Window Regulator Motor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Window Regulator Motor

Bruno2
My son's 91 was having a passenger window issue. I assumed it was the gear pins. I have a donor door on hand so I pulled the motor out of it. The dimples had already been drilled out with the bolts exposed. Obviously it had been tampered with.  Pulled the motor and it was smoked on the pins so no free parts there. The snap ring was missing. Somebody has put the bubba rig on it.

We pulled the one with the issue from his truck. Opened it up and the snap ring was missing. The dimples were drilled over so yes tampered with by a different bubba.  Bubba doesnt seem to own a set of snap ring pliers.

There was anything wrong with it. The pins were new. I inspected it, but found no issues.  We plugged it in and it operated fine. We out it back together and tge window functions fine . My boy said tge bolts holding it on were not tight.  Maybe the bolts were loose and causing the problem. We shall see.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Window Regulator Motor

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bubba sure gets around.  

But the bolts being loose can cause problems with the alignment of the mechanism.  Those motors are just barely adequate when new, so it doesn't take much to stop them.

By the way, is James still working out of his garage?  May have a BW1345 for him to go through.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I think he is. If there isnt a rush on it Scotty can do it on the side. He is the guy that did your ZF.
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There won't be a rush.  Its the one in Big Blue, and when I pull him down for EFI and that ZF I want the 1345 refreshed and the mod added to the oil pump arm.  Do you know if he does the mod?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I thought that was just on the 1356? Let me check.  Even if he doesn't we can. It's just tacking a piece of rod or a cut off bolt the end of the pump arm where it fits in the slot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan says it is for both 1345's and 1356's.  Yes, I can easily add the rod to the end.  But, I'd need to go down and pick it up, bring it back and tack it, then take it back.  Easy to do, just have to coord w/Scotty.  And, measure how large the rod should be.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Did a little reading and yes the 1345 pump assembly is identical to the 1356. So yes it does need it. There is a welding rig down there. It may be possible to get them to do it there. It will just take a little splaining.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can take a pic with the t-case and show him what's needed.

Hard to believe BW didn't do that.  So simple.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, it is amazing to me that the window regulator motors are so weak. Jan and I pulled one at the junkyard for his ‘86 and we were commenting that it was similar in size to the starter on most European cars... yet it has difficulty lifting a piece of window glass! 😓

I also fond it odd and disappointing that Borg Warner designed that pump anchor the way they did on the 1345... and even repeated the mistake with the 1356. I guess they lasted plenty long enough in most instances,  but it seems like such an obvious problem point and so easy to remedy...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the window motors are just wimps. Just barely able to lift that glass when new, and when the window runs get hard, the grease runs out, etc they just don't do the job. But, I still think I'm going back electric on Dad's truck. However, it might be novel to have cranks as most kids have never used them. So, ......

As for the transfer case, it is such a simple fix that it really should have been standard. Sharp edges of hard metal against soft metal is not a good idea.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Bruno2
None of the early window motors I've pulled (probably dozens) had a snap-ring; even those that were obviously original.  And I usually leave it off of the later motors that I swap into older trucks - the later motors are smaller & stronger, but use the same connector.  Their middle mounting bolt is shifted outward ~3/16", so I either leave that bolt out or slot the regulator hole.