Winch Mount Options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
80 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Winch Mount Options

Ray Cecil
Okay. I need a winch mount for the front of my truck. I am going to buy a 2nd winch for the truck. Just bought one for the trailer. I went with the Harbor Freight 3500 lb winch for the trailer. Might get a 2nd one for the truck. The winch is NOT for pulling the truck, but is for pulling logs.

I need options. Fast. People are filling my calendar up with tree to collect and some of them are nice specimens. I need to take advantage of this.

Can yall help me brainstorm?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Winch Mount Options

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think mounting a winch on the front of a Bullnose is going to be a quick solution.  The issue is that there aren't many new winch bumpers being made for these trucks, although I did see one recently so maybe you can find it by searching.  And the old Warn bumpers are sought after and are pretty rare.

Another option I've seen on Facebook is to cut an opening in the center of a standard Bullnose bumper, mount the winch behind the bumper, and pass the line through.  But that requires fabrication and will take even longer.

So, let's talk about the winch on trailer, which should be faster.  You'll be tempted to bolt it to the floor/deck of the trailer, but then your line will always drag across the deck.  And, the winch won't be helping you get the log onto the back end of the trailer.  Instead I'd put the winch about 12 - 18" above the deck on a stand of some kind.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
As far as the trailer goes, I think I found a good cheap and fast option. See pics below.

If I go this route, I can mount the winch to the truck instead of the trailer. I solve the issue of the winch being too low. I can also park the trailer, and back the truck down into the woods and winch logs out. Then just drag them with the truck up to the trailer.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like it'll work.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You have two trucks, which one are we putting a winch on?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
You need a way to keep the nose of the log up out of the dirt.
And I would say you need a much bigger winch.
Horrid Fate winches are slow enough (except the new Warrior) and when loaded they are going to slow even more (before they melt down)

Remind me which alternator you have in this vehicle?
Be sure to run oversized cables, because when the time comes you don't want to have to redo that as well.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Sorry for the confusion. Once I realized the best plan, I didnt properly update you guys.

The plan: mount winch on rear hitch of Silverado. Mount a snatch block in the middle of the trailer over the fender. Run winch cable across trailer past other fender. Log will be positioned parallel to trailer on the side opposite snatch block. Wrap cable over and back under log. Attach cable to trailer. Roll log up ramps with winch. I wont need to ever drag the log or lift one end onto trailer. The winch side loads it up over the trailer fender.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil

Something like this.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's ingenious!  It might even work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Iron Bull Bumpers makes one for the Bullnose but damn pricey at $1,200.00!

https://www.ironbullbumpers.com/collections/ford-f-150/products/1980-1986-ford-f-150-front-base-bumper

1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's likely going to work, Gary!

While it is going to be doubly slow at low take up speed, wrapping the log and reeling it in is a lot less strain.

Really, it's looking back at man power. Pioneers realized that rolling offered much less resistance and didn't require as much brute force.
Thus the peavy was born.

For much the same reasons that weather boards were split out of logs, and used to cover the sides and back of houses that were shingles on the front (appearance side)
Using a glut and commander was faster, easier, less waste and a riven board has no exposed end grain to absorb moisture or create a weak spot.
One horizontal clipboard required less nails and had far fewer seams to leak or let warmth out.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by emunder
emunder wrote
Iron Bull Bumpers makes one for the Bullnose but damn pricey at $1,200.00!

https://www.ironbullbumpers.com/collections/ford-f-150/products/1980-1986-ford-f-150-front-base-bumper

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's likely going to work, Gary!
Yeah, it'll work. Here is the scope:
Logs No larger than 26" Diameter (14" min)
Currently can handle up to 10'5" Long log on mill.
Heaviest species wet around here I will likely obtain will be oak.
A 26" diameter wet Pin Oak log 10'5" long is about 1900lbs.

So, a 3500lb winch doubled over, rolling the log will work as long as I get everything setup correctly and don't snag anything while pulling the log.

Duty cycle on the winch is 45 seconds @ 3500lb load.
I am halving the 1900lbs by wrapping the cable around the log. So 950lbs. 3500/950 = 3.68 times the duty cycle. So 3.68*45sec= 165 seconds. That is about 2 minutes 45 seconds I can run the winch with a 1900lb log on it. That is more than enough time to roll a 26" log up those ramps.

Winch Rest time between duty cycles is 14 minutes 15 seconds.In the colder weather I will be operating in, I can likely shrink that rest time some. Although, I am not going to be loading the next log sooner than 14 minutes anyway, I will likely be spending all that time extracting the next log from the woods. I can only get two 1900lb logs onto the trailer before I am PUSHING the load cap on the trailer. 7000lb gross. To be safe, I don't think I will push past 6000lbs on the trailer at any one time. I will just make more trips.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, but you're not shifting all that weight.
You're rolling it, and you have the log radius as a lever in the equation.
(Try moving your truck by rolling one tire and you will see the advantage of the lever)

So, what kind of alternator does your Silverado have?
What's the amp draw of your winch at load?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Good questions. I plan to build an auxiliary control box that has all the guts for controlling the winch, plus an auxiliary battery that matches the trucks battery. I saw Gary suggested a smart battery switch thingy....oh my god its expensive. I don't think I will be using that!

Upgrading the trucks factory alternator may or may not be needed, I need to look into that.

I didn't note the amp draw on the winch at load, I will get that when I get home.

Good questions.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, what kind of alternator does your Silverado have?
What's the amp draw of your winch at load?
Googled it. Don't you love google?

Looks like my factory alternator is 105 amps, and easily upgraded to 145 amps

Here is the specs on the winch. But I don't see an amp draw at load yet....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You need some kind of continuous-duty relay to connect your trailer battery to the truck's charging system.  It doesn't have to be the fancy Cole Heresee, but you need something rated for at least the output of the biggest alternator it will be used with.

It is possible your dad's truck has a relay built in.  But it sounds like you are going to build a box that will go with the trailer.  If your dad's truck has the relay built in then you don't want or need to put one in your trailer's electrical box.  So if you are going to use that arrangement with Little Blue you could put the relay on the truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Its interesting as the wire spools into the winch, the load pulling ability decreases. This makes absolute sense, I just hadn't considered it before.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, the winch came with a relay.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil