What would you pay for a junkyard shell?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What would you pay for a junkyard shell?

Vic Roma
I’m on my way to a junkyard that has a Bronco that was scavenged  for parts and has: no tailgate, no backseat, tattered front seats (and generally a trashed interior), no gearbox, no front axel (but can’t tell about front steering etc.), no wheels, no engine, rusty rear wheel arches, but seemingly all other sheet (doors, hood, roof) ok but with normal surface rust.

Out of curiosity, and basis a previous question I raised on this forum, I asked, and they said yes, to whether they would sell the anorexic heap.

Me: Ah, $700 you say? Would you accept $500? (I know, not the deal of the decade.)
He: If you’re putting it on a trailer, we can lift it on for you. If you want wheels, we’re in the ballpark but we can discuss later.

Not a good price no doubt, especially when some of you have picked up driving and non-driving-but-fixable trucks for around the same money, give or take.

What would you pay for a relic like I described?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What would you pay for a junkyard shell?

Rembrant
I paid WAY too much for my Bullnose, so I'm certainly in no position to shame anybody else for what they would pay for one, but $500 would be a pretty good deal in my area for something that was usable or fixable...assuming that is what you want to do with it? Even IF it's a MAJOR project, you need something sturdy to start with imho.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Yes, fix it then use it.

But $500 for something that needs a new mechanical front end, and a reportedly crappy repro tailgate?

Agreed re you need something to start with, and that’s why I’m making the effort (to convince the wife I was going to fly out/drive back cross country for a truck part or two, and to actually do it!).

I don’t know the condition of the frame; with no wheels it’s on the ground so there may be rust or damage to the undercarriage but I've only seen a *few* photos of it. Still, it’s the recurring thought that others have paid the around same for so much more, that makes me think to pick more off it and leave the rest.

It’s a shame though, as these trucks will one day be gone and if I can save just one... hundred...

Sincerely,
Bronco Rescue Foundation
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Yes, fix it then use it.

But $500 for something that needs a new mechanical front end, and a reportedly crappy repro tailgate?

Agreed re you need something to start with, and that’s why I’m making the effort (to convince the wife I was going to fly out/drive back cross country for a truck part or two, and to actually do it!).

I don’t know the condition of the frame; with no wheels it’s on the ground so there may be rust or damage to the undercarriage but I've only seen a *few* photos of it. Still, it’s the recurring thought that others have paid the around same for so much more, that makes me think to pick more off it and leave the rest. It’s a shame though, as these trucks will one day be gone and if I can save just one... hundred...

Sincerely,
Bronco Rescue Foundation
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
If you intend to fix and drive it, find out what the status of the title is. Most junkyards have to give everything a salvage title before parts can be removed. You can apply for a restored salvage title, but it requires a fairly expensive level III inspection before it can be registered. The inspection may not be honored in other states, and the overall value of your vehicle will always be less. I bought a frame/cab from a junkyard about 8 years ago and decided against moving forward with the project because the title legalities were not what I wanted on a “forever” truck. The inspection price, I believe, was $375 in AZ and may have gone up since then. I’m not trying to be discouraging, I am all in favor of saving Broncos, flaresides, crew cabs etc., but just find out from the seller and the local MVD what you are getting yourself into.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Funny....ive got an 87 bronco complete sitting here I was wondering what to do with it. Where are you located?

Ive got your tailgate, topper, seats, console, front and rear axles. Some POS wheels with decent tires.....

Im keeping the 302/C6 and tcase.

Contact me and if you are close enough. Ill make you a helluva deal.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Ford F834, thanks! Not discouraging at all; useful info which I need to know before I make a(nother) blunder.

Ray, pm-ing...
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ford F834, thanks! Not discouraging at all; useful info which I need to know before I make a(nother) blunder.

Ray, pm-ing...
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Ray, tried and failed to contact you. babble sent me an “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender” email. Are you able to pm me?
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Ford F834, you were right. DMV said if salvage title, it’s very difficult to register. So much for saving/rebuilding this truck though. Might still buy it for parts.

Ray, sorry, can’t use your parts truck anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Yes, restoring a salvage titled vehicle is possible, but generally more trouble than it’s worth unless it’s a very special vehicle somehow. It definitely ups the effort and cost. Not all junkyard titles are salvage, if they sell complete used cars those usually are not (salvage). But I’m pretty sure legally they have to change them to salvage status to sell parts off of them, which your Bronco obviously has. If you buy it for parts, just offer accordingly.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Having to piece a vehicle together is just awful. I'm on my second "one piece at a time" project, and finding the parts is just a nightmare. Either there's nothing locally, or I have to pay an arm and a leg for out of state parts shipped to me.

After doing this twice now, I refuse to buy anything else that I have to piece together. The next truck will be running and driving, even though my F350 technically was.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Agreed. I am renovating a house, top-to-bottom, inside out, down to the studs, touching every surface. The last thing I need is to spend a lifetime and a small fortune chasing every nut, bolt, missing part that I don’t know is needed. I talked myself into  rebuilding the relic but that was the blunder y’all saved me from.

That said...

Ray, is your earlier offer an “all or nothing” deal?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Vic Roma wrote
Agreed. I am renovating a house, top-to-bottom, inside out, down to the studs, touching every surface. The last thing I need is to spend a lifetime and a small fortune chasing every nut, bolt, missing part that I don’t know is needed. I talked myself into  rebuilding the relic but that was the blunder y’all saved me from.

That said...

The body on this bronco and most everything else is "well used". I would not restore this bronco. My buddy wants the engine, trans and tcase. Everything else will be available.

The body mounts are all gone. The body is welded to the frame to keep it from falling off. Its a parts truck.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
That works. I was thinking parts, specifically tailgate. Is it in good shape? 

On Oct 29, 2019, at 9:14 PM, Ray Cecil [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Vic Roma wrote

That said...

The body on this bronco and most everything else is "well used". I would not restore this bronco. My buddy wants the engine, trans and tcase. Everything else will be available.

The body mounts are all gone. The body is welded to the frame to keep it from falling off. Its a parts truck.
Ray Cecil
1982 Flareside 300 Six, Hedman Dual Header, NP208, SROD 4 Speed, 1 Wire HEI
1969 Impala Custom Coupe, 86,000 miles, 327, Powerglide (FOR SALE/TRADE)
1999 Silverado, 349,000 miles, 5.3 Automatic Z71 4WD
2008 Tahoe 2WD 5.3 with Cylinder Deactivation mode (wife's)

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/What-would-you-pay-for-a-junkyard-shell-tp42330p42377.html
To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Vic, it has some rust in the lower part of the tailgate. I'm not sure to what extent it goes. I'm not even sure if an 87 fits a 80-86. I am assuming they are the same, but assumptions usually get me in trouble. The seats are in great shape. Automatic locking front axles, dual shock. Not a 9" rear, I think its called an 8.5"?? I believe it has 3.50 gears. Its all pretty rough man. Both driveshafts have spline issues. Rear axle pinion bearing is bad.

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Oh yeah, I remember that one from a few posts ago. A real cover model. No point in buying a replacement rusty tailgate; I have one of those already. I’ll leave it but thanks for the offer.

Tailgates were interchangeable from 78/79, 80/82, 83/96. I believe the main differences between 82 and 83 exist between the latches. Steve83 has a page on this too.