Wiring 97 4.ol into 87B2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wiring 97 4.ol into 87B2

money pit 69
Yes Bill original 2.9l. I get wiring diagrams form all over Chilitons, The Ranger Station, Bronco Coral, All Data the latest couple were from a mechanic on Just Ask. The trans is the one that came with the 97 Ranger Auto. It was transferred as one unit. Not sure with trans it is I don't have the Vin for the ranger. And have not spent any time under the truck. To many other fish frying this time.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, transmission is probably a 5R55E, not one of Ford's "better ideas" they made a 5 speed from the 4 speed by playing around with the shift sequence to supposedly get rid of a large jump in gear ratios. If it is the 4R55E you are better off. The 4R ratios are 2.47, 1.47, 1.00 and 0.75:1, 5R ratios are 2.47, 1.87, 1.47, 1.00 and 0.75. The way it gets the 1.87 is by "split shifting the gearset. Good friend had one in an Explorer 4.0L, started slipping on the 2-3 shift. You will definitely need the engine computer from the Ranger, the B2 probably had the A4LD (predecessor to the electronic ones).

If you can find copies of the Ford EVTMs at your library or on eBay you will be way ahead to invest in them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

money pit 69
Can I crawl under the truck and figure out what trans I have by the pan or something. I just invested in a service manual called 1997 Ranger  Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual is "EVTM.  That's exactly the right manual as it will have all of the wiring for your engine and electronics, and it is broken out by "system".

As for ID'ing your tranny, there's some info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.html.  However, while it shows the 4R55E it doesn't really show the 5R55E.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

money pit 69
In reply to this post by money pit 69
Well here it is Monday other week ahead. I've been working inside the truck taking a break from those wires and I do mean many many wires. Now I'm back at the wires today I'm working on identifing the old Bronco wires that come into the engine compartment and eliminating them. I thinking that I don't need any of them I have the headlight harness separate so I will be using the 97 Ranger wiring under the hood and back to the Bronco ignition switch. Agree or Disagree.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
 I don't remember for sure what you have.  It would really help if you had a signature that tells us what you have and are doing.  There are over 500 people on the forum and it is hard to keep track of everything in my little brain.

Anyway, relying on my memory, I'm not sure you want to eliminate those wires.   If I remember correctly you have an '87 Bronco II, and if its wiring is anything like the Bullnose wiring there are feeds to the fuse box in those wires.  So you'd lose accessories, if nothing else.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI