Why drive a truck with a big six cylinder?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why drive a truck with a big six cylinder?

1986F150Six
Administrator
As I drove to work, this morning, I asked myself the question listed in the subject line, above. The answer is: it is so pleasing to feel the very flat torque characteristics, every time you go through the gears. Quiet and unobtrusive.

Walk softly and carry a big six!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why drive a truck with a big six cylinder?

Ray Cecil
I was unsure if I would like the 300. Being historically a Chevy guy who has always had 8 cylinders and at least 327 cubes, I was not expecting anything special.

I have absolutely enjoyed the 300 Six. Its not fast, but it is oddly enjoyable. The flat torque curve makes it accelerate like a diesel. It just feels like a tractor/diesel truck. With a turbo, it might even sound like a baby cummins.

It is simple and easy to work on. Mine has 1/4 million miles on it, and it runs great. Doesn't burn oil. Perfect compression.

The sound is unique, and enjoyable. Yes, its no 302 or bigger v8, but it is interesting and fun to hear. I guess it reminds me of childhood, when all my dads friends drove 300 Six Fords. So there is some connection there.

I have priced out the cost of swapping in a spare 4.8 Liter Chevy LS engine I have sitting here. While that would be a fun project, and net a good result, the truck would change personality. Not to mention, it might cause me to lose a few Ford friends....maybe. I think most folks here aren't going to chastise a chevy swap. However, I'm not ready for that yet. I have really loved the way the 300 is.

Someone mentioned religion in another post, and how we shouldn't really talk about it here. I agree. However, I think engine choice and how it effects someone's confidence in their truck, can be closely related to religious choice. I think, whatever we choose to power our trucks with, should be our choice, and if we don't want different opinions, or are not open to criticism, we shouldn't mention it or start a topic to begin with.

With that being said, Dave, I don't think anyone on this forum will criticize your choice of a 300.

Take Care

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
LOL!  I could say the same about a 460.  Big Blue's 460 pulls like a tractor from idle right on up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 300 is an excellent truck engine.  And I'm not a huge 460 believer.  Yes, the 460 has tractor-like torque, but there's a major difference in at least one aspect - MPG.  Yours gets almost exactly twice the MPG as BB.

Plus, you can get to your engine under the hood to work on it.  Good luck on a 460.

Anyway, I think I need to own something with that 300 in it one of these days.  A '50 Chevy?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, I think I need to own something with that 300 in it one of these days.  A '50 Chevy?  
You are half the way there, Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  And, it would counter someone else installing a French engine in a Ford.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
Yep.  And, it would counter someone else installing a French engine in a Ford.  
Its all steel, aluminum, rubber and plastic to me. I couldn't care less who made it. As long as its a good piece of engineering and gives me joy.

Its kinda like women. Who cares where it was made, or what brand it is, as long as its a nice piece, its a nice piece......
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
There is the Church of Speed... who's dictum is 'there's no replacement for displacement'.
(that can be natural or augmented aspiration)

And then there are other beliefs:

Chapman's 'add lightness'
Yunick's 'if you ain't cheating you ain't racing'
Shelby's.... well you get the idea.

The 300 is a tractor engine.
Incredibly reliable and easy to work on.
It has a pace of its own, just like the tortoise and the hare.
It will get almost anything almost anywhere... as long as you're not in a hurry.

I can't think of a more enjoyable way to take a Sunday ride.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hmmmm… that's deep, Jim.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I think that is why I like the 300 so much. It makes you slow down and just enjoy the drive. You literally CAN'T get in a hurry, so you don't get in a hurry. Suddenly those tailgaters that you would have been angry about become admirers of your trucks, otherwise why would they be so close? The 300 is good medicine, that is for sure. Also, the way these trucks handle, leaves sporty competitive driving in the rear view as well. Maybe I have never owned or driven a properly aligned TTB, but in my opinion, they are not confidence inspiring. The two I have owned both tended to wander all over the road. The light weight nature of the trucks doesn't make it feel "planted". Maybe I just need to tighten things up to change my mind.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Don't get me wrong, I think the 300 is an excellent truck engine.  And I'm not a huge 460 believer.  Yes, the 460 has tractor-like torque, but there's a major difference in at least one aspect - MPG.  Yours gets almost exactly twice the MPG as BB.

Here is an idea, Gary. In the past, you and I drove the "loop" for gas mileage. You commented, at that time, that my truck was at a disadvantage due to me following and having to catch up with the lead truck. This year, let's you and I take my truck and fill up at Mr. Bass's and you drive the whole way [I'll enjoy the scenery]. Back to the "fillin" station and see what the mileage is?

It will only take a little over an hour and I can arrive early.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I like torque!

I think me and the big six would get along just fine!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
That's a good idea, David.  But maybe you should drive Blue.  Just swap trucks for the same drive and see what happens.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It will get almost anything almost anywhere... as long as you're not in a hurry.
Even with a million original miles & only 3 gears, mine will still push my 3-ton Bronco into triple digits, and keep it there (except on uphills).  I've been driving the '95F for the past few days, and with the new engine mounts, it's VERY peppy & smooth through all 5 gears.  I was passing traffic doing 90 today, and had to slow down a few times.  I'm not ready to take it up to 100 yet, though - gotta change some suspension bushings...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Maybe David should lead with his 300 and you should follow?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - With the right gearing the 300 can do about any job.  Looks like you have the right gearing for driving fast.  

Jim - I think part of the issue is that I know the road well.  I know how much to throttle up to maintain speed, where to let off to coast, how fast to take the curves, etc.  And I believe that can be a big factor in achieving good MPG.

So David's at a disadvantage no matter which vehicle he drives.  But, if he were in the lead and if I was trying to mimic him, as you suggest, then my advantage would be nullified.  However, I don't know that I could be relied upon to mimic him.  I think I'd revert to driving the road the way I always drive it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The Bronco's gears are 3.08 w/NP435 (no OD); the F150's 2.73 w/Mazdog (OD), so I can't actually get it to 3500RPM in 5th.  If there was a downhill nearby a couple miles long, and there was a helluva tailwind, it might get up there if I let it, but it'd probably be doing 150mph and the tires would explode.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Steve83 wrote
The Bronco's gears are 3.08 w/NP435 (no OD); the F150's 2.73 w/Mazdog (OD), so I can't actually get it to 3500RPM in 5th.  If there was a downhill nearby a couple miles long, and there was a helluva tailwind, it might get up there if I let it, but it'd probably be doing 150mph and the tires would explode.
I would like to watch!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
I thought you were running pretty tall gears to cruise that fast with a 300.  I'm not saying anything bad about that engine, but it isn't fond of high R's.  So to cruise at that speed w/o effort means tall gears.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
 I'm not saying anything bad about that engine, but it isn't fond of high R's.
Um.... okay.
I'll just drop this here:   https://youtu.be/ogo10TcVK8g
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess I should have said "in its stock configuration".

With 7 main bearings the 300 has a significant enough foundation to support a lot of power - and RPM. However, with the log intake and exhaust manifolds, not to mention that they are on the same side of the engine, it is difficult to get them to rev very high.

Enter the Frenchtown Flyer with his cross-flow head and tubular intakes and exhausts. THEN the 300 can rev.