Window Issues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Window Issues

Bruno2
I am having a window issue on my 96. The windows are manual cranks.The glass is rocking back and forth binding up. Is this the regulator or what?
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Window Issues

Bruno2
I dont want to load the parts cannon. I would like to know how to diagnose it so I can get the right parts the first time and clip it.

Thanks!
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruno2
I don't think it is the "regulator".  As shown in the illustration here (Interior/Windows), that's just the crank mechanism that moves the window up and down.  Instead, assuming the '96 assembly is like the earlier ones, I suspect it is the plastic roller/slide that goes in the channel that the glass sets in.  Or, that the glass has come loose in that channel.

Can you pull the glass up w/o using the crank?  If so, it has come loose from the channel.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Brandon, most common problem with the window mechanism is lack of lubrication on the sliding block in the bottom channel on the glass itself. The other item that will cause problems is the rubber channel the glass rides in. If they get to worn the glass tilts as it tries to slide up, down will usually work reasonably well.

There are adjustments on the lower portion of the rear channel, but the door panel has to be removed to get to them. This is inside Darth's left front door, disregard the extra wiring, adjustment/attaching bolts are labeled.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Bruno2 wrote
The glass is rocking back and forth binding up.
The flocking is worn off the glass run, which causes binding & more wear on the rubber, which allows the glass to rock.  When you get a new run, apply dry Teflon lubricant to the flocking before installation.  It's also good for the main door seals (prevents noise & wear on the paint), and the vent window seal (reduces sticking).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3G6IFE
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JM8HM

This isn't necessarily the BEST part or price, but it's THE part:
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-1997-Ford-Bronco-and-F-Series-Truck-Weatherstrip-Run/productinfo/34394/

In the mean time, silicone spray &/or grease in the run will reduce the binding significantly, but it will wear away in a week or 3.