classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windshield Leak

kramttocs
Administrator
Had a new one installed on Thursday. Installer used the one without the black ring so the vin could be seen. He also used butyl tape and some kind of black goo. I still need to polish the trim so he told me to bring it back whenever and he'd put it on.
Anyways, all was good and put a 100 miles on the truck Friday. Rained a little that night and in the morning the passenger floorboard had a wet spot right in the middle. Another plus for the mass backed carpet - nothing made it through so didn't have to prop up the carpet. Found that there is a really big leak a couple inches in on the top.

My question is when I call him tomorrow or take it by is this something that I need to insist on the windshield being pulled and redone? I don't know what he'll say but just in case he says he can put more of the black goo on it, I just want to know if that is acceptable or not.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windshield Leak

Angelo Voltura
A leaking windshield after replacement is absolutely not acceptable under any circumstances. I would be contacting him and having it redone.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks. Yeah, it will be fixed I am just not sure what the correct fix is. More and more I find that people want to do the quick thing and I want the knowledge going in of what the right thing is.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
More often than not I've found it's just not quite enough sealer in the area. It may not nessecarily be that he did a bad job, just a bit sparse in that particular area.

I wouldn't grille him over it. Just have touch it up.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
If the install is fresh, like that, I don't see a problem with touch up.

I've never really heard of using tape and urethane.
Tape is really old school. I don't (personally) know anyone who does it that way or thinks it should be anymore.

Flange prep and primer are key.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I didn't know there were different ways to install them until he brought it up. That's part of why I wanted to ask about touch up vs remove/reinstall. Wasn't sure if it made a difference on the type of material used for the install.
I don't plan on grilling him or being difficult. I fully understand that things like this happen. I just don't know anything about windshields and how leaks should be properly fixed.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
He's the pro and surely has had this happen before.  I'd see what he says, but I'll bet he has a good plan.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just to followup. Took it in this morning and they had to pull it. Turns out the tape didn't seal well to the cab. They replaced it with urethane.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I've never really heard of using tape and urethane.
Tape is really old school. I don't (personally) know anyone who does it that way or thinks it should be anymore.

Flange prep and primer are key.
When you say "tape" are you talking the Butyl tape like the factory used?
If so look no farther as that is how I installed mine, old school baby!

And for the ones that say the glass will pop out in a crash is BS!
This glass did not pop out and it still had the tape

I had to cut it out so I could get rid of it before 1 of our dogs got hurt on it when I put the cab outside my garage.

You get  the young guns that say the law said you cant use the tape. That may be true on the newer cars & trucks where the glass is glued in but not on the older stuff.
It is they just don't know how to install glass that uses the butyl tape.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Dave ----

btw my glass has not popped out yet
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
kramttocs wrote
Just to followup. Took it in this morning and they had to pull it. Turns out the tape didn't seal well to the cab. They replaced it with urethane.
Excellent!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I'm not saying it doesn't work, Dave.
Millions and millions of cars and trucks prove it did.

I'm saying I don't know anybody in that trade who would do it that way anymore.
It's slow, and more opportunity for failure than gluing it in.  ^^^^^proof, above.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ramses
Good info.

I"m close to having the windshield and rear glass reinstalled (86 f350). Going to contract the windshield, but was wondering if the molding clips are installed before or after the glass goes in.

On the rear glass is it just the new rubber around the glass and install with string? Anything else I have to be aware of?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I put the clips after the windshield.
Because I use a wire brush to prep for urethane primer.

In the rear, yes, just pull it in IF it's a black rubber gasket.
If it has the chrome locking strip, that goes after the window is in.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I put the clips in before taking it to the shop but that was only because of a past experience with a sloppy installer that had the glue bulged out to where putting them in after was a pain.

On the rear, if you do a CRL slider I would have the shop do it or make sure you add sealant in the corners. I say this because after installing mine myself the bottom corners dribbled a bit inside. Spoke to the glass guy and he knew exactly why - they have a little half circle piece of plastic glued onto the bottom corners that since it isn't directly part of the frame it leaves a slight gap. He pulled the bottom retaining trim, added some sealant, and no more leaks.

If it is the kind with the chrome strip and you want to do it yourself you can see if your glass guy will let you borrow the tool. It wasn't terrible without it and I don't know about with it.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ramses
Thanks Jim and Scott.

Rear glass is one-piece no chrome trim, just rubber. Is it a good idea to let he rubber out on the sun for a while to make it more flexible?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ramses wrote
Thanks Jim and Scott.

Rear glass is one-piece no chrome trim, just rubber. Is it a good idea to let he rubber out on the sun for a while to make it more flexible?
I did not use a new rubber, saving it for a new slider if I ever get one.
I reused the rubber that was on the glass on the parts truck.
I cleaned it up, did not see any cracks from it being dried out so I used it.
Yep cotton string soaked in liquid dish soap and then put in the slot in the rubber that the pinch weld goes in.
The hardest part for me was how to get in the bed of the truck with out stepping on the freshly painted tail gate while holding the glass with the rubber on it.

On the front clips I installed them after the glass was installed but my glass is not glued in.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I use either Go-Jo hand cleaner or "personal" lubricant. 🤫

Either one washes right off.
 Jim,