classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Window Glass Options

Machspeed
Administrator
I have some linear vertical scratches in both of the windows on my truck from bad seals and likely sand particle entrapment. I had thought to replace them but they are security etched. See pic below. As I recall, this was a big to do when I bought the truck new. Wondering if this was a Ford thing or dealer thing. If dealer thing, may just replace the glass.

Another option is removing the scratches. I've read about removing scratches in glass with metal polish. Anybody have knowledge of this.....ever do it?  

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Window Glass Options

old55pete
John, it's cool that all of your glass is etched with the vin. I went out and looked at the Bronco as it is an 86 also and nothing on it is etched. I know for fact that the two rear side windows, the tailgate window and the drivers door window have never been changed while I have owned it. I bought it in Sept 86, second hand. It may be only a dealer thing. Was it bought in a high theft area?
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Interesting, I’ve never seen that before that I remember.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowpony
I remember here in 'ol Battle Creek,Michigan, a couple of insurance companies did that. Some third party was hired by the company and set up a tent in the parking lot and did the VIN on the glass while you wait.
If I remember correctly, they offered some incentive for you to have it done. The thought was these parts would be harder, or impossible to sell in the stolen parts black market.
Curt
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by old55pete
old55pete wrote
John, it's cool that all of your glass is etched with the vin. I went out and looked at the Bronco as it is an 86 also and nothing on it is etched. I know for fact that the two rear side windows, the tailgate window and the drivers door window have never been changed while I have owned it. I bought it in Sept 86, second hand. It may be only a dealer thing. Was it bought in a high theft area?
Actually Steve, it was bought in a high theft area....San Antonio Texas. Lots of trucks missing in south Texas when I was there. Suspect a lot of them went to Mexico.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Let me guess, Ft Sam Huston or Lackland AFB, Camp Bulls?
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I've used cerium oxide to polish a dobsonian lens, but never tried to get scratches out.

I would think by the time you got to the bottom of the trough the glass would be so distorted its worse than just having the scratches.

The window etch thing was done after sale.
Sometimes sponsored by insurance companies or the local PD.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I have windows from my '84 that are still in good shape if you are interested and not to far away. I am in Northern KY.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I've used cerium oxide to polish a dobsonian lens
Nice, i assume that was that to polish the blank prior to aluminizing?

I have never figured a mirror myself, but it is on the bucket list. Oh, I am an Astrophysicist by education.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There was a telescope maker (optics guy) literally across the street from my brothers house.
RF Royce Optics.
He's retired and not doing much any more, but a decade ago he hooked me up with the knowledge and laps I needed.

We had met because we were both purchasing wooden tubes from the same place.
Me for rockets, him for telescopes.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.