Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

LARIAT 85
That is an interesting idea.  I think the 1980 style grille without hood letters, and the two FORD fog lights would look good.

I just had another thought.  How would it look to remove the "F150" and "XLT" fender emblems, and add the 1979 - 1993 Ford Mustang "5.0" emblem in it's place?  I mean, I *do* have a 5.0 engine, with 1985 Mustang valve covers and twin snorkel air cleaner...

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I used to see a lot of scuzzy guys around here driving crummy little imports with '5.0' badging on their fenders.  It wasn't a good look.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
I just had another thought.  How would it look to remove the "F150" and "XLT" fender emblems, and add the 1979 - 1993 Ford Mustang "5.0" emblem in it's place?  I mean, I *do* have a 5.0 engine, with 1985 Mustang valve covers and twin snorkel air cleaner...
There was a truck for sale locally a year or so ago with the 5.0 badges on the fenders. I even saved a a couple pictures of it;).

It's not my thing personally, but I've seen it a few times over the years. It's common enough that LMC sells the Mustang 5.0 badges in the 1980-1996 truck badges section as a "popular addition".

I like the factory 1982-1986 badges with the long F personally. Surprisingly, I think a lot of people pay no attention to them at all...lol. I've had guys walk up to my truck on car nights and ask me if it's an F100.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
I don't think I want to replace my fender emblems with "5.0" emblems.  That would just invite too many people to want to race.  I can see every knucklehead in a Chevrolet truck revving his engine up beside me when I am stopped at a light.

Now that I have a 1980 style grille, I am wondering about 1980 style clear turn signals.  What is the deal with those anyway?  Was there a reason why Ford dropped those after only one year for the amber ones?  

I just *love* the way this looks.  Would the clear turn signals look better on my dark red/brown truck than the amber turn signals?

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I will guess the change to amber was law driven. The turn signals must be amber, so amber bulbs will need to be used inside the clear lenses.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=E0TZ-13200-A&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=turn+signal+lenses+Ford+F150+NOS+1981&LH_TitleDesc=0
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Daniel Stern Lighting could tell you WAY more than you need to know about the legislation and the wavelength (hue) you are supposed to have.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
When I say "clear," I mean the stock WHITE lens that was found on the 1980 trucks.  I just assumed the bulb would be amber.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
How about "colorless"?
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I can go along with "colorless."

But I never got your opinion on "colorless" versus amber turn signals on my truck, Chief.  What do you think?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I would stay with the amber.

The good thing, Rick, is that what is being discussed [grill / turn signals / hood letters] are all items which if changed, can be easily returned to the previous. There is no damage done... it's all what YOU like.
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
I think the 80's grill looks best may look better with some fresh paint like the 82+ grill.
Eric 1981 F100 - 300 I6 - M5OD Swap 2003 G35 Drift Sedan 6mt RWD - Ricer @OnlyETM Ontario, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
LARIAT 85 wrote
Now that I have a 1980 style grille, I am wondering about 1980 style clear turn signals.  What is the deal with those anyway?  Was there a reason why Ford dropped those after only one year for the amber ones?  

I just *love* the way this looks.  Would the clear turn signals look better on my dark red/brown truck than the amber turn signals?
It's a known fact that the more 1980 stuff you have on a truck, the better it looks.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
"colorless" lens would look great. Every fashion conscious Ford owner knows that amber clashes with dark red.<smiley image="smiley_good.gif"
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Shaved, frenched, chopped and channeled.

Even today debadging cars is a big thing!

The numnutz who put performance badges on their base model, or Bentley on their Chrysler 300 should be laughed out of town.
I fixed it for you
I am not much into the shaved part. Badging and chrome but I hate the look of shaved door handles.
Flush mount is fine but it have to have a door handle to open the door from the out side.

I have also added a 50's custom touch to my truck - floating bumpers!

As for with or with out the oval or the hood letters:
If you keep the 6 letters then I think the oval looks good as now you know it is a FORD and the model.
With out the oval you don't know who makes it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Dorsai
I prefer the clear park lenses, but it depends on the color of the truck. A brighter color truck generally looks better with the amber park lenses.

Dorsai wrote
It's a known fact that the more 1980 stuff you have on a truck, the better it looks.
This guy, knows how it is.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
As for with or with out the oval or the hood letters:
If you keep the 6 letters then I think the oval looks good as now you know it is a FORD and the model.
With out the oval you don't know who makes it.
Dave ----

I agree with this.  That was my original reasoning with the "L A R I A T" hood letters paired with the Ford oval in the grille.  

If I keep the "L A R I A T" hood letters with the 1980 grille, the two fog lamps have Ford ovals on them.

If I keep the 1980 grille and choose not to use the fog lamps, I will either use "F O R D" hood letters or none at all.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Whisler
<quote author="Whisler">
"colorless" lens would look great. Every fashion conscious Ford owner knows that amber clashes with dark red.
I like the amber ones, good thing my truck is not dark red LOL

I do have a set od colorless ones I can try but with the colorless head lights and the colorless fog / driving lights in the bumper I think the colorless turn / park lens would be too much colorless LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Whisler
Whisler wrote
"colorless" lens would look great. Every fashion conscious Ford owner knows that amber clashes with dark red.
Agreed, a red truck and white lenses go well together.

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
LARIAT 85 wrote
Slightly off topic, but is that one of the aftermarket chrome/black grills? Didn't they only come in grey or black from Ford?

If yes, those chrome grills are really growing on me. I have both the original grey one, and the black one I bought used locally, but the few trucks I have seen with the chrome grills looked nice.

As for which gen grills look better, I stated above that I prefer the later grills with the Ford oval in the center, but I do also like the 1980-1981 grill with the Ford letters on the hood. I think my personal preference would be for a factory configuration...be it early or late, with the only exception being that I'd also consider a chrome grill;). (PS: and I'm only referring to a grill that is factory in appearance...not an aftermarket grill if that makes any sense. There are some mods on these trucks that I'm personally not a fan of but they are very popular overall with the Bullnose crowd).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Factory grilles did come in chrome.  Here's a snippet from the Exterior/Grilles & Headlights page and the Grilles & Moulding tab:

I have a NOS one for Dad's truck, and had the paint/body man leave the FORD letters off the hood.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI