Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

Danny G
I have a few of tools made by IWISS for crimps and they are good tools. I used the lugger to do the large gauge crimps to my alternator getting my truck back on the road. I used the one with changeable dies to repin a wedgelock connector or two in the truck.

Proper crimps require a tool designed for the job (not pliers lol) and those crimps basically become cold welds with an excellent connection and can be gas tight in themselves with no other media.

Set with changeable dies does a range of insulated(not heat shrink) and non insulated connections ($28).

And these for heat shrink butt splices and terminals ($20).

These for 8awg to 1/0, I used these to crimp my alternator cabling ( $30).

These for wedge lock/molex style contacts with boots for fluidtight connectors ($19)

Heck they even make a set that is like the DMC contact crimpers.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's really good info.  If I remember correctly, Jim recommended the Iwiss tools previously.

But, this brings up lots of questions.  On the 8 to 1/0 tool, does it work well with standard AWG terminals?  I ask because my hydraulic crimper's die are metric, not AWG, and that means it won't properly crimp normal AWG terminals.  (It will properly crimp the Magnalugs though as they are thicker than standard AWG's.)  If it works well with standard AWG terminals, I'd go for this one over my hydraulic crimper and stick to nothing bigger than 1/0.

On the ones you listed for "heat shrink butt splices and terminals", does that mean it works with all heat shrink covered terminals, or just butt splices?  And is it fussy about whose terminals its fed?

Anyway, thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Great timing on this thread!

So you used IWS-1424B (the $19.99 ones) on the wedgelocks referenced here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-connectors.html ?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Also curious on the battery cable crimping tool.

Along those lines, do you recall what adhesive shrink tubing you used for the battery cable? There are a lot of options out there (would like red/black vs all red) so always prefer to order a set that is known to work well.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
That's really good info.  If I remember correctly, Jim recommended the Iwiss tools previously.

But, this brings up lots of questions.  On the 8 to 1/0 tool, does it work well with standard AWG terminals?  I ask because my hydraulic crimper's die are metric, not AWG, and that means it won't properly crimp normal AWG terminals.  (It will properly crimp the Magnalugs though as they are thicker than standard AWG's.)  If it works well with standard AWG terminals, I'd go for this one over my hydraulic crimper and stick to nothing bigger than 1/0.

On the ones you listed for "heat shrink butt splices and terminals", does that mean it works with all heat shrink covered terminals, or just butt splices?  And is it fussy about whose terminals its fed?

Anyway, thanks!

The 8 to 1/0 is made for standard AWG terminals. They actually have a video showing them do it. They also have a pneumatic crimper too for around $240.

For the ones I listed for heat shrink, yes these are for terminals/splices covered already with heat shrink, it does not have that insulation grip crimp.

The crimper that has changeable dies has one for insulated/insulated connections. If you use this on a connection with heat shrink it will damage the heat shrink as it is designed to form the standard plastic insulation to grip the jacket of the wire. I have accidentally grabbed this one when doing heat shrink covered terminals and when I heated them with my heat gun they split because where that insulation crimp happens it will cut the shrink.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
couldnt find pictures of my crimp but here is some from the site.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote

So you used IWS-1424B (the $19.99 ones) on the wedgelocks referenced here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-connectors.html ?
Only if you are doing seal boots and not standard wedgelocks. The IWS-30J with the A03B die set is what you can use for standard wedge locks in the link you provided. If you look at my project thread I use them there.

Or they have a dedicated tool as well, 1424A

The 1424 B is for wedge locks that also have all weather sealing boots.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
wedgelocks are a two part crimp.

The first crimp curls the conductor crimp in on the conductor (closest to the barrel/pin side). The second crimp curls in the insulation grip creating a built in strain relief.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
kramttocs wrote

Page 3 of the "Hook'em Up Loose" thread I do a wedge lock connector.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
kramttocs wrote
Also curious on the battery cable crimping tool.

Along those lines, do you recall what adhesive shrink tubing you used for the battery cable? There are a lot of options out there (would like red/black vs all red) so always prefer to order a set that is known to work well.
Most of that tube is all the same stuff just different sellers.

You just want to make sure you have tube that is double wall, and that fits well. Double wall has an inner adhesive that melts and squeezes out when the tube shrinks. This seals the heat shrink to the elements.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks!
Will be ordering the IWS-30J shortly.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ordered these and the tool set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075NBCDPQ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LD9DCWH?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image&th=1&psc=1

A PO saved some time using a vampire connector and I am having to spend time repairing the factory wire after it came apart (when removing the vampire) so I guess the universe is happy and balanced 😀
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Scatch,
I do like my Iwiss tool enough to have recommended it to Gary (and that is high praise on the cost-effectiveness scale)

Thanks for bringing these other Iwiss products to my attention, and thanks for starting this thread!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've used the 3:1 stuff a lot and really like it.  And I have pretty much the same kit, although mine didn't have the red in it.  Good stuff.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I wish I had that $30 #8 - 1/0 crimper instead of my hydraulic one.  Not because it is less expensive, but because it has AWG die instead of metric.  I've figured out how to use the hydraulic/metric one, but the other is more straighforward.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
You guys are killing me! I can't seem to keep my credit card in my pocket these days.
But seriously, these are good-looking tools and the price really isn't that bad.

What I've been wondering about recently is cordless soldering guns. Ive got a little butane pen-type that is about only good for heating shrink wrap. It can cold solder when necessary but there's very little point in that ever. My "shop" doesn't currently have a power source so if I were to do any soldering (which I need to do very soon), I have to run a long Edison cable. Is there any cordless soldering tool worth using or am I barking up a tree that doesn't exist?
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
While on the topic of wire crimping tools, and I may have missed this if it was discussed earlier in this thread, but are there any special tools or recommended tools/procedures for making custom length plug wires? If that's an entirely different discussion, Gary and admin please feel free to move to it's own thread, but I'm curious...

I saw a picture a while back of a SBF with the most gorgeous plug wiring job done on it, and the guy said that they were pre-made Taylor wires that he cut to fit. I've never done this, so I don't know what is involved.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I know you can buy wire kits that are extra long without the plug ends crimped on. Ive never tried, but I think I inherited a crimper from my grandfather. Id have to search for it.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I used to have one that did a beautiful job, it may have come from NAPA. It may still be in the container with the rest of my tools in Newport News. It did both straight and right angle ends.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Our friend Steve83 had a pretty detailed response to a question about modifying plug leads back in June(?) I believe.

GSM Blue had purchased 385 wires instead of Windsor ones.

The thread devolved, and I haven't seen much of him since.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.