Where’s the belt tensioner?!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where’s the belt tensioner?!

Jordanlogo
Anyone know where the tensioner is on this double v belt system?

Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

1982 Ford F-250 XL - "Clifford, the Big Red Ford"
5.8L v8 351w T18 4spd Manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where’s the belt tensioner?!

CRittaler
what are you trying to tension?

V belt systems don't usually have a tensioner.  If you look at the first picture you have you can see the belt between the crank and alternator.  The tension on the alternator belt is adjusted by loosening the bolts that hold it slightly and then prying between the alternator and engine block, holding the tension and tightening one of the bolts down to hold it before tightening the rest.  I don't know the specific amount of deflection that is specified, I'm sure someone else can chime in with that.

On the bottom picture it's the same procedure, loosen the bolts a little and then pry,  the bolts follow the slotted holes.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
Okay cool. I’m trying to swap out my alt so I guess I’ll just take off the screws on the slider mount and then when I put the new alt on just pull tension and tighten?
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

1982 Ford F-250 XL - "Clifford, the Big Red Ford"
5.8L v8 351w T18 4spd Manual
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
yes,

You'll loosen the bolts that hold the alternator, this will release the tension from the belt.  You can then push the alternator towards the engine, it'll swing on the upper bolt(s) and then you can remove the belt.

Then remove the bolts completely and disconnect the connectors.  Obviously have the battery disconnected.

when you're resetting the tension, lightly snug the bolts up so that when you're prying on the alternator to set the tension you only have to tighten a 1/2 turn or so to snug it up.  I usually aim for ~1/2 in deflection, but I don't measure it, it's just an experience thing.  Too loose and the belt slips, to tight and it's added strain on the bearings.

You'll have to retention the belt after a month or so, it'll start slipping as the belt stretches.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
I use one like this to tension mine with. I didn't have one for the longest but decided to get one since I have so many with v belts.

Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.