Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
I think the grille on that ruck is the stock chrome/argent one.  The inner bars are lighter and duller than the shiny chrome face and therefore tend to "disappear" under most lighting.  Also, the grilles angle slightly down from top to bottom, which contributes to this effect.  The early grille on my truck is the completely painted one, which is why more of the inner bars can be seen.  If I go with the early style grille, I will replace it with a chrome/argent version, and *probably* go with the colorless turn signal lenses.

I would like to try to use the 1980/1981 hood letters, but I am not about to go drilling holes in my hood to use them.  I can break off the mounting tabs, but the letters themselves are hollow inside.  There just isn't much meat around the edges to use double stick tape to hold the letters to the hood.  Plus, these are metal, and you have to be careful or they will scratch the paint.  Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Clean the wax off the hood and fill the letters with RTV silicone.

Use a plastic spreader to get any squeeze out after it is cured.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
That's an idea.

Do you mean the black RTV silicon like in the link below?  Will that stuff damage the paint underneath?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37460-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000FW7V3M

There is also a "high performance" version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FW7V3C/ref=psdc_15718921_t2_B000FW7V3M

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
How about doing the letters in vinyl decals?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Rick,

You don't want the gasket maker you want the Adhesive Sealant

It won't damage anything and you can cut the letters off with fishing line if you decide to change
(like the debadging trend)

You will have to rub the residue off with terry cloth or microfiber once the letters are off though.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

Anyway, I like the early grille with the faux early hood.  It just seems too busy with the later grille and the lettering on the hood.
My thoughts exactly. Id replace lariat with Ford.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by salans7
Also, I have the 82 grill with blue oval, and clear blinkers. I think that it looks good. I think the clear blinkers are by far better looking on any year.

I prefer the blue oval grill, but NOT with letters. If you HAVE to have hood letters, go with the earlier grill.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?
I'd fill them with a two part epoxy, like JB Weld or Kwiksteel, etc...there are a half a dozen different brands. JB Weld is likely the cheapest and easiest to mix and fill the voids with imho. Then stick 'em on with 3M double sided tape, etc...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Rembrant wrote
LARIAT 85 wrote
Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?
I'd fill them with a two part epoxy, like JB Weld or Kwiksteel, etc...there are a half a dozen different brands. JB Weld is likely the cheapest and easiest to mix and fill the voids with imho. Then stick 'em on with 3M double sided tape, etc...
That’s a great idea! I like that!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I find that even 3M's best efforts (red body trim tape) tend to loosen when you have a pocket (O,R,D) and my hood gets plenty hot to soften that adhesive.

Though I'll be the first to admit I've never tried this exact application, I would hate to see one of those NOS letters go flying off while driving.

Silicones, on the other hand, are good to 400* ( or more!) and very tenacious on clean smooth surfaces.
That's exactly why they're useful to seal windows and bathroom tile.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Silicones, on the other hand, are good to 400* ( or more!) and very tenacious on clean smooth surfaces.
That's exactly why they're useful to seal windows and bathroom tile.
Good point. I figured the regular two sided tape stuff would be better since it is easier to remove in case he doesn't like it. He's going through some test phases here. 
However, I am a big fan of silicone...that will most definitely adhere the best, but it will also be the worse to remove if he doesn't like it;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It won't be worse than* JB Welding them to the hood!  

But we know that wouldn't let go.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It won't be worse that JB Welding them to the hood!  

But we know that wouldn't let go.
I'm sure you were joking, but I thought the JBW idea was to fill the hollows in order to have more surface area to grab with double-stick tape or silicone.  No?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You DO see the evil grin, right?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I did and do.  But was just wondering if I was mistaken.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I was thinking about the F O R D hood letters a little bit more, and I had a thought.  The 1980 and 1981 models stretched the F O R D letters across the center of the hood, and the aluminum tailgate finish panel also had F O R D letters stretched across the center:

When the aluminum tailgate finish panel was redesigned for the 1985 and 1986 models, the same FORD letters were used, but they were now closer together and shifted to the right:

How do you think it would look, if I were to place the FORD letters closer together and shifted to the right of the hood?  This would match the placement of the letters on the back better to make it look more consistent - like something Ford *might* have done if they were still using hood letters in 1985?  I would use slightly smaller letters, like what was found on the 1979 and 1980 Mustang.  These are in the same font style as the 1980 and 1981 truck hood letters:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think I'd like that, Rick.  It is your truck, but ......

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
Im not always a factory guy, but I have to agree with gary on this one.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Oh, good, you put a thumbs-down emoji on here:

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Again, just a thought.

How do you think the FORD letters look closer together and on the right of the redesigned 1985 tailgate panel?

How do you think the FORD letters look closer together and on the right of the 1979 Mustang hood?

Would it look odd to see the F  O  R  D letters stretched across the center of the hood (1980/1981 style), combined with the FORD letters closer together and on the right of the tailgate trim panel (1985/1986 style)?