Wiring without ECU

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wiring without ECU

Andre
Good morning, on my 82 Bronco I am in the final stages of restoration. ECU and cruise control are cut out. Also new starter with integrated relais en alternator with internal regulator installed, all to make it as clean as possible under the hood. Has anyone done the same and made a proper schematic with the proper wiring color codes. This could help me in finalizing the project. Found all wires already with most of the functions, but now the final part of alternator and lights and gauge on dash are the final question marks.
Any help would be helping me a lot, as most diagrams on the site show the original from factory set ups.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wiring without ECU

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Andre - The Bronco is really looking good!

On the alternator, have you looked at our page here: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion?  There are schematics there, and perhaps that will help you.

However, you didn't say what alternator you are using.  That page is geared to using a Ford "3G" alternator.  But the ideas can be applied to others as well.

But, you said "lights and gauge on the dash".  By "gauge" I assume you mean the ammeter.  But does your truck have a warning indicator instead of the ammeter?  Some did.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Andre
I have a 3G alternator.

The instrument wire colors are included in the EVTM diagrams.
Are you asking about instrument lighting or vehicle lighting?

Many of us use a headlamp relay harness because it's a huge improvement over putting all that current through the headlamp switch and dash harness.

Are you also using a HEI distributor to eliminate the separate ignition coil?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm going to use a 63amp alternator, but with an internal voltage regulator, that fits on the same brackets as the original Ford alternator. I do have a amp meter, and that is the only thing I have not connected yet from all the wires I needed to sort out after I cut out all the ECU wires.
Furthermore I have the MSD ready to run distributor, that will be powered by a epoxy filled ignition coil.
I have bought a conversion kit for the head lights, including wire harness that will reduce the current over the old wires and switch.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are going in the right direction.  If your alternator only puts out 63 amps you don't need to remove the ammeter as it is quite capable of handling that much current.

I'd wire it as shown below.  You will be removing the regulator on the fender and its associated wiring.  However, the LG/R wire needs to go to the alternator to bootstrap it in when you turn the key - assuming your alternator has a provision for that as some just use the output wire to sense.

But the ammeter wiring can be left alone, as shown.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Thanks Gary, that helps a lot, it will be august when I continue with the Bronco, but trying to get the info I need before. More pictures will follow when the build continues.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!  And enjoy the summer.  Reading today about how warm it is there.  Yipes!

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim,

Thank you for your reply, I have already purchased the head light conversion, including the new wire harness to complete the installation.
You made me look into the HEI distributor, as I only thought they would work on GM, but I now see that they are converted to Ford as well. How is your experience with those. I noticed them on Summit Racing, and they are fairly cheap, to achieve what I want, a clean engine bay. I already have a offset ground plate for the air inlet filter to clear the distributor, so that should be no issue for the size.

Thanks for the tip, might be the one to go for. 
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Andre,

I don't have one on my truck, but I have installed (or helped) at least 6 of these.
In my experience they are all working well.

You must supply enough current in start and run.
My answer is to use a relay triggered by the old coil power to feed a #10 wire.  (I'm sorry not to think in mm2)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Thanks Jim,

I might get her running for now on the Ready to Run MSD, as you have to image that all we buy here from the US us about 2.5 times more before we get it at the house, and the HEI is a nice upgrade in the near future.
This Bronco is going to be a blast, but most likely has cost more than it ever did when build new, but it will have for sure have more paint on it as well in 82. Updates will follow when I get back to it in August.
Kind regards.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Andre - We are seriously considering doing the show this year as a virtual show. And only members here can enter. If we do I hope you will enter your truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Gary, I will for sure enter with my truck to the virtual show if finished by that time, to much work has gone into this truck not to show.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is looking great, Andre!  But you don't have to have it finished in order to enter.  We may even have a Best Project category.  Who knows as we haven't yet decided what categories we will have.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But all members should have a say as to what those categories are.

So, another multiple choice poll???  ðŸ¤”
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  But no one has replied to my post with questions in Virtual Truck Show.  So I'm loathe to move on to more questions when I don't have answers on those.

Maybe I need to start with a series of polls in there?

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Guys, please, I will not enter nothing until its completed, but due to import duties, and problems to find the correct parts, this will turn into a 45K rebuild Bronco, therefore its BS to do, but I had so much fun in doing it. Lets enjoy that those old Ford remain on the road, due to people like us.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Andre - It is your call on whether to enter or not.  But I can assure you that there will be PLENTY of un-finished trucks entered.  (In fact, whose truck is ever truly finished?)  Here are some that might be entered that aren't done:

Dad't Truck: This thing is FAR from being finished.  Years from it as there is no fuel system, cooling system, interior, trim, etc.  But I'll probably enter it.

Big Blue: If I get on a roll I may be driving BB by then, but he won't be "done".  Far from it, as at that point in time I for sure won't have the EFI on, nor the headliner, CB radio, air compressor, etc.

Shaun's 1980ish Ford F350 Ranger XLT 4x4 460/T19/D60-Sterling: He's already said he is going to enter it, but will pull the engine, transmission, and other associated goodies out of storage to take pics of them for the entry.

Bill's Darth: Bill/85lebaront2's "Darth", which is a 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI and with an E4OD, is running.  But he has a brand new 460 waiting to be installed.  So does that qualify as "done"?
 I don't think so.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.  It is your decision, but you won't be alone if you decide to enter your truck before it is finished.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Gary,
Is the workshop manual as you show for sale anywhere? It be extremely handy to have, although most of it is completed, you never know what the future might bring.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Andre, the factory shop manual sets are available in two versions - in the original paper and on CD.  Originally there were usually three books in the set:

Body Chassis Electrical
Engine
 Pre-Delivery Maintenance Lubrication

The most cost effective approach appears to be this one on CD.  It includes those three volumes but also three more, including the EVTM.

However, I will have to tell you that most of the people that are scanning these documents and creating pdf's aren't making the pdf's searchable.  Basically what you are getting is pictures of the pages.  But if you are handy with a computer, or know someone that is, you can usually run an optical character recognition program against the files and make them searchable, which is a big help.

But, if you'd prefer paper copies they are available as well.  In fact the company that has the CD's says they have paper.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Gary Great, thanks, I will look into getting one
Amsterdam Bronco