Wind noise suppression

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wind noise suppression

66gtk
The wind noise driving my truck was terrible.  I progressively replaced seals starting with the door seals.  These were the most deteriorated so a good place to start.  Drove it for about a week with no other changes and didn't notice a significant difference.

I then proceeded to change the window seals.  Mine were dry, but they came out in one piece so they weren't really that bad.  I thought this would result in dramatic improvement.  It improved things, but not dramatically.

The final thing was to add the top of Door weatherstrip.  There were no signs my 83 F150 ever had this but I added it anyway.  I will say this made a dramatic improvement!  

If your truck doesn't have these pieces it's a great addition in combination with all new seals elsewhere.  
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wind noise suppression

85lebaront2
Administrator
When I put the later doors and seals on Darth it made a huge difference, biggest noise now is the rubber strips that were put on the roof and are coming out of their retainers. Even my big tow mirrors aren't noisy.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 66gtk
That's good to know!  Big Blue came with those seals, but if I remember correctly only the passenger's door has it now.  I have a new seal set to put on as the old ones are toast, so will make sure to add the extra one on top of the door.  Thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This is good to know as I do have wind noise and have yet to add the strips to my truck.
I know at 1 time there were measurements where the strips went could they be posted here so in 1 place if someone comes across this in a search.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think this what you need, Dave: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Help-with-Top-Door-Seal-Weather-Stripping-tp12029p12047.html

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by 66gtk
My truck was also incredibly bothersome to ride in with the wind noise too. I replaced all those seals and it was much improved but for some reason still had wind noise coming from the passenger side. I'll address that again after I fix a host of other things.....lol!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Machspeed wrote
My truck was also incredibly bothersome to ride in with the wind noise too. I replaced all those seals and it was much improved but for some reason still had wind noise coming from the passenger side. I'll address that again after I fix a host of other things.....lol!
I added the top of door seals, I took them from a parts 87 bronco. Improvement yes, but I think I need to work on my door alignment. Having glass packs on a 300 six, and Knobby Mud Terrains sort of doesn't help...okay it really sucks, but the truck makes my day everytime I drive it. I get thumbs up everwhere.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you for that Gary!

I need to look into better wind seals or a louder stereo.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
Would this be the ones referred to? The link to them over in the other post does not go anywhere at least for me. If they will help with wind noise and sealing from water getting in around the top weather stripping I need to definitely give them a try.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/weather-stripping/door-seals/e9tz-1520518-pr-top-of-door-seal
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary, thanks for posting that.
I may hold off on installing them till I have the AC working.
Would be funny to install them for wind noise but have all the windows and vents open to get cool air in the cab
81f100custom wrote
Would this be the ones referred to? The link to them over in the other post does not go anywhere at least for me. If they will help with wind noise and sealing from water getting in around the top weather stripping I need to definitely give them a try.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/weather-stripping/door-seals/e9tz-1520518-pr-top-of-door-seal
I do believe that is them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I didn't realize there were more seals outside of the door frame seal. Are these just glued in place?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Some trucks have a hole in the door that a tab goes into.  But most don't.  In any case, they glue on and the tab just positions them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think I'm going to try finding some 7' length of self adhesive entry door weather stripping.

Very similar profile.
If the garage door bottom works so well on the hood, why not?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think I'm going to try finding some 7' length of self adhesive entry door weather stripping.

Very similar profile.
If the garage door bottom works so well on the hood, why not?
Good idea! Let us know how it works if you try.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I need a hood gasket, what garage door bottom did you use?

My 84 has the gasket over the passenger door, but nothing on the driver side. Never thought much about it but I like the idea of the entrance door gasket, I have a piece stored in the garage. I will did it out and see how it works.

David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our page here shows the garage door gasket I used: Documentation/Underhood/Cowl Seal.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It might not be as good a match as I thought but for $7 I can afford to give it a try.

I'll trim off the fin and use some crazy acrylic adhesive double sided tape I already have.

Wipe the door clean with acetone or denatured alcohol and this stuff sticks like that aluminum foil duct tape.
 Jim,