Wood beds in flaresides

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wood beds in flaresides

86 1/2 Brutus
It wasn't until i joined the family that i realized that the bullnose flareside still has wood beds..  Any reason as to why?  just really curious is all, i think those wood beds are beautiful
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wood beds in flaresides

Rembrant
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
It wasn't until i joined the family that i realized that the bullnose flareside still has wood beds..  Any reason as to why?  just really curious is all, i think those wood beds are beautiful
I'm not sure why they carried the wood floor design into the 1980's, but I assume because it was easy (rather than a redesign). The bed used on the Bullnose Flareside was basically a carry-over from the dentside models, but with different (fiberglass) fenders. Obviously there was still a market for the Flareside trucks in the 80's (the early 80's, at least) or they wouldn't have kept manufacturing them. By the time the last year came around (1987) I suppose they were getting just a little too old fashioned and had to go. I assume sales (dealer orders) for them decreased in the mid-80's.

Kind of like the 3-on-the-tree transmission. They seem a bit out of place in the Bullnoses to me...like they should have discontinued them in 1979. Again, that was an antique design that was carried over...probably because it was easy.

I'm a big fan of the Flaresides, but oddly it's not the wooden floor that draws my attention that much. It's the steps, the fenders, and the tailgate and chains. The best view of the Bullnose Flareside is from the rear;).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wood beds in flaresides

FuzzFace2
What's this?
80's flare side had wood bed floors  

They do look nice but also work to keep them looking nice and even more so if the bed is used as a truck.
I went with the metal ribbed floor bed because I would of had to replace all the bed cross members ($1000) then the wood & metal stripe and all the hardware and I did not had the money to do that.

I did have an long bed style side bed floor in great shape, trimmed down to fit and worked great.
It had the bed liner on it already I just did a "clean up" coat to look good.

Also note the bed wood came 2 different ways. Early years and early 80's used planks, later 80's used plywood sheets for the floor.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100