Why Ethanol why! - another destroyed fuel pump

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why Ethanol why! - another destroyed fuel pump

archeman
I think that these pumps are good for about 5 years before the ethanol in the gas (10% where I live) eats the rubber tubing away.

It seems easy enough to me to replace the rubber tubing with material that can stand up to the awful gasoline of the modern world.
Does anyone have a solution or can post a link that I can order a few feet to replace all the tubing in my two tanks.

19Gal front fuel tank pump

No wonder it only ran well on more than 1/2 tank
86 F150 302efi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why Ethanol why! - another destroyed fuel pump

85lebaront2
Administrator
I believe it is SAE J70R9 I used on my LeBaron convertible. I will have to look and let you know.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

archeman
I found this link on Amazon but it always helps to have confirmation from others who have had success:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Blue-Ethanol-Resistant-Chainsaw/dp/B08DRPC58P

The tubing above is for 2 stroke motors but it likely will work for my truck. My truck is NOT my daily driver so it often waits for a 'truck' mission to get on the road. 2 strokes often sit idle for long periods between use.

I read a thread in this forum about the problems with sending units not matching well with the fuel gage and I definitely have that problem too with my new pump so if I'm going to have to wrestle the tank down again I would rather just fix the old pump and keep this new one as an emergency spare.
86 F150 302efi
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
We have non-ethanol gasoline available here in Texas. It costs 40 cents a gallon more, but we don't get all the ethanol problems in our carbs especially small engines like zero turns. Our chainsaws run on synthetic fuel.  Have not had to touch a carb since we started doing this method.

FYI
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.