What was the factory color under the Cowl grill?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What was the factory color under the Cowl grill?

reamer
With hood off, and cowl removed to inspect wiper arms, what color is the air intake "tub" supposed to be?
Factory color of your truck?, black? the Ford grey?

Might as well get it while the cowl grill is off..
Thanks
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What was the factory color under the Cowl grill?

Steve83
Banned User
AFAIK, the cab was sprayed its final color with the primed hood, wiper valance, doors, fenders, & bumper valance installed & adjusted (aligned).  So the wiper cowl would have light overspray at the bottom, and slotted overspray on the upper crossbars (immediately below the valance).

Why?  If you're about to paint yours, paint it all, with everything disassembled.  Then touch up after assembly.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Steve83 wrote
AFAIK, the cab was sprayed its final color with the primed hood, wiper valance, doors, fenders, & bumper valance installed & adjusted (aligned).  So the wiper cowl would have light overspray at the bottom, and slotted overspray on the upper crossbars (immediately below the valance).

Why?  If you're about to paint yours, paint it all, with everything disassembled.  Then touch up after assembly.
That's what I did, painted the cowl with the cover off so it would get color down inside not that you would see it with the wiper assy. installed and cover on.

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
You may be asking more about down near where the interior foot wells are for the foot vents (?), but pretty darn sure that everywhere i've seen under my cowl, wipers etc has been body color-not indicative of overspray, but "purposeful" painting.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
With hood off, and cowl removed to inspect wiper arms, what color is the air intake "tub" supposed to be?
Factory color of your truck?, black? the Ford grey?

Might as well get it while the cowl grill is off..
Thanks
Ron,

I'm pretty sure mine is as Steve83 described....there might be a little bit of paint in there, but not a lot. My truck didn't even have much paint on the firewall for that matter...but that's how they did 'em.

Did you replace the foam seal between the cowl panel and the cab? Mine crumbled apart the first time I removed the cowl (to install the hydraulic clutch brace). I bought some stuff locally and cut it all to fit.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I knew I had pictures...but you can't see down inside the cavity very well. Looks like it's fairly "blue" on mine. The truck had been painted before, but they didn't remove the cowl panel (They actually painted right over the washer fluid nozzle...lol).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995