in the shroud.

If that's the case, an angle adapter will not fit with that crossmember.

But what I was asking about is the adapter boss that screws into the block, and allows you to install the banjo bolt you need for either the angle adapter OR a remote filter hose connection.

You need a big hex wrench or Allen socket to get these in or out of the block, and I'd suggest Loctite because it's going to suck when it loosens and you have to pick the engine up or out, since you have no access.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Here’s a pick of the OEM adapter that I have with the other parts.

The boss is the smaller part that has the threading on the inside and outside, correct? If that’s the case, yes, I have it.

Anybody have any problems with leaks from the L&L relocator kit? Ford racing makes a right angle adapter that would eliminate the hoses:  

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-oil-filter-adapter-billet-90-degree-for-pushrod-v8-engines/p/M6880B50/?year=1990&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItebnsfqU7gIVmK_ICh3AJgzBEBwYASABEgLEM_D_BwE 

Anyone ever use this with success?

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
See 6890
Diagram should be rotated clockwise along the provided line about 90degrees.

Side note: if anyone has a source for the large oring, please share.

Update: guess I should have refreshed to see your new post

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which 6890, Scott???  

What seal is used depends on the filter adapter you have.
My truck uses a flattened seal, much like an oil filter does.

But I can dig up the numbers for both.
I know I've posted them on FTE before.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The left one
If you don't mind - post em up!
Chad may not need one but would be good to have them listed.

I tried ES 73036 but the oring in it didn't work for the ext oil cooler version.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
87147-S91 is a valid Ford number, but it is Fel-Pro 72494.

Edit: Rockauto shows them for $0.80.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I bought a pack of 5 -87147-S91 O-rings from Kool Ford in Keller VA along with some F0TZ-6749-B square cut O-rings for the bolt head seal (groove in the adapter for the remote oil cooler).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The adapters like my '87 don't have a groove in the flange of the banjo bolt to hold an O-ring.

I don't see why I couldn't use a later bolt, but for now I'm using an aluminum crush washer to get a seal.
The fiber washers Ford specs keep falling apart and creeping out from under, causing leaks and a loose adapter.
Finding a 19mm drain plug washer can be a challenge but I'm pretty sure Dorman/HELP! Has one.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I've never seen a bolt head with a groove, it is in the actual remote cooler adapter or the "grenade" oil to water one in the lower hose.

Here you can see the O-ring in it's groove under the bolt head:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh, okay!
I thank you for the picture.  

There's nothing like that on my angle adapter.
But having found a crush washer mine doesn't leak or come loose any more.
 Jim,