Wiring 97 4.ol into 87B2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wiring 97 4.ol into 87B2

money pit 69
Ok I'm fighting the wiring conversion form 87 to 97 quite a difference. I read I just study wiring diagrams from both years and I gain very little head way. (not whining just frustrated) I had help with the grounds the other day which helped. 97 BLK and BLK/WHT are both grounds. I a very common sense person so right now I'm thinking when I look at the different wires from the PDB fuse box 97 there are so many things I won't be using ; ABS, air bags, things like power seats, power widows will be powered by the I/F of the 87 so those can all come out of the 97 PDB underhood. Let's start here with this question. THX
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wiring 97 4.ol into 87B2

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The short answer to your question is "yes".  But, first you have to decide if you are going to stay with the '87 power wiring or go to the later '97 wiring.  In other words, are you using the '87 fuse box or the '97 power distribution box?

I ask because there may be some things in the PDB that you'll need.  For instance, my implementation of a '96 EEC-V system requires several of the relays that are in the PDB.  And if you are going with the full EEC-V system I think you'll have to have several of those functions as well.

So, before we get further, please tell us more of your plans.  You mentioned them in the introduction thread, but we need the details here.  And, by the way, Bill/85lebaront2 has already done this on Darth and I'm in the midst of it on Big Blue.  But we put/are putting EEC-V into a Bullnose rather than a Bricknose, so there will be some differences.

Anyway, over to you.  Please detail your plans: Engine; fuel system; electrical system; etc.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
My feeling from what he says is a 4.0L V6 into what I would think is a Mazda B2? maybe B2000? If it is and had the Mazda 2.0L it is nothing like the old German 2.0L in the original Pinto. Those were interesting, Kent (British) 1.6L or optional Cologne (German) 2.0L.

The Kent 1.6L was a pushrod crossflow head engine and the Cologne 2.0L was an OHC crossflow head engine, FWIW, the 2.3L is somewhat based on the Cologne engine.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

money pit 69
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary, yes I will post my project and write up with pictures. Now what Bullnose should I start this in project or just continue where I'm posting now?
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
My feeling from what he says is a 4.0L V6 into what I would think is a Mazda B2? maybe B2000?
I'm thinking Bronco II, and his donor is a 97 Explorer.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You might be right on that, I just never heard it as B2 (one of our companies former owners builds B2s) the one that is just a giant wing. I hope he's not using the OHC one, but if he is, he would be ahead of the game to replace all 3 timing chains (and I thought a Lotus 1600 or Toyota 8RC had weird timing chain systems).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by money pit 69
Continue posting on this thread.  That'll elicit the most help.

But make sure you help us understand all the bits and pieces about your project.  And expect us to ask questions.  But I'm confident we can get you going.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

money pit 69
Ok I will stay in this post. My project is as follows: my present project 1987 Ford Bronco 2, Eddie Bauer edition 4 wheel drive.When I bought it had the 2.9l removed and the 4.0l  engine and transmission complete from a 1997 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive installed in the Bronco. I have left the Bronco2 dash complete and the Bronco headlight wire harness intact. I was playing around yesterday I have headlights, turn signals and most of the electric things inside the cab working. So I will leave all of that on the Bronco's interior fuse panel. The under hood PDB box from the 97 Ranger which I have transplanted to the Bronco I will use to run the engine mostly. a 1997 Ranger 4.0l EFI engine and transmission together. The Ranger 4.0l engine harness is complete to most all of the sensors is complete and hooked up.The PCM is mounted and hooked up to the connector. The starter is hooked to the starter relay and battery. I installed I have hooked up as many grounds as I can identify, a temp battery for testing. Now I struggle with the underhood conversion wiring. A real challenge for a non wiring expert. I have reached out all over for help and get bits and pieces from time to time that are helpful. I was trying to add pictures but it wold not let me.
From time to time I get so burnt out at starring at those wires I jump to little things like interior problems like electric windows not working right, door locks only locking not opening and such. Thx David
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Pictures need to be less than 500 mb in size so you will need some way of resizing them.

Connectors, if you need some, first get an on-line version of the Motorcraft wiring pigtail catalog. I have it, also lots of salvaged connectors and part numbers for aftermarket sources for the pins/sockets for them.

One very important item, sensor string voltage is very low (5 volts) so any extra resistance will give you screwy results. I soldered every connection, and if I spliced a wire I used heat shrink over the splice.

Good luck with it! If I can help (from a distance) let me know.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On the pictures, there are how-to instructions on the Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's page.  And pictures would help us help you.

On the "underhood conversion wiring", do you have a game plan?  In other words, have you taken the wiring diagram for the 97's power distribution box and mapped out where each of the needed wires will go?

To me that's the very first step.

Reply | Threaded
|

money pit 69
My goal right now is to figure out what wires of this mess of wires I need to make this thing turn over and start after that. I study the diagrams but being cautious about pulling wires I might need later . I not confident enough to do that yet. I from the old school cars a little gas and spark go. I always took these new cars to the shop for repair so never got involved until I retired as a hobby. What I know is the PCM controls the whole show. I trying to find a course (maybe C.C. I can take to help me understand whats required to make these things run and reading wiring diagrams.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Nice looking truck! Are you planning on keeping the complete 1997 system? If so then you will need all 3 O2 sensors (easiest way would be use the pipes and converter from the ranger) If you are not, you will need the computer from the 97 as it is a DIS system (triple coil, firing two plugs at a time). If not you will probably need to see if your 2.9L distributor will work in the 4.0L block.

If you stay with the 97 computer, but will not have all of the OBD-II stuff the EEC will need to be reflashed to reflect the changes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Do you have the '97 wiring diagram?  I have the '96 EVTM.  Do you expect the '96 and '97 Ranger wiring to be the same?

If so, I could scan in the pages for the '96 Ranger and we could talk about where the salient wires need to go.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can get them off AllData, my 1996 EVTM does not include the Ranger, only F-series and Bronco.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh!  Hadn't thought that the Ranger wouldn't be covered in the EVTM.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Last time a Ranger was included would have been 1981? The last year it was on a full size truck.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup, that would be Dad's truck.  Last full-sized Ranger.

Reply | Threaded
|

money pit 69
Thank You guys for trying to get me going. I had to go buy a new battery yesterday that old interstate gave it up. There is a yellow wire that powered the ignition switch in the 97 Ranger PDB to I/p fuse panel. Do I need to hook that to the ignition switch. (Note I have power to the interior from the 87 fuse panel).I have power windows, lights, radio, heater blower working. The wiper motor must be froze tried to start it started then stopped and the fuse got very hot. The door locks lock but won't unlock. Nothing new under the hood still wiring puzzle. Here's a couple of pictures.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, first question, where are you getting the wiring diagrams? Second, B2 1987, originally 2.9L correct? Manual or automatic and what transmission are you using on the swap?  

In the mean time I will try to look at a few things on the wiring for you.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Biggest thing I see is the same problems I ran into on my upgrade from a carbureted 460 to MAF/SEFI along with the dash and steering column changes.

Your 1987 is a pretty straight forward truck, fairly basic design with only one power feed to the ignition switch, the wipers are probably a knob that turns one way for low and high, the other way for interval. 1997 the steering column and ignition switch are completely changed, 1997 has 4 separate power inputs from a single 60 amp fuse in the PDC, the 1987 switch has two inputs from a spliced yellow wire, circuit 37. You can take one of the 1997 yellow wires (bigger the better) to feed your ignition switch.

Wipers, do not try to use the relays in the PDC, simply use your old wiper system, 1997 uses a body computer for the wiper control.

Power locks, again, if the Bronco has them keep those, it is easier unless the Ranger has the remote keyless entry and keypad.

Starter, again, keep the B2 system rather than deal with the Ranger stuff, if you have to use it, it can be fun.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile